Ducati new VFR

chinook

• Member Contributer

A white Ducati?  Wow, absolutely shameless copying of Honda (again...)  :tongue:

Ciao,

This is funny, I posted this same exact comment on a local sport bike website in Southern California.  It's Ducati's "VFR". 

Ok so I'm most likely biased.  But looking at just pictures, and this is just me, but the VFR800 looks more handsome.  Nevertheless, Ducati clearly feels this market is NOT dead.  Furthermore, they most likely believe there is a coming renaissance; enough to invest plenty of money in the new SS.  Perhaps the Adventure Bike craze is beginning to show some cracks and the naked sport bike craze has also hit its peak.  Perhaps consumers are feeling the itch of having a fully faired sport bike with naked bike comfort, and reasonable height and girth compared to the Adventure behemoths. 

honda-vfr-800-f-white.jpg

• Member Contributer

There's a saying, "What a difference a year makes" Well here's what 21 years ago looked like! It would be very hard to sell my 900SS/SP but upgrading to to a 2017 might be less painful.:unsure:

Ducati-Anderson-Center-Stand-02_zpskz3ho

• Member Contributer

Darryll you've kept that Duc in immaculate condition. It looks exactly like it did [Plus a couple nice bits added] when you first started teaching me to ride in.....1997??

• Member Contributer

Beautiful, I have always had a soft spot for those Ducs!

• Member Contributer

Well the UK price point for the basic model is only a couple of hundred pounds more than the VFR, so people may be tempted, I know I would be if I was in the market for a new bike.  But my 5th gen is bother lighter & more powerful & will hopefully be more so after this winters tinkering :)

12 hours ago, thepretender said:

You forgot the 70 extra pounds you get with the VFR.

True that.  I'm going to take a guess the VFR's extra weight comes from those two extra cylinders, and the beefier frame/sub-frame.  I would also assume the Ducati would be a better sport bike.  So yes if you use your bike more as a sportbike and less as an ST bike the SS might be the ticket.  And if they can hang on to that price with the full Ohlins suspension, they will have a winner.

Would I opt for the SS over the VFR.....I have to think about that one.  I really like the Honda reliability.  I'm not sure how reliable these new Ducati's are now.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Darryll you've kept that Duc in immaculate condition. It looks exactly like it did [Plus a couple nice bits added] when you first started teaching me to ride in.....1997??

It was not without a detour or two (re: low sides) I was extremely lucky that I was able to find OEM panels and other items damaged but ultimately she is still in good working order. I recently had DMr redo the suspension and put on some new sticky Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires on her. Feels like a new bike again!

I took her to GMR this past Sunday and have to say other than having a hard time at first re adapting to the difference between this and the 01 VFR, once I got my rhythm she was just as fun as ever.

Hmmm 1997? Sounds about right, I remember you, me and Niel went to the California Super Bike School not too long afterward. Took the Duc (Duckling at that time) for that course, hard to believe that was 20 years ago! :wacko:

19 hours ago, Tiutis said:

I think VFR has better looking front end and wheels. Ducati-love that frame piece and exhaust. Perfect power, well-priced! 

Whats the deal with the bag options? 

Semi-Rigid bags come with the touring pack, along with heated grips and a taller wind screen. 

19 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

It would be very hard to sell my 900SS/SP but upgrading to to a 2017 might be less painful.:unsure:

If you do decide to upgrade, you know who to call!

• Member Contributer

A couple downers.  The colour of choice is only available on the S model.  Is it me or does the seat look really, really restrictive?  Lastly, the footpegs look pretty pinched up. Pillion, umm no.   I also second the concern on Duke reliability.   And Ducati cost for basically everything.  I'll stick with my VFR but love what Ducati is trying to do = I'll await the reviews and give the model time to show it's worth.  Be nice to be proven wrong.  Again. :-D

Dave.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, BrianF said:

If you do decide to upgrade, you know who to call!

I'll just add you to the already long list...:wink:

Archived