Should I make an offer - 84 VF

Hawkeye Driver

I've got an opportunity to buy an 84 VF.  Guy is asking $1500.  Didn't get a lot of time to look it over but the bike appears to be in pretty good shape and has 16K on the clock.  Starts but idles rough until warm.  Allegedly, a second owner bike.

My question - What's it worth and how much should I offer?  

84 VF (2).jpg

84 VF.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't track the used prices as much as I used to but I would think it would be worth $1000 to $1,200. I just saw one near me for $1,500 but it had new tires and was pretty clean. This one  will almost certainly need some carb work and other than the dent on the tank it looks pretty solid.  

hOLD OUT awhile until a much-improved 2nd gen comes up for sale.  For about the same price you'll get a better-looking bike without the lurking possibility of cam or cam chain problems.

On 10/3/2016 at 5:24 PM, squirrelman said:

hOLD OUT awhile until a much-improved 2nd gen comes up for sale.  For about the same price you'll get a better-looking bike without the lurking possibility of cam or cam chain problems.

Yep, I want one of those too.  I offered the guy $750.  He won't go below $1000.  I don't need it so guess I'll let it go for now.  AND my 84 VF1000F needs a lot of work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/4/2016 at 7:04 PM, Hawkeye Driver said:

Yep, I want one of those too.  I offered the guy $750.  He won't go below $1000.  I don't need it so guess I'll let it go for now.  AND my 84 VF1000F needs a lot of work.

The VF1000F will be far more valuable when it's done, so focus on finishing that first.  That VF750F looks decent, but much more than $1000 for it in it's present condition will be high.  Don't spread your restoration funds and time across 2 bike projects since it will take more than twice as long to finish just one of them.  That has been my restoration philosophy and the result is that I've been able to finish at least one bike a year.

Archived