Japanese ride skill on wet ground, VFR800 Policebike

keny

• Member Contributer

I wonder if these bikes are still in service. Also wonder if their handle bars make a big difference.

• Member Contributer

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like they do not have linked brakes but what is easier to tell is that their crash bars appear to make it a lot easier to right the bike back up!

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, thtanner said:

2012 and their 5th gens look pretty much brand new. :D

I know, that's why I wonder if they are still in use in 2016 or have these finally been retired. Either way, true testament of the 5 Gen IMO.

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like they do not have linked brakes

I took a couple of screen shots from the video to zero in on the left front caliper.   From these views my two cents would also be no.  The rotor carriers appear to be similar to what were used on early Blackbirds and possibly others.  The headers also look catless.   It would be fun having one of these just for parking lot practice sessions. 

Japanese police VFR II.JPG

Japanese police VFR.JPG

Those crash bars look good and functional.

Appearance, meh.

The front sticks, the rear lets loose and comes around every time.

I can't imagine any police are using 15 year old bikes.  :unsure:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RDMcD said:

Some of those guys... or girls, don't look much bigger than a twelve year old!

And some people wonder why our bikes come 'under-sprung.'

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

They're not technically "5th gens" because they're not RC46s.  The police version VFR800P was designated RC49, and there were many small differences, such as the handlebars and the different top fairings to accomodate them.  I doubt Honda is still making the RC49, but I would expect that it was in production well beyond 2001--possibly until the VFR1200P was released in 2010.

Ciao,

On ‎25‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 11:16 AM, JZH said:

They're not technically "5th gens" because they're not RC46s.  The police version VFR800P was designated RC49, and there were many small differences, such as the handlebars and the different top fairings to accomodate them.  I doubt Honda is still making the RC49, but I would expect that it was in production well beyond 2001--possibly until the VFR1200P was released in 2010.

Ciao,

Was there any other Police VFR producde betwen the one that was based on the RC24 and the RC49?

• Member Contributer

Don't think so.  There may have been smaller bikes and scooters, but nothing else 748cc+.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 9/29/2016 at 9:30 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Those crash bars look good and functional.

Appearance, meh.

The front sticks, the rear lets loose and comes around every time.

I can't imagine any police are using 15 year old bikes.  :unsure:

They are graded on time also so they are somewhat ham-fisted with the throttle application when they lose the rear on this corner exits.

Appearance of the crash bars looks no better than a stunters cage but for those who have never purchased a set of 5G plastics....I am trying to convince I don't need a set of pipes that I can hang my bike from the wall on. 

Ok, they are really ugly and that thought has passed.

Archived