Missing key

Jixsta

I am looking at a used 6th gen and the seller said that he only has one of the original ignition keys.  He said that one of the previous owners lost the other key.  I know I can have another key made, but is this a big deal not having both of the motorcycle's original keys?  Like someone out there might have the other key.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately there is always some level of trust that goes along with a bike sale. You'd never know if a prior owner made multiple copies of an ignition key. IMO it's just something to worry about and you shouldn't let that determine if you buy the bike or not. But you could use the cost of replacing the key as a factor in price negotiation...

FYI, as far as i know, none of the 6th gen bikes sold in the US have chipped keys.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

When I traded in my 4th gen for my 5th, when I handed the keys and owner's manual over to the salesman he exclaimed something to the effect of - "oh - you have BOTH keys - great!"    Somewhat perplexed I said that I didn't understand . . . doesn't everyone have both keys?  He replied that they more often than not they don't get the second set of keys with a bike.  I'm not sure why - but it seems to go with the territory.  I wouldn't worry about it. 

Archived