Tire mounting technique

RobF

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a new set of Bridgestones based on some recommendations from the crew here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/84237-tire-recommendation-please

I also decided, for better or worse, that I was going to buy some levers and do my own mounting. I watched a couple videos, including this MC Garage video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKIuSjPXxA

...that made the whole process seem manageable. I was able to mount the rear tire, although regrettably my rim took some abuse.  Yet I failed to mount the front tire. The final bit of mounting was *much* more difficult for me than the videos implied. I wonder if there is something wrong with my technique.

tire_mount.jpg

A few notes:

* Windex was recommended as a lubricant. Warming the tire with a hair dryer was also suggested. I found that Windex evaporated off the warm tire nearly instantly.

* With the remaining unmounted tire edge between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (see photo), it was almost impossible to get the wheel protectors under the taut edge and secured onto the wheel rim.

* With the tire in this configuration, the location of the brake disk made it extremely difficult to insert the levers under the rubber. I had to insert them from an oblique angle to avoid the disk. I marred the wheel finish as a result. I don't recall any vids where folks indicated the need to remove the disk. Maybe not coincidentally, I didn't see any videos with people mounting rubber on a front wheel with dual disks.

* Everybody suggests that you hold the mounted rubber in place under your knees while you lever on the next section. I can't speak for the rest of you, but my fifty-year-old knees were very much not on board with that plan. Kneeling on the tiny sidewalls hard enough to keep the rubber down while I levered the next section was more effort than I could maintain at the end.

* Finally, the amount of force required for the last section, even for small "bites", seemed disproportionate to what I was seeing in the DIY videos. It took all my strength, and the levers were bending to the point I was concerned something was going to break. Also, really small bites (another 4 inches of edge) meant that I was just constantly re-doing the same work, because I could not keep the edges down given the tension.

So, what am I doing wrong?

• Member Contributer

The key is getting the opposite end of tire into the center of the rim, this allows the side your trying to fit over the rim a little more "slack" (for the lack of a better word). I too had a tough time spooning on a set of Bridgestone S21s today. Although I have a tire changer, getting the last bit of tire over the rim was still a bit difficult. If you plan on doing this yourself further, look into tire lube. I bought my tire changer from NoMar and it's also where I get my supplies i.e. Weights, valve stems, replacement tips, tire lube, etc.No-Mar has some good videos on how to use their tools maybe you can take a peek at some of them for ideas.

No-Mar Tire Changer Supplies

SP-Lube-Paste-1.jpg

The bead of the tire has a metal ring in it.  So while it may be able to be flexed into an oval, that circumference doesnt change.  The wheel has a "drop center", which you need to try to get most of the already installed bead into, to pop that last bit over.  

look here for reference

https://www.derekweaver.com/learn/tire-changer/

Don't use windex.  Use "RuGLYDE" lubricant, sold at NAPA auto stores specifically for changing tires.

Put the rim protectors on before you start mounting the tire. Use four of them, spanning 10 oclock to 2 oclock.

Apply the lube with a paintbrush all the way around the bead initially and add a few more dabs as you work the tire onto the rim and/or rim protectors.

Get some curved levers (see pictures in link below). They'll allow you to get a better angle without hitting the brake rotor.

Use your knees at the 6'oclock position on the tire to press and hold the bead in the valley of the wheel. My 60+ year old knees don't like this very much either, but it's the only way to free up enough room to get the tire over the rim at the top of the wheel.

More info:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/79443-tire-changing-for-cheapskates/

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

The key is getting the opposite end of tire into the center of the rim, this allows the side your trying to fit over the rim a little more "slack" (for the lack of a better word).

4 hours ago, Ahenry014 said:

The bead of the tire has a metal ring in it.  So while it may be able to be flexed into an oval, that circumference doesnt change.  The wheel has a "drop center", which you need to try to get most of the already installed bead into, to pop that last bit over.

4 hours ago, checksix said:

Use your knees at the 6'oclock position on the tire to press and hold the bead in the valley of the wheel. My 60+ year old knees don't like this very much either, but it's the only way to free up enough room to get the tire over the rim at the top of the wheel.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the coaching. I was able to return to the scene of the crime this morning and finish the job. The critical guidance was that I ensure that the already mounted edges are tucked into the "drop center" along the wheel's equator. The videos I watched did of course mention this. In my original attempt, I failed to adequately appreciate the completely essential nature of this bit of instruction. So it's done, but my wheels, back, knees, and patience took more abuse than was necessary. Plus there are probably a few profanities still echoing around the corners of my garage.

Lessons for next time:

1. Keep the mounted bead in the drop center!

2. Use four, rather than two, wheel protectors. Mount them at the beginning of the process and leave them in place, rather than trying to migrate them throughout the job.

3. Buy some curved tire levers for working around the disk.

4. Try a proper tire lubricant, rather than Windex.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer

Plus 1 on the RuGlyde.  I bought a gallon at Napa years ago and doubt I'll ever use it all.  To keep the tire bead in the drop,  I use some bar clamps to squeeze the opposite side of where I'm working.    The other thing I acquired is something called a "Mojo Lever".  It's a tire mounting tool that works the way a shop would do it.  A search for it on youtube will turn up a number of demonstration videos.  Since I started using it, my frustration level has dropped significantly and no scratches on any wheels.   I worked out a way of holding the wheel on a bench so I don't need the H.F. tire changer - everything breaks down and fits in a cabinet.

http://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm

I kid you not - zip-ties.  Put them on about 6-8 inches apart all around the tire.  It help keeps each side the bead together and you may not even need the spoons as both sides of the bead drop into the clearance groove/trench/relief in the wheel allowing much easier changing.

I've wrestled numerous tires on/off and now if KKen isn't home I use the zip-tie method after the tire has had a good long soak in direct sunlight to soften up.

• Member Contributer

Here are a couple more tools that help. The top one helps keep the tire from jumping back over the rim when trying to mount the tire. The bottom one helps push the tire towards the center drop of the rim. Although No-Mar shows it as an aid when dismounting a tire, I have used it once or twice when mounting. I use the yellow one all of the time.

AC-YellowThing-1.jpg

AC-EH-Clamp-1.jpg

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Here are a couple more tools that help. The top one helps keep the tire from jumping back over the rim when trying to mount the tire. The bottom one helps push the tire towards the center drop of the rim. Although No-Mar shows it as an aid when dismounting a tire, I have used it once or twice when mounting. I use the yellow one all of the time.

AC-YellowThing-1.jpg

I've only started doing my own tyres this year, after I acquired a manual tire changer (like the Harbor Freight one) and nylon-shod bar (like the Mojolever), and the only tool I want now is the yellow one, to help hold the tire in place.  I really was not interested in changing tyres without at least a manual tire changer, and having done about half a dozen now I am even more convinced about that...

Ciao,

1 hour ago, JZH said:

I've only started doing my own tyres this year, after I acquired a manual tire changer (like the Harbor Freight one) and nylon-shod bar (like the Mojolever), and the only tool I want now is the yellow one, to help hold the tire in place.  I really was not interested in changing tyres without at least a manual tire changer, and having done about half a dozen now I am even more convinced about that...

Ciao,

The 'yellow thing' from NoMar is a very useful tool. Great for mounting and holding the bead in place while you work your way around the tire with a mounting bar. I've changed tires at least a dozen times and I've done it for others as well and the tools have certainly paid off. A good investment.

Archived