Returning Rider: VFR 800 or 1200?

MsRN98

The only thing I have to add to Rogue_Biker's post is...

1: 5th generation 98/99 models are probably more desirable, at least to me. No cat converters nor wax units. I think the 00/01's have O2 sensors as well - which are not desirable.

+1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dated? I'm going to guess you're younger, Saoirse. Poodle skirts are dated. Big hair, electric blue eye shadow, leg warmers are dated (until they become 'fashionable' again--ugh). My 120-year-old wedding ring has history and gravitas; it's filigreed, Belcher-cut rose gold set with a smoky claret-hued garnet--graceful, beautiful and timeless. Until petrol runs out and bikes all run on battery, very few can be considered dated, IMO. Classic, perhaps; beautiful or fugly depending on your perspective. Many are still going strong after almost 20 years; that's durability, longevity and reliability exemplified. New is nice, but I often like old things even better.

More food for thought for you MsRN98.  [really more of my opinionated bias]

I'm excited for you and the journey you're about to embark on!

No matter if you get a 5th, 6th, or 7th gen VFR, they're only a step or two away from feeling and looking "like new".  These bikes are built by Honda to last and they build them to be robust, yet they didn't forget their primary mission:  they are high performance sport bikes.  From my own personal experience, and what I've seen others do, simply giving them a proper tune up, replace worn out parts, fine tuning the controls, a thorough cleaning inside and out, a refresh of their suspension, and a few key upgrades, and suddenly they feel new and perform to today's standards.  In all honesty, what is the difference between a 1998 versus a 2014?  Except the year of manufacture, not a whole lot.  And that gap in performance can easily be made up.  As far aesthetics, making a bike look like new is just paint and finish.

Having said that, I'm just partial to the look of the 6th Gen about as equally as I like the 8th gen.  The 5th Gen is old school.  The 6th Gen is old-NEW school. and the 8th Gen is the latest and greatest (LED lights, narrower, super refined, back to the low slung exhaust, electronic aids, etc.).  My source of enjoyment on any of my bikes is the performance, refinement, and looks (including fit and finish).  I've had exotic bikes and I enjoyed riding and staring at them but their various eccentricities and maintenance requirements eventually irritated me.  I came to the realization that I prefer refinement, smoothness, finesse, reliability, and longevity (in addition to looks).  That's why I prefer Honda's because their school of thought fits right in with mine.

So my recommendation to you is, if you buy any of these previous generation bikes, start with the basics of having fresh wear items, (tires, brakes, ALL fluids, chain and sprockets, air cleaner, spark plugs), along with fine tuning the control adjustments.  These alone will make a difference (sometimes a lot).  If you get a 6th Gen, first upgrade is the PC5.  Nuff said.    

9 hours ago, Saoirse32 said:

I just couldn't live with the vtec transition on the 6th gen I had for a short time, it may have been particularly bad on that bike though,I'm sure the power commander and the later 06 on bikes are better, but I just hated it,so many twisty roads here, you'd be mid corner accelerating and this damn kick in power would come in, I spent more time thinking about the rev counter than the road, trying to keep her either above or below 6800 rpm, as I say I'm no expert rider, but for me it was too much trouble for what it was worth, like having a great looking girlfriend who drives you mad every time you take her out LOL.

My 6th Gen is a smoking hot girlfriend that I tamed with a Power Commander 5.

LOL!

The "kick in power" you described is due to the lean fueling that occurs with the stock tuning, which occurs right BEFORE the VTEC transition.  This lean conditions will slow the bike down just before the VTEC hits and happens right at part throttle.  So the VTEC transition feels like a "kick" rather than a smooth transition.  It's pronounced when you gently roll the throttle open from closed or part throttle.  The only way to "tune" it out is to tell the ECU to quit trying to meet emissions standards! 

Go with the 800.

Geez. Reading these prices and comments I think I'll sell my 98 which became a project last month as is,

and buy another newer version. :unsure:

I currently own a vfr1200. The performance is simply amazing. Acceleration and braking are outstanding. At 50 years old I thought i would be able to behave with this much performance. I've always ridden big bore sport bikes so I have experience with mega power. I have realized that I cannot behave. When your reaching triple posted speed limits,it's an absolute rush. If you get caught your in big trouble,at least in Canada! I decided to put my bike up for sale,before i loose my licence, I've had a couple of close encounters with the police, and i can't afford to push my luck anymore. The 1200 will definetly will impress you in the performance category,...but you'll need to control your wrist, Triple digits are effortless on the 1200

I currently own a vfr1200. The performance is simply amazing. Acceleration and braking are outstanding. At 50 years old I thought i would be able to behave with this much performance. I've always ridden big bore sport bikes so I have experience with mega power. I have realized that I cannot behave. When your reaching triple posted speed limits,it's an absolute rush. If you get caught your in big trouble,at least in Canada! I decided to put my bike up for sale,before i loose my licence, I've had a couple of close encounters with the police, and i can't afford to push my luck anymore. The 1200 will definetly will impress you in the performance category,...but you'll need to control your wrist, Triple digits are effortless on the 1200

I definitely got that impression, too; the 1200 could land me jail time in the U.S., which wouldn't be great for my nursing license, either. Of course, my car is smooth at 146 mph, too (about 74% of redline); that said, I prefer to keep the speeds down in the double digits on the road, as I like my driving privileges intact and my insurance rates reasonable (and jail really doesn't suit me). But passing on a whim? Almost not even a question!

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, MsRN98 said:

Thanks, Cogswell!

The '06 in Cosmic Black is a 20-minute drive from my house. With that price and low miles, it's a good buy. Since I need to ride an 800 first and see if I like it, this seems a good first option to investigate. If I do like it, how do I dress up black to be noticeable without being an eyesore?

And you're right--'06 has ABS as an option; that's worth considering. Thanks!

I've seen several  '06's in person - IMO they don't need much dressing up!  If I had one I might do something with the wheels - polish them, or go a light gold or silver - something to contrast a bit more with the black.   I'm a fan of Honda's Blackbird in black too.  I've never seen many owners do much with those, either - they just look great right from the factory!  Only $3,000 for that one - if everything checks out and the plastic is nice,  it's a steal! 

A few updates: I've contacted the owners of the galaxy black '06, the silver '03, and a 'stock' '98 ('00 mirrors).

First, the '06. The only concession to mods is a Delkevic exhaust; he wants $3000 and is only selling because of legal trouble; he says he'll probably buy another VFR once he's again solvent. We texted each other, as I have a migraine tonight and talking isn't pleasant for me right now. My only concern: he asked what bikes I've previously ridden, then whether all of them had stock exhaust, then whether or not I was a girl. I answered all but the last, as the question really bothered me (creeped me out, actually); if I can 'control' and flat-foot a K1300GT (all but the rocket-like acceleration, that is), what makes him think a VFR800 is too much bike, whatever my sex? I'll still go ride the bike, likely, but it bothers me

Okay, on to the 2003, which--in addition to heated grips, raised bars, Sargent saddle, Power Commander V, PC Controller, taller windscreen and gutted mufflers (but cats still intact)--has ABS and color-matched hard luggage to boot. Current owner has had for 3 yrs and 3K miles, having bought it used from a dealer. He has no idea about the wiring harness recall. Time to research prices on replacement harnesses. The mufflers mods ("professionally re-welded") concern me; he was vague about his reasons for gutting them. I assume it was to improve the exhaust note?

Finally, the '98. I had an extended text conversation with the current owner, who has put 25,500 miles on the bike in the 15 years he's owned it. He bought it from a septuagenarian who said it hurt his knees (uh-huh) and went on to buy a Super Blackbird. It currently has 27K miles, Givi rack, two tank bras and comes with full Hein Gericke leathers for $3500--always garaged and warm storage. Besides what looks to be a tank slapper on the right (there when he bought it), the bike is--for all intents and purposes--spotless. I am sorely tempted--the Gericke jacket may fit me (he's a smaller man), though the pants most certainly won't, and I know a good dent repair guy. A pic of the bike:

8095f82817db37d2a5c4be5da74b4adc.jpg

Any thoughts?

I've seen several  '06's in person - IMO they don't need much dressing up!  If I had one I might do something with the wheels - polish them, or go a light gold or silver - something to contrast a bit more with the black.   I'm a fan of Honda's Blackbird in black too.  I've never seen many owners do much with those, either - they just look great right from the factory!  Only $3,000 for that one - if everything checks out and the plastic is nice,  it's a steal! 

If I can find the time, I may ride it Monday afternoon!

That's your bike right there, if it checks out ok buy it. make sure the stat is ok and that the reg/rec is ok, a good de baffled end can on that machine and she'll roar like a lion. the fact that the man has had her a long time is a good sign,likely looked after her well. you can negotiate the price without the leathers,dent repair etc.

the fella with the 06 does sound a bit strange, maybe best avoided.

Thought you might like the '98, Saoirse32! :)

12 hours ago, MsRN98 said:

A few updates: I've contacted the owners of the galaxy black '06, the silver '03, and a 'stock' '98 ('00 mirrors).

First, the '06. The only concession to mods is a Delkevic exhaust; he wants $3000 and is only selling because of legal trouble; he says he'll probably buy another VFR once he's again solvent. We texted each other, as I have a migraine tonight and talking isn't pleasant for me right now. My only concern: he asked what bikes I've previously ridden, then whether all of them had stock exhaust, then whether or not I was a girl. I answered all but the last, as the question really bothered me (creeped me out, actually); if I can 'control' and flat-foot a K1300GT (all but the rocket-like acceleration, that is), what makes him think a VFR800 is too much bike, whatever my sex? I'll still go ride the bike, likely, but it bothers me

Okay, on to the 2003, which--in addition to heated grips, raised bars, Sargent saddle, Power Commander V, PC Controller, taller windscreen and gutted mufflers (but cats still intact)--has ABS and color-matched hard luggage to boot. Current owner has had for 3 yrs and 3K miles, having bought it used from a dealer. He has no idea about the wiring harness recall. Time to research prices on replacement harnesses. The mufflers mods ("professionally re-welded") concern me; he was vague about his reasons for gutting them. I assume it was to improve the exhaust note?

Finally, the '98. I had an extended text conversation with the current owner, who has put 25,500 miles on the bike in the 15 years he's owned it. He bought it from a septuagenarian who said it hurt his knees (uh-huh) and went on to buy a Super Blackbird. It currently has 27K miles, Givi rack, two tank bras and comes with full Hein Gericke leathers for $3500--always garaged and warm storage. Besides what looks to be a tank slapper on the right (there when he bought it), the bike is--for all intents and purposes--spotless. I am sorely tempted--the Gericke jacket may fit me (he's a smaller man), though the pants most certainly won't, and I know a good dent repair guy. A pic of the bike:

Any thoughts?

MsRN98, not sure what the owner of the '06 was thinking by asking you those questions, especially regarding gender.  He should be happy you are interested in buying his bike!

The modified '03 sounds interesting.  It appears to have everything one could want already.  The gutted stock exhaust gives it a very deep V4 rumble that I think sounds REALLY good.  Some owners prefer the look of the stock exhaust but just want a nicer exhaust note.  The stock exhaust note is pretty quiet, but they do sound very good on their own.

Given those three choices I personally would still go for the newest, and you already know I'm biased towards the looks of the 6th Gen. Galaxy black is a rare color in the US too.  Very nice.

Test ride it, you'll be smitten LOL. and it's the right colour,  though the green one I have with gold wheels is an eye catcher and looks great I think,bit unusual as well.

don't think you got the green over there,think they did in Canada though.

023.jpg

Beautiful picture; I'm sure she's pretty in daylight, too! So you're on the other side of the pond, then?

• Member Contributer

Saw a nice 5th gen in VFRD classified. $2800 similar miles staintune hi mount pipe and some nice cosmetic mods.

Let me add. I rode my highly modded 5th gen back to back with a 6th gen and have to say I was impressed. Even enjoyed the V  Tech power bump. They are great bikes.

That's an E55, I have a V46 on her now though, the 55 was a bit much, also have the pannier rails and e360n cases for touring, haven't needed them yet though, tank bag and a waterproof duffle on the passenger seat does me travelling solo,and I can still lock the helmet on at food stops etc.

The scenery and the fresh Atlantic air around here are brilliant, not much traffic and some great roads. she's a really dark green,looks black at times almost. next thing I'd like to do is upgrade the suspension, change the fork oil at least.

053.jpg

105.jpg

Thanks for the additional photos! I can now see the green much more clearly; lovely shade--classic and timeless. What's more, people believe you're more environmentally friendly than they would if you had a red bike. No joke!

Since I can't try out the '06 until Monday evening, and the '98 on Tuesday morning (and the '03 the following weekend), I'm looking at protective gear; my old, non-armored leather jacket, blue jeans and regular boots just won't cut it. Tried on some boots; Alpinestars fit best so far. Also tried Klim textiles and an Alpinestars leather jacket that feels and looks really nice; plus it's on sale! Debating what I really ought to buy versus what's inexpensive. I assume you wear full gear?

• Member Contributer

I own a '98, sold my 2007 RWB this summer, and picked up a 2010 VFR1200 a month ago.  The stock suspension was superior on the 07 when compared to the '98, but the '98 engine definitely feels smoother, got better mileage, and sounds much better.  I loved the colors on the '07, but I just liked the engine on the '98 so much more.

I only have about 400 miles on the VFR1200, but here are my thoughts: The machine is deceptively fast. I found myself coming into corners at a much higher speed than on my 800.  If it wasn't for the absolutely amazing brakes on the 1200 (standard ABS), I might have been in trouble. They are great.

The range on the 800 is far better. I average about 44 mpg with the 800, and have been getting 37 mpg so far with the 1200.  I can routinely go over 200 miles between fill ups on the 800, and the fuel light begins blinking at me at around 130 miles with the 1200. This may be an issue for you if you don't like stopping.

The suspension is on the soft side for me on both bikes, but the 1200 suspension feels superior. It would be worthwhile to upgrade both bikes.

The sound is no contest.  The '98 is in my opinion, the pinnacle of motorcycle sound.  The 1200 sounds OK, but really not that inspiring.

I prefer the hard bags on the 1200 for travelling, but prefer the 800 for carving corners in SW Wisconsin.

They both are great bikes.  Are you going to be more of a long trip guy or a shorter trip corner carver?

• Member Contributer
On 9/20/2016 at 10:14 PM, MsRN98 said:

Any thoughts?

Hard to tell you which way to go.  The '03 sounds good to me because it's nicely modded.  He definitely gutted the stock exhausts for sound.  That is the cheap way to do it compared to buying aftermarket cans. 

Myself I couldn't go back to the 800 after having the 1200 in the garage.  It handles better, stops better, and so much faster.  Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to wring its' neck.  The additional HP/TQ is great for corner exits and having more torque on a motorcycle is always beneficiary.  The 1200 is a very comfortable bike and the handling is absolutely insane.  Only at parking lot speed does it feel heavy.  Once it is moving it feels lighter than the 800.  I've stuffed that thing into some corners that I didn't know if I would make (late breaking, dodging road debris) and it shrugged it off.  It really is a complete motorcycle and everything fits well together.  Still marvel at how well it handles for the size and weight.  Only negative compared to the 800 is the exhaust note.  The 800 wins there, but that is the only place it does.

• Member Contributer

What kind of range does the 1200 get touring. What's lacking with the exhaust note?

I am loving the FZ1 right now but it needs a gas stop every 100 miles.

Depending on how you ride it, range is about 180 miles, though I've heard of people pulling 60 mpg from it. YMMV. The exhaust sounds like an asthmatic scooter until the valve opens at 6K RPM or so; I actually like it, as in city it's not too noisy. Over 6K RPM, it snarls nicely!

16 hours ago, luvtoleanit said:

Myself I couldn't go back to the 800 after having the 1200 in the garage.  It handles better, stops better, and so much faster.  Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to wring its' neck.  The additional HP/TQ is great for corner exits and having more torque on a motorcycle is always beneficiary.  The 1200 is a very comfortable bike and the handling is absolutely insane.  Only at parking lot speed does it feel heavy.  Once it is moving it feels lighter than the 800.  I've stuffed that thing into some corners that I didn't know if I would make (late breaking, dodging road debris) and it shrugged it off.  It really is a complete motorcycle and everything fits well together.  Still marvel at how well it handles for the size and weight.  Only negative compared to the 800 is the exhaust note.  The 800 wins there, but that is the only place it does.

I would almost agree with you entirely. Everything my old 5th gen did my 7th gen does it better; far and away better. But there are times when I would give just about anything to ride my old '99 again. The engine of that bike is just phenomenal in almost every way. And yes, the exhaust note is the best I've ever heard come from a motorcycle.  But I have to be honest with myself, if I were to ever own another 5th gen it would only be for nostalgia because the 7th gen is just that good.

In regards to the exhaust note of the 1200, the DAM exhaust is the only can I have heard that makes it sound respectable. I know, different strokes for different folks.

I guess Ignorance is Bliss.  I only know my 08 and I'm very happy with it.  I don't want to cheat on her with a younger bike. LOL.:beer: 

Seems to me that if we're going to sex bikes, a rocket between ones thighs engenders more of a male animus. But I suppose yours could just be a spirited filly...

And you're right--fillies don't like being cheated on. You can look, but don't touch; she'll know if you do.

"Crotch Rocket" is more gender neutral.

All in fun, Rogue_Biker; I meant to cause no offense, but perhaps I overshot my mark. It just struck me as interesting that we often use 'she' to refer to our vehicles, so I decided to turn that on its head for the fun of it. I apologize if I offended anyone. :)

Archived