Returning Rider: VFR 800 or 1200?

MsRN98

Hi there!

After 20 years off-bike, I've again been bitten by the bike bug. I blame it in part on some friends of ours, both of whom acquired sportbikes this year. One of them is the head of motorcycle safety for the state; if she sees cycling as relatively 'safe,' who am I to argue? In any case, I've taken out roughly half a dozen bikes to get a sense for what I like. These have included a BMW 2011 R1200R, a 2009 K1300GT, 2014 F800GT, Suzuki SV650S and Honda 2010 VFR1200F. Of all these, the naked BMW 1200 and the 'Veefalo' have felt the best; however, I prefer a faired bike in order to extend my riding season in Wisconsin. The R1200R has few decent aftermarket fairing options, IMO; that leaves the Veefalo and its predecessors.

A bit more: I'm 48, 5'8", 165#. My former ride was a salvage title Suzuki 1981 GS1100E that fell apart one too many times for my liking; losing an oilpan drain plug at 80+ MPH with a pillion onboard tends to make one skittish, especially if one torqued the bolt properly the morning of the ride. I'm also a trauma-certified ED/ICU RN, so I've seen the effects of crashing. Statistically, the greatest risk factors for crashing are 1) drinking and driving, 2) not wearing a helmet, 3) excessive speed, 4) as an older rider, driving too big/fast a bike for my skill set. Risk factors 1) and 2) will never be an issue for me; I don't drink enough to qualify and I just bought a new X-14 (stellar crash ratings and it fit better that anything else in the showroom; go figure). Boots, leathers and gloves are high on my to-do list, as is an airbag vest. I'm reading some awesome books on safe cycling, and will take every safe cycling/handling course I can find. 3) is almost certainly a given on occasion--this is a motorcycle we're talking here, not a moped. 4) is a worry--I wish I liked the F800 or the SV650 for that reason. The F800 is too 'buzzy' a ride; the SV suffers an engine feel/note I dislike and very vague shifting feel. Both are otherwise lovely bikes that sip petrol, are nimble, light and easy to handle. Color me annoyed.

So a bigger bike it is? I tried the K1300GT as substitute for the lighter, more powerful K1300S; the sensitive throttle and unbelievable power of the GT scared the pants off me. No to the I-4 1300, then! Since I'm looking for a generalist bike that can commute, tour, maybe even play in the twisties, a salesperson steered me to a V1200. It felt awesome; the CofG is down low, the throttle relatively gentle until 5K RPM or so, then wickedly fast; handling feels intuitive, braking predictable and easy, with minimal brake dive from 40-mph panic stops. ABS is relatively unobtrusive. Stability is decent at 5 mph and, well...let's just say it has really nice high-speed stability, shall we? I like the gearbox--shifts are very solid and definite, much like my old GS1100. The seat's a bit slippery, and I've read a lot about the subpar suspension, poor fueling in 1st and 2nd, minimal range and anemic exhaust note below 5K. The windshield could be higher, and Wisconsin autumns demand heated grips/seat. That notwithstanding, it felt really good during the twenty minutes or so that I got to ride it.

So why haven't I bought it already? Let's return to the advice I've heard about returning riders, urging them to start on something smaller, something more forgiving. The VFR1200 feels good, but it's 593# and has 174 hp. It's gentle below 5K rpm, but 5-10K rpm are very, very quick indeed. Whether I drop it or an 800 or a 650 in the driveway is moot; all will be faired, all will have sliders everywhere I can put them to mitigate effects of the obligatory drop. That being said, I like the feel of the motor, smooth yet vibey, and the sound it makes once the exhaust valve opens. But is it too much bike for me? Would a 5th-gen VFR800 (still a heavy, fast bike) be a better overall choice for me at this juncture?

Anybody that wants to opine, please chime in. I'm interested to hear from people who ride both these bikes. In the meantime, I'm looking for a 5th-gen VFR to try out.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I currently ride a 6th & 7th Gen and previously had the 5th & 6th Gens together.

The only thing I would say is; you are the only one who knows whether you can control your right wrist and therefore your speed and what trouble you may get yourself into. You've had big bikes before, so make the decision yourself. 

After the 1200, the 800 feels very slow (because it is). 

Before this turns into another heated  800 vs 1200 discussion, let me get my 2 cents in.

It's been 20 years since you last rode?  You have experience with treating motorcycle related accidents.  One of the things you mentioned that contribute to that were excessive speed and riding beyond the given skill level.  These all apply whether you get an 800 or a 1200.

The 800 is capable of reaching 60 mph in a scant 3.5 seconds, and the quarter mile in 11.5 seconds.  The 1200 will do the same feat in about 2.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile under 10.  There are only a handful of SUPERCARS that can do that feat.  So that is the kind of performance you are going to deal with, and all controlled by your wrist and your brain.  The more power you have available, the faster that bike will accelerate and your capacity to make decisions very quickly must then match that capability.  The reason why veteran riders recommend newbies (and you are definitely a newbie) to get a less powerful bike is for the same exact reasons I mentioned.  Both the 800 and the 1200 will cover distance very quickly, but it is MUCH EASIER for the 1200 to do that.  Can you handle a decreasing radius turn with a posted speed limit of 15 mph coming at you fast while you're moving at 45 mph?  How quickly can you make the right call when faced with a situation that is evolving quickly in front of you?  Only you can answer that.  Yes it is true that your wrist is under your control.  But you are only human maybe after 3 months you will feel overly confident and you will twist the throttle more and then you will face a rapidly evolving chain of events.  In my opinion, a less powerful bike will give you SOME pause...enough to not pull out to pass that moment, not carry too much speed to the next corner....maybe that will be the deciding factor for you to not crash?  You won't know that until you are in THAT moment.

As far as performance is concerned, let me make one thing perfectly clear:  BOTH the 800 and 1200 are fast.  The 1200 is just faster in a straight line AND it is easier to make it go fast.  The word "slow" does not apply to either bike.  Even a CBR300RR accelerates to 60 mph in 5 seconds.  That's NOT slow.  A Fiat 500 is slow (0-60 in 10 seconds).

Before this turns into another heated  800 vs 1200 discussion, let me get my 2 cents in.

It's been 20 years since you last rode?  You have experience with treating motorcycle related accidents.  One of the things you mentioned that contribute to that were excessive speed and riding beyond the given skill level.  These all apply whether you get an 800 or a 1200.

The 800 is capable of reaching 60 mph in a scant 3.5 seconds, and the quarter mile in 11.5 seconds.  The 1200 will do the same feat in about 2.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile under 10.  There are only a handful of SUPERCARS that can do that feat.  So that is the kind of performance you are going to deal with, and all controlled by your wrist and your brain.  The more power you have available, the faster that bike will accelerate and your capacity to make decisions very quickly must then match that capability.  The reason why veteran riders recommend newbies (and you are definitely a newbie) to get a less powerful bike is for the same exact reasons I mentioned.  Both the 800 and the 1200 will cover distance very quickly, but it is MUCH EASIER for the 1200 to do that.  Can you handle a decreasing radius turn with a posted speed limit of 15 mph coming at you fast while you're moving at 45 mph?  How quickly can you make the right call when faced with a situation that is evolving quickly in front of you?  Only you can answer that.  Yes it is true that your wrist is under your control.  But you are only human maybe after 3 months you will feel overly confident and you will twist the throttle more and then you will face a rapidly evolving chain of events.  In my opinion, a less powerful bike will give you SOME pause...enough to not pull out to pass that moment, not carry too much speed to the next corner....maybe that will be the deciding factor for you to not crash?  You won't know that until you are in THAT moment.

As far as performance is concerned, let me make one thing perfectly clear:  BOTH the 800 and 1200 are fast.  The 1200 is just faster in a straight line AND it is easier to make it go fast.  The word "slow" does not apply to either bike.  Even a CBR300RR accelerates to 60 mph in 5 seconds.  That's NOT slow.  A Fiat 500 is slow (0-60 in 10 seconds).

Rogue_Biker--

Thank you for your $0.02. I am well-aware of the power involved, and of my lack of recent experience. My gut reaction to the scenario you paint would be to brake hard on the approach, downshift and use engine braking, then swing wide early in the turn and cut back as hard as the bike will allow, applying power as I cut back. If necessary, I'd let the back end slide a little, too. That may be precisely the wrong move, but it's what 30 years of riding road and mountain bikes (the pedal kind) have taught me. Different beasts than those we're discussing, admittedly, but they share a few traits common to the species. As for the power, I have a supercharged 330Ci that makes about 315 RWHP and about the same amount (320 lb-ft) of torque, has racing suspension and square setup sticky road rubber. It is capable of speeds and performance I will never demand of it, and is actually a great winter car as well, given appropriate snowshoes, of course. Have I driven it fast? Yes--under very controlled conditions. Is it capable of costing me my license, or of getting me killed? Certainly! It has not done so because I exercise restraint and cautious judgement.

Having said that, I am grateful for your input. You are absolutely correct that both bikes are fast and powerful. If I'm honest, I'm not aware of very many slow bikes; one can find trouble on a 125 if one is so inclined. Reflexive handling skills and safe riding habits come with time, practice and more practice. Although some of my cycling motor memory has reawakened, my skills are no longer those of an experienced biker. My reasons for considering the 1200 are 1) it fits well and seems right/intuitive; 2) low-RPM fueling is relatively gentle; 3) I have an acute sense of self-preservation. That said, it is crazy fast once one exceeds 5000 rpm, and it's 593# wet. I've not yet tried the VFR 800, but again, I'm perfectly willing and happy to go smaller if I find a bike that I like. The 800 is still 520# wet and capable of 150 mph; I've no illusions that it's a slug, either. It is smaller, though, and not as fast as a CBR 600. Intended purpose is as critical as size, IMO; that's why I'm trying to avoid pure sportbikes. Pillion won't be an issue for 1-2 years at least; I plan to take nobody else riding before I'm well-seasoned.

Okay--I've blathered. I take your admonition seriously, Rogue_Biker. Rather than at three months, though, years 2-3 are statistically the most dangerous time--when I just start to gain proficiency is when I'm most at risk of doing something stupid (funny--that's exactly true in critical care nursing, too). I take it you consider the 800 to be better than the 1200 for my purposes, but probably still too much bike for me at this juncture. What would you suggest as a jack-of-all trades bike that is capable yet not too powerful?

• Member Contributer

Have owned a 5th gen for 18 yrs. Fantastic bike. Fine for occasional two up touring too. I have never owned a 7th gen but have seen them ridden up very tight and twisted roads which impressed me enough to consider it in the future. I love that I can get nearly 200 miles between fill ups on the 5th gen though. Never felt it lacked real word power. I get less police attention on it than the liter bikes I have owned. I am also considering the new 8th gen because of the great milage. 133k miles of faithful service. Great bike for sure.

• Member Contributer

Glad you are in the search, MsRN. I have owned two VFR's now since 2005. I bought the 5th gen as my first bike ever. I liked it's looks, sound, feel and comfort. I didn't get the 6th gen at the time because it was new and cost a fortune(in my view) I am not possessed of a need for speed (except from time to time). I have always been more a tourer than a racer. I rode the 5th gen from Ga to Quebec and back on my epic ride of  2010, "Wrestler's Ride: A Travel Log" and Poncho's "Lost Behind Enemy Lines". Other than a battery incident which made the trip truly epic, it really served me well. In 2011 I sold the 5th gen to purchase my hearts desire, my 2005 Italian Red 6th gen which I got for the very immoral price of $4500 because its former owner wanted a BMW. 

To the point here, I have been more than satisfied with the speed, handling, economy, and looks of my  05.  The 5th gen is still making its new owner smile and I can't be more satisfied with my Italian Red companion. I still haven't taken it on an epic ride. No doubt the second will be as eventful as the first. I won't be lost again behind enemy lines.

• Member Contributer

I say there's no reason not to look at the 800. It's probably a much better candidate when you're getting back into motorcycling, not that the 1200 isn't a well balanced, quality machine.

MsRN98, you come off as very intelligent and sensible.  I think you will know what's right for you.  I recall a short article in Cycle World regarding what's the right bike for a prospective owner.  The article stated:  Whatever fits you best.  They were referring to not just physical size but riding abilities, intended purpose, etc.  They gave an example of, if you're 6'4" tall and weight 230 lbs, perhaps a CBR600RR isn't the right bike for you!  LOL!  And likewise if you're 5'6" tall and weigh 140 lbs., a BMW R1200GS may not be the right bike for you.  We're all very different after all.

I can only tell you what my own personal experience has been.  Prior to my VFR800, I had a Hayabusa 1300.  Physically, I can handle both size bikes fairly well.  Those who know me will also tell you I don't ride slow, but I CAN and do ride slow when I must.  I will say that owning a bike capable of 200 mph was like having a nuclear weapon at your disposal.  You don't have to use it but when you do it flattens everything!  LOL!  The Hayabusa's lasting impression on me was its explosive power in the midrange and on top.  When you asked for more power, it delivered it in spades, and the more you ask the more explosive that power became.  The faster you went, the faster the bike accelerated.  It felt limitless.  That kind of power tempted me all the time.  Moves I would not attempt on my VFR800, I would do on the 'Busa without any hesitation (and I got away with it too most times!).  I even toured on that bike and that didn't stop me from passing 5+ cars at a time!!  I can't believe I survived!  LOL!  I did have quite a few speeding tickets to show for it.  I had the Busa and the VFR800 at the same time, and I admit to preferring the VFR800 for its more friendly ergonomics.  But when I rode for fun, I always chose the Busa simply because I felt invincible on it.  I don't have the Busa any more.  I replaced it with ever lighter sportbikes of lesser power.  And I rarely if ever wished for its power simply because, my 800 feels plenty fast for me.  I also have a CBR600RR and it is FASTER than my 800 and a whole lot lighter.

I guess the bigger question you might be wondering is, do I wish I had a VFR1200 versus my VFR800.  The true answer is:  I would rather have the 2014-2016 VFR800!  LOL!  That's the honest answer. Simply because the 800 fits me better and I prefer the way the 800's look.  It gives me what I need and want all in one package.  Nothing excessive.  If I wanted to go faster, I have my CBR600RR.  But believe me when I say, when I crack the whip, my VFR800 will do triple digits in a few heartbeats too.

MsRN98, you come off as very intelligent and sensible.  I think you will know what's right for you.  I recall a short article in Cycle World regarding what's the right bike for a prospective owner.  The article stated:  Whatever fits you best.  They were referring to not just physical size but riding abilities, intended purpose, etc.  They gave an example of, if you're 6'4" tall and weight 230 lbs, perhaps a CBR600RR isn't the right bike for you!  LOL!  And likewise if you're 5'6" tall and weigh 140 lbs., a BMW R1200GS may not be the right bike for you.  We're all very different after all.

I can only tell you what my own personal experience has been.  Prior to my VFR800, I had a Hayabusa 1300.  Physically, I can handle both size bikes fairly well.  Those who know me will also tell you I don't ride slow, but I CAN and do ride slow when I must.  I will say that owning a bike capable of 200 mph was like having a nuclear weapon at your disposal.  You don't have to use it but when you do it flattens everything!  LOL!  The Hayabusa's lasting impression on me was its explosive power in the midrange and on top.  When you asked for more power, it delivered it in spades, and the more you ask the more explosive that power became.  The faster you went, the faster the bike accelerated.  It felt limitless.  That kind of power tempted me all the time.  Moves I would not attempt on my VFR800, I would do on the 'Busa without any hesitation (and I got away with it too most times!).  I even toured on that bike and that didn't stop me from passing 5+ cars at a time!!  I can't believe I survived!  LOL!  I did have quite a few speeding tickets to show for it.  I had the Busa and the VFR800 at the same time, and I admit to preferring the VFR800 for its more friendly ergonomics.  But when I rode for fun, I always chose the Busa simply because I felt invincible on it.  I don't have the Busa any more.  I replaced it with ever lighter sportbikes of lesser power.  And I rarely if ever wished for its power simply because, my 800 feels plenty fast for me.  I also have a CBR600RR and it is FASTER than my 800 and a whole lot lighter.

I guess the bigger question you might be wondering is, do I wish I had a VFR1200 versus my VFR800.  The true answer is:  I would rather have the 2014-2016 VFR800!  LOL!  That's the honest answer. Simply because the 800 fits me better and I prefer the way the 800's look.  It gives me what I need and want all in one package.  Nothing excessive.  If I wanted to go faster, I have my CBR600RR.  But believe me when I say, when I crack the whip, my VFR800 will do triple digits in a few heartbeats too.

Rogue_Biker,

Once again, thank you for your candid advice. This time around, I'm entering cycling with a much greater sense of mortality. As a parent, I already question my sanity with regards to motorcycles; my approach is to mitigate risk as much as possible by avoiding the most common pitfalls, wearing full protective gear and training for as many eventualities as I can anticipate, be they inattentive drivers, gravel/sand, potholes, entering curves too fast, etc. A lighter bike has less momentum; so long as it has good brakes and I use them properly, it will decelerate more rapidly than will a heavier bike. Better handling equals more options for evasive maneuvers; all else being equal, I would expect the 800 to handle better than the 1200. The 1200 is all I've had opportunity to try, though.

I cited a 5th-generation 800 as a choice a) given the issues cited with early VTEC models and b) given that it's marginally lighter than the 6th-gen, IIRC. I'm given to understand that some prefer the exhaust note and gear-driven valve train of the 5th-gen bikes, too. That being said, your profile pic sports an '07 Anniversary Edition, if I'm not mistaken. Given how much you like it, I'm guessing Honda sorted the VTEC issues? Prices for used 5th- and 6th-gen bikes are also quite reasonable, though I could buy a new 2014 8th-gen Deluxe for as little as $8K, or a new 7th-gen (2010) for all of $9K. All, I understand, are solid and nearly-bombproof if properly maintained. Such a dilemma--a total first-world problem. After your first post, I looked up the CBR500R and 650F--both seem intriguing, but I'd probably have to buy new in either case.

I will buy what fits and seems right. Still, I like hearing your opinions--all of you! The more viewpoints, the better, IMO.

Oh--and as for my 3-series, I forgot another word: luck. Had a deer run out while I was executing a downhill, 10-car pass, or doing other high-velocity maneuvers of dubious wisdom, I'd not be here today. I make at least my share of dumb moves.

Given the choice, get the newest model.  You can't go wrong with an 8th Gen.  It is the quintessential modern VFR800 and it needs nothing to be perfect in my opinion.   

If you choose a 6th Gen, again, get the newest example and the lowest mileage.  Starting in 2006, Honda made a slight revision to the 6th Gen with a lower VTEC threshold and smoother transition.  It also got clear turn signals and bold new colors (LOL!).  But I would not turn down any year 6th Gen if it's not beaten to death.  Knowing what I know about my 6th Gen and other owners of 6th Gen, the Power Commander 5 is a MUST to get THE smoothest VTEC transition AND the smoothest throttle response.  A PC5 can be had for $270 and it takes 20 minutes to install.  It's plug and play.  Mine is set up with a PC5 as the ONLY engine modification and it has a very, very smooth transition in VTEC.  And I love the way it looks with that under tail exhaust!  The only other modification I did to mine was the suspension but only because I ride it like a sportbike.        

If you get a 5th Gen, the same rule applies (newest, lowest mileage),  I personally know people (VFRD Members) who got the cleanest 5th Gen bikes around (they're like new).  There's no need for a Power Commander on the 5th Gen because this generation did not have to meet the stringent emissions standard that the 6th Gen was required to do.  Although I highly recommend finding a low, low mileage example because these bikes are pretty advanced in years. 

Skip the CBR650F.  Nice bikes.  But it's just too much like a VFR, and if I were given a choice to get a new CBR650F and a low mileage 5th/6th Gen, I wouldn't hesitate to get the VFR's.  Check out these two perfect examples of what you can get out there. These are recent photos:

One of our new members here just got this pristine 2002 model with 32k miles (red bike).  Check out the paint and finish....like new.

29149077404_22f8788a8d_b.jpg

Another member got this 1998 model from Ebay with super low mileage.  Like new!

29384650231_434524fbe5_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

The only thing I have to add to Rogue_Biker's post is...

1: 5th generation 98/99 models are probably more desirable, at least to me. No cat converters nor wax units. I think the 00/01's have O2 sensors as well - which are not desirable.

2: 2002-2005's are amazingly cheap right now. I picked up a 2002 for $2400, a friend paid $2700 or so for a 2002. Both have 32-36k on the clock, and were in solid shape. The main difference for the 02-05 models is VTEC engagement is at 6800rpm, while 06+ has it at 6400rpm. It was moved down 400rpm to tame the transition a bit with the stock tune, and to potentially help keep the bike in the VTEC engagement zone easier during sporty riding.

Oh yea, I also don't have any "VTEC issues". It performs as Honda designed, and is predictable. If you want a slightly smoother transition, a PC5 smooths it out as noted.

Rogue_Biker took this lovely pic of my $2400 investment. I've changed some fluids, going to put new tires on, and that'll be it. No major dings or scratches to note (scuff on the rear cowl where a boot caught it, but alas). Valve check had been performed @ 32k. Good to go!

29151999783_c393e72770_b.jpg

Wow! So much for worries about Gen 6 bikes. In easy driving distance I find the following:

c3d7bfffe9a21859eecedf9de2620116.jpg

'04 with 27K--asking $3500 OBO

05ea7fb95a93543605089adb48ebddb6.jpg

'02 with 7K--asking $3950

4a20219201c3550c66bd70fa500af282.jpg

'07 with 18K--asking $4000 OBO

ba27e1b08f21945dfbdb6cb479a9dd6a.jpg

'00 with 24K--asking $3000

8288c48a704f1a721b810fbf227edc78.jpg

'06 with 16K--asking $3000

5722d6f4b316c53355ccf76cc4394790.jpg

'03 with 13.5K miles, Power Commander V, PC Auto tuner, Sargent seat, heated grips--$3800

84bbb63f8310675feef9dc6e73029491.jpg

'04 with 13K miles--$4650. This fellow just paid (I'm guessing) for his daughter's wedding; I think the price is high accordingly. Still, the graphics are striking, if not to my taste. I'll bet it turns heads, though!

My guess is that the '03 is the best value, followed by the '06 (on which I'm most likely to get hit, but it's 15 minutes from me). The '07 would match my new helmet (X-14 'Bradley') nicely. The '00 is a very noticeable, cheery color, and lacks emissions controls.

Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

That black 04 w/ 27k for $3500 with bags catches my attention. The color is desirable, and it already has hard bags.

The 06 w/ 16k for $3k that's also black is notable. Newer year with lower miles, not a bad thing.

The 00 is nice, some love the yellow, some hate it. Only year it was available. Has the 5th gen gear whine some love (and some hate)

The '00, '03, '04 and '06 are all within 90 minutes' drive; the '02 and '07 are more like 4-5 hours. Thtanner--why is black a desirable color? Isn't it statistically more likely to be in a crash, as it doesn't catch the eye ? Silver, red, yellow and RWB seem more likely to be noticed by other drivers. And yes, Rogue_Biker, that '07 is quite pretty.

• Member Contributer

I didn't see it mentioned that 2006 and up had a revised wiring harness to address some of the electrical issues that '05 and earlier had.  It's worth asking an owner of an '02 through '05 if they've had the wiring harness recall done.  If they don't know, the VIN number can be run to find out.   If not, a call to the nearest dealer to find out the status of getting a revised harness in might be a good idea.   Also, on 2002's the original stator / rotor combo was smaller than later units  - so if that has not been addressed a fried stator (that never happens on 6th gens, does it?  :ph34r:)  will also mean a new rotor to go with it.  Not that any of that makes them less desirable, but it does give one some bargaining leverage if those items have not been addressed. 

I didn't notice any of the 6th gens having ABS.  That might be worth considering as well. 

I have to chime in that the Cosmic Black 2006 color is really stunning in sunlight - it has a good deal of metallic in it.  I don't know how Honda pulled it off - but it's beautiful.  At those prices you can't go wrong with any of them if they've been cared for. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MsRN98 said:

The '00, '03, '04 and '06 are all within 90 minutes' drive; the '02 and '07 are more like 4-5 hours. Thtanner--why is black a desirable color? Isn't it statistically more likely to be in a crash, as it doesn't catch the eye ? Silver, red, yellow and RWB seem more likely to be noticed by other drivers. And yes, Rogue_Biker, that '07 is quite pretty.

Less black 6th gens exist, and everyone loves black! I don't think drivers would see you better even if the bike was neon green and had flashing lights. They're all blind I tell ya!

I didn't see it mentioned that 2006 and up had a revised wiring harness to address some of the electrical issues that '05 and earlier had.  It's worth asking an owner of an '02 through '05 if they've had the wiring harness recall done.  If they don't know, the VIN number can be run to find out.   If not, a call to the nearest dealer to find out the status of getting a revised harness in might be a good idea.   Also, on 2002's the original stator / rotor combo was smaller than later units  - so if that has not been addressed a fried stator (that never happens on 6th gens, does it?  ph34r.png)  will also mean a new rotor to go with it.  Not that any of that makes them less desirable, but it does give one some bargaining leverage if those items have not been addressed. 

I didn't notice any of the 6th gens having ABS.  That might be worth considering as well. 

I have to chime in that the Cosmic Black 2006 color is really stunning in sunlight - it has a good deal of metallic in it.  I don't know how Honda pulled it off - but it's beautiful.  At those prices you can't go wrong with any of them if they've been cared for. 

Thanks, Cogswell!

The '06 in Cosmic Black is a 20-minute drive from my house. With that price and low miles, it's a good buy. Since I need to ride an 800 first and see if I like it, this seems a good first option to investigate. If I do like it, how do I dress up black to be noticeable without being an eyesore?

And you're right--'06 has ABS as an option; that's worth considering. Thanks!

Less black 6th gens exist, and everyone loves black! I don't think drivers would see you better even if the bike was neon green and had flashing lights. They're all blind I tell ya!

You'd be blind too if your eyes were on your smartphone and not on the road!

:(

I love everything about the 6th gen except the vtec and the fact it hasn't got the gear driven cams, keep looking till you find a good 5th gen is my advice.

Saoirse--now there's a beautiful name (I love Aoife, too)! So the gear-driven cams are all that? Does a '00 count, or do the O2 sensors and cat ruin it?

I have ridden both the 98-99 models and the 00-01 which I have now that has the 02 sensors/cat etc. I see no difference,but I'm not an expert!! the bike is capable of way more than I am, I like the way the 00-01 hasn't got the 'choke' lever, you just start her up and she settles herself down when she is warmed up,I also prefer the mirrors on the 00-01, they haven't got that rubber condom type thing that the 98-99 has, not sure if the new mirrors can be fitted on the 98-99 model, they probably can.

I just couldn't live with the vtec transition on the 6th gen I had for a short time, it may have been particularly bad on that bike though,I'm sure the power commander and the later 06 on bikes are better, but I just hated it,so many twisty roads here, you'd be mid corner accelerating and this damn kick in power would come in, I spent more time thinking about the rev counter than the road, trying to keep her either above or below 6800 rpm, as I say I'm no expert rider, but for me it was too much trouble for what it was worth, like having a great looking girlfriend who drives you mad every time you take her out LOL.

Saoirse is Irish for freedom,you can work out the rest yourself.

A bit of web browsing filled in the gaps regarding Saoirse32. Are you micheailin then? Or do the blog and Twitter handle belong to someone else? Interesting reading--my knowledge of history is woefully inadequate.

As for Saoirse in general, I've heard it used as a name at least twice. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your advice!

Archived