Returning Rider: VFR 800 or 1200?

MsRN98

• Member Contributer

Congrats!!! A memory for a lifetime!  Had always wondered if Fitchburg meant Fitchburg MA as my daughter recently moved very near there. Now I know it doesn't.  Looking forward to the pics.  Happy Thanksgiving.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that makes a wonderful bike better is a good story on how you picked it up! Glad to hear you made the trip safe and sound, I was reading your post with trepidation! Congrats and the bike.

hi there all . i new to this sort of thing. so thats have a go . i have a 2007 honda vfr800 vtec abs. witch i think has a problom with the alarm/immobiliser. when i turn the alarm/immobiliser off then tun the key on you can hear the fuel pump fire up . some times the fuel pump does not fire up and it is getting whorse . if i keep fiddling with key and alarm fob it will cut in but not all the time . is there a easy fix for this . or do i have to take it back to honda many thanks shane from the uk

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, sjcollins said:

hi there all . i new to this sort of thing. so thats have a go . i have a 2007 honda vfr800 vtec abs. witch i think has a problom with the alarm/immobiliser. when i turn the alarm/immobiliser off then tun the key on you can hear the fuel pump fire up . some times the fuel pump does not fire up and it is getting whorse . if i keep fiddling with key and alarm fob it will cut in but not all the time . is there a easy fix for this . or do i have to take it back to honda many thanks shane from the uk

Welcome.

I would post your problem under a brand new thread, instead of replying to an existing one. If you're new to forums I can see how it could be confusing.

Try this link: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/forum/2-sixth-generation-vfrs/&do=add

Thanks for the redirect, thtanner! As for my bike, I gave it a brief cleaning the other night. In my infinite stupidity, I tried to put it on its center stand without a spotter; it tipped away from me and hit our miter saw, cracking the upper fairing. I used a technique a girlfriend recommended in order to right the bike on my own (my spouse was unavailable to help). Given that there are also small cracks in the front fender and in the rear cowl (and the fact that a new rear cowl is NLA anyway), I'll take them to a local shop for repair, then touch them up--for now. Anyway, here are some pics of the bike in semi-clean guise!fb0b27d1b84c5899b77a9edcb68cb75d.jpg2119753eb3ae197b05cbc17fb5d0ec34.jpg685305d72052e679d2fbe32e359c0dca.jpgc70a5b8b2f12d1edea4f67f19450da4b.jpg

Sorry for the darkness of those photos--we've had no sunny days since I cleaned the bike. The photos are a bit blurry, but yes, that's a Corbin saddle--it was perfectly comfy on my seven-hour ride back from Fort Wayne! I'm thinking I might ask Corbin if they can retrofit it with heat. The ZG sport fairing will probably give way to a Givi touring screen for cold weather riding.

• Member Contributer

That crack could easily be repaired in a number of different ways. I know there were quite a few post on the forum regarding fairing repair, if a search doesn't turn anything up, YouTube is filled with how-to videos.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 12/3/2016 at 7:39 PM, MsRN98 said:

Sorry for the darkness of those photos--we've had no sunny days since I cleaned the bike. The photos are a bit blurry, but yes, that's a Corbin saddle--it was perfectly comfy on my seven-hour ride back from Fort Wayne! I'm thinking I might ask Corbin if they can retrofit it with heat. The ZG sport fairing will probably give way to a Givi touring screen for cold weather riding.

Did you get the cracks fixed yet?  How did they turn out?

Good to know there are more VFRs in the Madison area.  KlrtoVFR (Currently in Lodi) and I go out for a lot of rides in western Wisconsin during the summer. Feel free to PM either of us if you're interested in going sometime.

Did you get the cracks fixed yet?  How did they turn out?

Good to know there are more VFRs in the Madison area.  KlrtoVFR (Currently in Lodi) and I go out for a lot of rides in western Wisconsin during the summer. Feel free to PM either of us if you're interested in going sometime.

I pulled the rear cowl off tonight, and will take it to a shop for repair next week. The upper cowl took serious damage when I went down on dry roads in early December (motorcycle wheels take a little while to warm up in 20°F weather--who knew?), so I'll replace it entirely. My left lower fairing took some scrapes; I may just fill, sand and re-paint it, as I have the guns to do it. I'll definitely install sliders for next time; it was amusing riding home without a shift peg and with my left front turn signal buried in the cowl, but I can recommend it as an everyday practice.

As for riding in Western WI--sounds positively lovely! The Driftless Area is so gorgeous...let's plan on it!

• 1 month later...

So I got a 'new' upper cowl off EBay; it has a gouge that I'll need to fill and re-paint, but for 25% the cost of new OE I can easily live with it. New shift lever is on, and I'm getting set to do fluid changes and replace the plugs and air filter; I got a K&N filter, and I'm thinking to replace the stock horn with a Screaming Banshee or something like it. A fellow at my local shop has a set of '01 VFR forks that he re-valved ('something Gold' brand) and re-sprung but has since replaced with those from an R6; if the price is right, I may go with those rather than with Jamie's setup. I'll definitely be picking up Jamie's tricked-out rear shock, though. New tires are on the menu; any suggestions? The fellow at the shop suggested Metzeler M3s for sport touring, but I'm open to suggestions. He also recommended the Power Commander III regardless of other mods. I'm thinking a circuit block for all the new bling (PCIII, heated grips, extra rear taillight, accessory power circuits, etc.) would be wise; anyone have suggestions beyond what I see on Twisted Throttle? It was also suggested that sliders are of very limited utility on the 5th-gen VFR, as in a crash the protruding front turn signals usually get smacked and trash the upper fairing regardless. Opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Congrats on your new machine. I've had a couple of the yellow ones and they took about ten years off of my mental attitude.

I've used Pilot Road 2's for my last half-dozen sets and they are great for touring and corner carving. And they're pretty cheap. I get between 10,000 and 15,000 miles from a set.

And for plastic repair, I've had great success with Plast-aid. https://www.plast-aid.com/

Highly recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News (best mc mag by far).

Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks, MaxSwell!

If Plast-Aid can be formed and sanded to fill the gouge and take paint, it sounds like a great solution for the gouge in my cowl, or to fill the scratches in my left lower fairing. I'll definitely look into it!

I just ordered a Givi D200S windscreen, Admore Lighting Premium High Output Light Bar and a Screaming Banshee Horn. Safety first! Next should be new tires, the Reg/Rec mod and a voltmeter. After that will be luggage--probably Givi unless I can find some beetle bags somewhere. Suspension via DMR will follow that. A throttle lock (probably Kaoko), adjustable clutch and brake levers (smaller hands),heated grips and saddle, the PCIII and a slip-on would be next, but I'm more interested in safety and functionality before I go tricking the bike out for performance and supreme comfort. I also have to pick up the leather pants I want (Alpinestars) and a Held airbag vest; then I'll feel truly well-armored for anything short of a collision. Finally, I'll be investing in safety classes, some with track time to learn the handling limits of the bike. Super excited!

• Member Contributer

Do invest in a deer spotting training course...  MaxSwell can help you with that.....

Gear 1st

Suspension 2nd

followed by the rest....

Do invest in a deer spotting training course...  MaxSwell can help you with that.....   Gear 1st Suspension 2nd

followed by the rest....

You mean furry traffic hazards? Deer are endemic to Wisconsin; one of my friends is recovering from hitting one at 55 mph. I'm definitely interested in avoiding them. Tempted to upgrade my lighting to that end, too. And yes, gear first! $700 for a Held airbag vest is a very cheap investment in the health of my neck and L-spine, IMO.  I have armored jeans already; they lack shin guards and a tailbone insert, though. Having snapped off a shift lever with my left shin, I'm all for the best armor I can buy, too; that will be Alpinestars best track pants. 

MOSFET reg/reg ordered! Is the VFRness my best bet for wiring it up, or should I be using the one from roadstercycle.com? And do I need to fabricate a mounting plate for the R/R, or will it be a direct fit?

• 2 months later...

f6cddc024a77f029a5fdbab62e3e357d.jpg

So here's a recent shot of my '00 in my landlady's garage. While I clearly have work to do on the lower cowl, I'm rather happy with the bike overall--at least since I replaced the stator, R/R and charging harness. I'm delighted with the ASV clutch lever; reach and modulation are much easier on my smallish hands. Not seen is the BrakeAway throttle lock, which has also been a godsend. The observant among you may notice that the Corbin saddle has been replaced with a stock saddle; the Corbin didn't work with my German panniers. Happily, though, the stock saddle improved my standover and eliminated the soreness in my neck and shoulders--position really matters! Plus I feel more 'in' the bike, and hence more comfortable--or perhaps that's just the 3,000+ miles I've put on since November...

Next changes--I have a common bus bar that I'll use for a new common ground point, and I just got a PDM60 that I'll use for current and future wiring projects--like the OLED voltmeter that's overdue to be installed. As I'm taking a Total Control course next week, I'd best replace the 6-year-old Dunlop Q2 and the 8-year-old Q1 that are currently on the bike; though they're minimally-worn, I don't think they'll pass muster for the course because of their age. Replacements will be either RoadSmart IIIs or Q3+s--not sure which just yet...

• Member Contributer

The 1200 is a dramatically underrated machine.  With very minimal upgrades, it's a joy to ride--TONS of power, plenty of low end torque, and convenient (and attractive) luggage options. Yes, she's a bit on the heavy side, but the weight is well distributed and very manageable.  The ABS brakes are also superb, and I believe that they are a significant safety factor.

I owned a 5th Gen for many years--to this day, I believe it to be the SEXIEST BIKE EVER, but it had some minor annoyances too.  The aftermarket luggage works, but both the cases (and more importantly the mounting systems) are bulky and they really take away from the bikes appearance--not to mention having to carry an extra key around.  Additionally, I got bit by the dreaded regulator-rectifier twice, and nothing sucks as bad as being broken down on a lonesome back road with an electrical issue.

What i absolutely loved about the 5th Gen was it's engine--twisting the throttle on that thing brought an instant smile to my face, but I have to say that the 1200 offers a very similar experience engine-wise.  (I also had a 6th Gen VTEC in between these two machines, and I HATED it.  The 1200's engine feels much more similar to the 5th Gen).

Really, the only negative I've noticed regarding the 1200 is the extra weight, but as i mentioned, it's still a supremely capable machine.  It will out perform the average riders abilities in the curves (several very talented VFRD members excluded) and she feels a lot better while riding with a passenger.

For me, the incredible torque/engine response, excellent (albeit somewhat smallish) luggage, ABS brakes, and the two-up factor makes the 1200 an excellent choice.

The 1200 is a dramatically underrated machine.  With very minimal upgrades, it's a joy to ride--TONS of power, plenty of low end torque, and convenient (and attractive) luggage options. Yes, she's a bit on the heavy side, but the weight is well distributed and very manageable.  The ABS brakes are also superb, and I believe that they are a significant safety factor.

I owned a 5th Gen for many years--to this day, I believe it to be the SEXIEST BIKE EVER, but it had some minor annoyances too.  The aftermarket luggage works, but both the cases (and more importantly the mounting systems) are bulky and they really take away from the bikes appearance--not to mention having to carry an extra key around.  Additionally, I got bit by the dreaded regulator-rectifier twice, and nothing sucks as bad as being broken down on a lonesome back road with an electrical issue.

What i absolutely loved about the 5th Gen was it's engine--twisting the throttle on that thing brought an instant smile to my face, but I have to say that the 1200 offers a very similar experience engine-wise.  (I also had a 6th Gen VTEC in between these two machines, and I HATED it.  The 1200's engine feels much more similar to the 5th Gen).

Really, the only negative I've noticed regarding the 1200 is the extra weight, but as i mentioned, it's still a supremely capable machine.  It will out perform the average riders abilities in the curves (several very talented VFRD members excluded) and she feels a lot better while riding with a passenger.

For me, the incredible torque/engine response, excellent (albeit somewhat smallish) luggage, ABS brakes, and the two-up factor makes the 1200 an excellent choice.

I completely agree with your observations on the 1200; I rode one (twice) and was absolutely smitten, but worried that it was too much bike for me after two-plus decades off motorcycles. Besides, statistics show that older riders entering or re-entering the sport often become statistics (at least in part) due to purchasing bikes that are too big and powerful for their skill level. I worried that even the 800 would be too much bike for me, but took the advice of forumites here and went for it; fortunately I seem to have survived my initial awkwardness with it, and hope to grow my skills on it for a long time. I think a 1200 will grace my garage sooner or later; it just felt right the times I took it out. For now, though, the 800 is more than enough bike for me.

I agree with you that luggage on the 5th-Gen doesn't look 'right'; I think Corbin's Beetle Bags are the sole exception to that statement, and I continue to covet a set in Y124 (Shining Pearl Yellow). Until that day comes, my Hepco & Becker bags are a nice upgrade from bungee cords and even my Kriega dry bag. And boy, can they haul a lotta stuff!

On 5/17/2017 at 10:29 AM, ECX585 said:

The 1200 is a dramatically underrated machine.  

I swear I could have written your post. Spot on with the 5th & 6th gen. However I would say that as mych as I love my 1200, I would improve just a few things: 

1. The headlights suck as soon as you lean IMO. Highway ramps or curves, the headlight shows nothing down the road.
  2. The fuel gauge on my 2010 is ridiculous. I don't mind the range really, but the first half makes you feel as though you can go forever while the second half drops at an incredible rate. And with the range varying so much depending on the type of riding, that becomes pretty important. Sometimes I get 41mpg but I have gone as low as 33!

Actually, that's all I can think of at the moment. But that is a testament to the brilliance of the bike, thats a pretty small list!

• Member Contributer

I have yet to go "I got to 140MPH too slowly on my 800, I should get a 1200."

The 800 feels "just right" with power and size for me personally. I'd consider a 1200 for a touring duty machine though as I'd prefer one of those over say a ST1300.

• 1 month later...

I haven't got my bike yet but it comes down to gens 6,7,8.

In almost 10 years on a v45 Sabre I had one crash.   Hard on the brakes to stop from 50 mph at a light which turned yellow I hit an oil patch in the road and lost the front end.  Cracked both sides of a Nava Kevlar helmet.  Wore the metal studs off the palms of my riding gloves.  Abraded all the way through one elbow of a leather jacket and got my only injury a shallow scrape the size of a half dollar on my elbow.   I learned two things.  1. Safety equipment works so use it.  2. My next bike will have ABS.  My bike had a minor dent in the gas tank and no other damage.   I shifted to cars for a while,  my next vehicle was a third generation RX-7.  Sort of a motorcycle with 4 wheels.    But I'm going back to bikes.   I like that the 1200 is shaft drive.  I liked it on the Sabre as well.  I don't like that it is nearly 600 lbs but am encouraged that people here say that it handles lighter than that. 

Going back to my early years I rode a small Honda (160 i think) and knew nothing about maintenance and thus broke an unlubed chain at 30mph in the driving rain.  The chain wrapped around and locked the rear wheel.  I did manage to keep the rubber side down but it was interesting.  Looking back I now realize that chains need care and lubrication and that hooked sprockets are not a "wonder why they did that" interesting feature, but still I prefer the shaft drive.

On the other hand the Sabre was a perfect fit for me (at 525 lbs and 85 HP ) That means the 800 is like a Sabre with 20 extra HP,  a fairing and chain drive.  I guess I need to test ride both.

And as for going 140?  I got the Sabre up to 120 and it was still pulling hard.  I realized that the Sabre would go 130 mph.  I also realized that I would not.  

I imagine the experience will be similar on other Honda v4s.   I realed in a line of cars.  Then I wondered "where is that demented laughter coming from? Oh,  that's me!" .   

Archived