Best way to learn how to work on bikes

newrider

Hey y'all!

I'm interested in learning on how to work on motorcycles but didn't think it would be the best idea to try on my vfr. Was interested in hearing suggestions of cheap ways to get into it. Or, if theres easy jobs I can start on on my 1997 VFR (with pretty straight forward instructions) Let me know of that as well! 

Thank you

• Member Contributer

First piece of advice would be to download the service manual from this site.  Do you currently do any of your own maintenance (motorcycle or car)?

Work with someone that knows wtf they are doing.

Learn from them. Or, take classes, go to school. :sleep:

I think it helps if you are mechanically inclined.

You know, not a Klutz. :laugh:

Yep, there's easy stuff you can do on your own bike, routine maintenance, etc. Another good way is to buy a cheap project bike, ideally one that runs, but needs work, that way you're not trying to do stuff to your ride under pressure, then need it to get to work the next day.

Dive in & have a crack!

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, MVinOZ said:

Yep, there's easy stuff you can do on your own bike, routine maintenance, etc. Another good way is to buy a cheap project bike, ideally one that runs, but needs work, that way you're not trying to do stuff to your ride under pressure, then need it to get to work the next day.

Dive in & have a crack!

Yeah, good advice on the project bike. Not having to rely on the bike you are working on to run perfectly as your sole means of transport is very liberating.

Start small and work your way up, and make sure to get some reasonable tools. A good socket set, screwdriver set, torque wrench and oil filter wrench are good starters, but really there is no end to what you may want or need, as you progress into more complicated procedures.

• Member Contributer

YouTube - MikeE RideWNC has some excellent how/to videos for 4th gen VFRs. And I believe he is a member here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Very good question.  Whatever I know is by using the service manual, if needed, then using good tools, then just doing it.  

There's probably not much I can't do on my VFR but there is a lot I just don't want to do therefore, won't do.  You need to enjoy it to do good bike work.  A lot of it, I don't enjoy.  

I'm going to clean and lube my chain up real good this afternoon anyway.....: )

• Member Contributer

Jeez, a lot of it is that I was always curious on how things work since I was 12 or 13 and tore down my dads riding mower. (He was pissed, but asked if I thought I could put it back together. Of course I said yes and I did and it still ran fine.)  That followed with a buddy's dirt bike wrenching together and followed by a school neighbors 4 car garage hangout for us gearhead fools with cars and bikes in various states of repair and resto as we got older onto high school. Somehow, I was wrenching on everything going on and buddies would ask me -- whadya think?  Dunno, but my excuse? - I was born this way - I cant remember a time where I wasn't wrench happy ...... ...... 

How to tell a newbie to go that direction? Start with an oil change, if that doesnt freak you out, mbe other maintenence tasks will be ok for you. 

• Member Contributer

The Haynes superbike manual has more "tips" than the Honda manual, so I would start there.  Then just start doing maintenance and acquiring a few tools.  You'll either enjoy it or hate it... :cool:

Ciao,

I do almost everything myself. I probably won't handle my next new chain as I can never get the pressure just right when riveting the master link, but I'll do anything else. I'll start things new to me by reading a service manual and watching YouTube videos just to help me identify parts and the best way to get things apart without unnecessary work or breaking things. You'll also see little things you may not have though about, like greasing certain parts. If I need a new tool, I'll go out and buy it, then have at it. There isn't much that you can irreparably damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

You might want to browse through the Maintenance and Modifications sections right here on VFRD.  If you have a problem or are going to work on something, chances are good someone has documented their work on it here - particularly in the electrical section.  Browse the pinned posts and scan down for other topics.  Some will be quite informative, others not so much. 

You also might want to pick up a book or video on mechanics basics that covers topics that apply to anything mechanical - such as starting all bolts on a part prior to tightening any, or what types of sealants to use in any particular application or torquing nuts / bolts in a specified sequence to prevent distorting the workpiece. 

You'll also want to have some additional tools beyond just common wrenches and sockets.  A couple of high quality torque wrenches - one calibrated in inch-pounds and a larger one for bigger fasteners will help you keep from stripping threads.  A multi-meter for electrical work is useful.  Locking pliers, an oil filter wrench, JIS screwdrivers and a selection of T-handle allen drivers are other common examples. 

On 9/17/2016 at 1:22 AM, JZH said:

The Haynes superbike manual has more "tips" than the Honda manual, so I would start there.  Then just start doing maintenance and acquiring a few tools.  You'll either enjoy it or hate it... :cool:

Some of us have a love hate thing going on there. :unsure::laugh:

Archived