Coming to Victoria

digitallyhip

• Member Contributer

Mrs Hip and I are heading South on Thursday to spend three weeks with the first fruit of our loins. He's living and working on a sheep station near Stockyard Hill, and the other two have a plan for a mountain hiking trip. Because I have crappy feet, I can't hike worth beans, and Son of Hip has suggested that I rent a bike and ride while they hike.

I'm looking for suggestions for a 2-3 day trip in the area. Any rental companies that I should avoid or seek out? Anything you figure I need to know about your part of the world?

advTHANKSance

• Member Contributer

I was going to follow Christian and suggest you ask Ian.....as a joke....you my friend are a lucky man!!

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

By "bike" I'm assuming you mean of the motor variety. 

Can't help with rentals.

Must do ride would be the Great Ocean Road and all around the Otways.

Be careful around Otways as this is rain forest area.

• Member Contributer

Well, thank you boOzzie. We are in Stockyard Hill now, and leaving for Hobart tomorrow. My plan is a short rental next week and I am hoping that the Great Ocean Road is opened by then. We were in Lorne a couple of days ago and at that point the road stopped there.

Thanks for the Otways warning!

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, digitallyhip said:

Well, thank you boOzzie. We are in Stockyard Hill now, and leaving for Hobart tomorrow. My plan is a short rental next week and I am hoping that the Great Ocean Road is opened by then. We were in Lorne a couple of days ago and at that point the road stopped there.

Thanks for the Otways warning!

If you can, rent a bike in tassie.

Magnificent roads, reasonably quiet on traffic.

However as you are probably well aware the weather is .....well shit?

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, boOZZIE said:

If you can, rent a bike in tassie.

Magnificent roads, reasonably quiet on traffic.

However as you are probably well aware the weather is .....well shit?

I hadn't thought of renting there! But yes: the forecast looks pretty much like home right now.

Well, home plus floods and landslides!

• Member Contributer

Well, after two weeks of torrential rain, flooded roads, landslides, and a zillion miles in borrowed and rental cars, we had an amazing day of sun and beautiful winding roads in Tasmania today. So of course, I had no bike. We went from Hobart to Freycinet National Park and I really, really wished that I was riding. Twisty, interesting roads with not too much traffic, many overtaking lanes, and perfectly reasonable speed limits!

Plus: those Tasmanians look out for those on two wheels.

tasmanian-motorcycle-signs.jpg

Archived