Fitting a Delkevic exhaust to an 8th gen.

Nelix

• Member Contributer

This may be of some use to someone changing their exhaust, though to be honest it was not difficult and I'm the type of guy that could break kryptonite when working on a vehicle.
Took me about an hour. Required tools, plus gas, socket set, spanner, allen keys and liberal swear words (optional)

Removing the OEM exhaust.
I used plus gas on the bolts to be removed, everything came off easily enough but my bike is only a few months old with 3000miles on it.

Bike as standard.

thumb_MICR0004_1024_zps4bw9eqnw.jpg

Using a 12mm socket and spanner, loosen the nut and bolt holding the exhaust onto the hanger on the passenger foot peg. Keep these safe as you will need to reuse for the Delkevic.

thumb_MICR0005_1024_zps0imp7py7.jpgthumb_MICR0007_1024_zpsoo6jzopb.jpg

There is a clamp with two bolts where the exhaust joins the manifold, remove these with a 12mm socket, keep these also as although they are not used for the Delkevic you will need them if you go back to stock.thumb_MICR0006_1024_zpsw9c4hzbq.jpg
Once these are removed, remove the bolt at the hanger whilst supporting the exhaust and gently wiggle and pull it free.

Bike sans exhaust.

thumb_MICR0008_1024_zpsfrcqtgn2.jpg

Fitting the Delkivic.

Firstly attach the rubber sleeve to the exhaust support bracket ensuring it is on correctly both sides and all the way round.

thumb_MICR0011_1024_zpscr2b3zzp.jpg

Using the exhaust sealant supplied, put a bead of sealant all the way round the inside of the Delkevic exhaust and the inside of the link pipe connecting to the manifold.

thumb_MICR0012_1024_zpsk1jlz2kk.jpg

Then join them loosely together, ensuring the clamp is in place.

thumb_MICR0013_1024_zpsb2h7syof.jpg

The next bit is a wee bit tricky. Have the bike on the side stand (this will allow you to check if the rubber stop for the centre stand is correctly aligned) I put some WD40 on the manifold pipe as it was quite tight and it needs to go all the way on.
Have a good look at the picture on the Delkevic site to give you an idea of the position of the link pipe. Slip the link pipe onto the manifold pipe making sure the clamp is in position, and work it all the way on, slip the hanger over the exhaust and bolt it loosely to the foot peg.
Now check the alignment of the link pipe rubber stop for the centre stand and the alignment of the exhaust itself, once you are happy all is in place correctly tighten up the clamp on the link pipe to the manifold pipe, the clamp joining the link pipe to the Delkevic and the bolt on the hanger.

Job done.

IMG_0590_zpsxafodkyy.jpg
IMG_0589_zps5rrdqesm.jpg

Very pleased with the sound, camera phone does not do it justice really.
I did not notice a great deal of difference after taking the baffle out, I will try a few runs in and out and decide then.

Baffle out.

• 9 months later...

Hi, 

I just installed mine yesterday, and I was in doubt about the piece that comes in the image, is it to stay mounted? Because I could not fit it!

19944304_10213986138196388_4822871641318

• Member Contributer

No you don't need to fit it, keep it with your original muffler. As far as I know all the aftermarket pipes fit without the OEM gasket. The Delkivic should just slip on nicely over the cat converter outlet and the supplied clamp tightned to suit.

Mounted mine a few weeks ago, I think that came off still inserted in the stock muffler. The connecting pipe for the Dell goes directly over the header pipe, and butts against that raised flange. The collar you show is not used.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, zegued said:

Nice, I was worried about that! The sound is amazing!

Thank you!

Sounds like an angry MotoGP bike - I love it!  Make sure you wear your earplugs :tongue:

Archived