CBR wheel conversion on VF1000 FF - tyres?

Ascalon

So, I'm about to order up the Daugherty CBR600 F2 wheel conversion kits for my VF1000 FF.

I was looking at Dunlop Road Smart IIs, as I had them on other bikes and liked them a lot, and there are good deals available.

I was just wondering, for the weight of the VF, are they a good idea?

What tyres have people run on CBR6 shod VFs?

Thanks,

A

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello Ascalon.

I dont use CBR600 wheels but close relatives although wider in the rear on most.

At the moment I have Michelin Pilots, Michelin Power Pures, Continental Motions and Michelin Road 4`s.

The Road 4`s are the same size probably as what you are considering (3.5" x 17" and  4.5" x 17") and they are on my modified V65 Sabre which is my heaviest bike. I am very pleasantly surprised by these tires.

I have heard good things about the Road Smarts but I have never tried them myself. 

Thanks for that.

After a bit of research, I'm going to go with a 120/70 17 front and a 160/60 17 rear in the Road Smart IIs.

That still pitches it forward a bit, but it should benefit for that :)

I am loosing some clearance overall, but it should be manageable.

The thing is, it is all entirely reversible, so if worst comes to worst, the only things unsalvageable are the modified speedo drive and sprocket carrier.

I'll live with that :)

• Member Contributer

Hi Ascalon,

I am running F2 wheels on my VF750F, and had Pirelli Rosso (something or others), Dunlop RoadSmrts on the rear, and now recently put on Michelin PilotRoad3s.  All were 120/70-17 and 160/60-17.  I often rode with full touring set-up (cases, topbox, campinggear). 

I really like how the PR3s feel.  But recall the RoadSmart was a good dual compound rear.  Pirellis were on before all the suspension tweaks.

Things to consider are over all rear height.  I believe the stock rear wheel on VF1000 is 17" so maybe not much change other than a bit of tire sidewall stiffness and relative height. The front overall circumference was pretty close between the old and new so that was ok. 

I had to adjust suspension a lot and now the new Michelin tires really feel great, and am very confident on the ol'VF.  Hope you find the same with your set up.

120/70 front (or 120/60) and 160/60 rear is what you need. A 150/70 rear also work if the 160 is tight in fit for the swing arm. Many radial options in 150/70 as well, mostly sport touring tires, but they are good as grippy for most I think.

Thanks guys, good info there.

I think I'll go with the 120/70 front and the 160/60 rear. Clearance on the rear seems to be OK.

As regards adjustability, I have a custom fit Wilbers 641 on the rear so there's loads of adjustment there, but the forks are not easily adjustable.

They have been rebuilt with Wilbers springs and oil and a custom spacer to with the anti-dive deactivated. There's also a Telefix fork brace, which is pretty hefty.

To be honest, the forks feel great and the damping is just nice. I'm hoping they are robust enough to cope with the changes and I can dial out anything with adjustment at the rear where the high and low speed compression, rebound and hydraulic preload and ride height adjustment should give me the scope to mess about.

Archived