Rearsets for 5th gen.?

number9

I'd like to lower my footpegs if possible. I know that BLS has his lowering blocks, which is one option.

Then there's this eBay listing, which is a replacement footpeg that happens to be moved lower.

Does anyone make a "full" rearset for the 5th gen? I know that Harris in the UK used to make 'em, but they're no longer available. Sato make an expensive RC51 option, but I don't see one for our bikes.

• Member Contributer

Rear sets for the 5 Gen are about as available as oxygen on the moon. Another option is changing out the rear cush to a 6 Gen and get adjustable ear sets for a 6 Gen, Although it does require a little more parts than just the cush, it is none the less an option. One more option, albeit one that is not a reality just yet, wait for the Tyga rear sets to become available. There's a thread here somewhere that discusses the topic.

• Member Contributer

BLS lowering blocks should work, as should the eBay footpegs you've linked to (I've used ones of a similar design on other bikes).  But they're not rearsets, so your range will be limited and the brake/shift lever distances will be changed. 

Did Gilles Tooling ever make rearsets for the 5th gen?  Not anymore, I'm sure.

In any case, because rearsets are generally used on race bikes or track bikes, neither of which the 5th gen VFR is or was, and because the 5th gen's footpeg holders are unique to that bike, there have been very few aftermarket rearset options for the 5th gen--if any.

To be clear, the Tyga project would be for the 6th gen, not the 5th, so you would have to fit a 6th gen "cushion" bracket in any case.  Sato makes rearsets for the 6th gen right now.  Expensive, but still available.

Because I plan on doing the 6th gen cushion conversion one day, I made this parts list, but having not "done the deed", I included all of the relevant part numbers, rather than just the ones that would be needed.  In general, part numbers with "MCW" in the middle would not be found on a 5th gen bike, but "MBG" parts would be; other parts may or may not be on both bikes.  So, it's a work in progress, but you may find it useful:

VFR800 VTEC Rear Cushion Lower Bracket Parts.jpg

[EDIT:  Just noticed that this diagram doesn't include the part number for the rear cushion itself (#2 on left), which, of course, is the biggie!]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I'd just advise if you think about the cush swap, before you do anything check those cross bolts, as they seize up badly so best make sure you can remove them before buying the replacement parts !

• Member Contributer

If you buy a used rear cushion on eBay, it will have a broken off head on the right side center stand bolt. It's reverse threaded and bike breakers don't know this, so they hammer it with an impact until it snaps!

• 3 weeks later...

you can also remove the rubber from the footpeg, take the two screws out of the bottom, take the rubber off and thread the screws back in. about a half inch lower for free and i think my shoes grip the screws better than the rubber when wet. not the best looking but i noticed a difference

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I ended up buying a used VTEC rear cushion and a set of Sato rearsets from Revzilla (currently $436...)  Not yet in my hands, though.  

Bolts 8 and 9 on the LHS of the diagram I posted above have different part numbers for RC46-I and RC46-II, but their dimensions are listed as identical, so I've decided to wait on those, but I did also pick up a VTEC swing arm pivot bolt and "nut" from eBay, as that is definitely different.  The sprocket cover is the same part number, so that should not need any change, but the RHS heat shields are different.  Not sure if the VTEC one will fit on the earlier bike?

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Once upon a time Harris in England made rear sets for the gen.5 but they're as rare as hens teeth. Don't bother writing them, no longer made.

• Member Contributer
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, KevCarver said:

If you buy a used rear cushion on eBay, it will have a broken off head on the right side center stand bolt. It's reverse threaded and bike breakers don't know this, so they hammer it with an impact until it snaps!

So you can imagine how I laughed/cried when I discovered that the one I bought off eBay had received exactly this treatment...

Reverse thread with what appears to be blue thread lock on it, in this case.  Oh well.  At least the first step (drilling a pilot hole) shouldn't require any special tools: a regular drill bit should have the same effect as a reverse drill bit on a regular thread (i.e., it might get the broken bolt out by itself).

Btw, the Satos look great!  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

You could always try the adjustable offset peg mounts. They replace the stock foot peg with na adjustable item that can move 360 degrees, moving back up, or forward & down etc. There are some that just do the same to a fixed point. Alternately get a set of stock 5th gen hangers & fabricate a setup that allows any stnadard rearsets to be mounted. Or justride with your toes on the pegs like I do :)

• Member Contributer

Could have been worse...

large_a110441_1.jpg.6da537f97e2402aab0d2a31094d0d600.jpg

This pic of a recent eBay find shows what happens when you don't RTFM!

Speaking of centre stands, though, it recently occurred to me that the 5th gen stand is probably different than the 6th gen stand.  Are they interchangeable?  Can you use a 6th gen stand on a 5th gen bike running the 6th gen cushion mount?  Or did the people who have done this mod in the past just not mentioned that it is incompatible with using a center stand?!?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

+2 on paying attention to threading! I'd successfully removed and installed 6th gen centerstands before [Right side bolt has reverse threads] and was preparing to remove my 5th gen's centerstand. Just to be certain, I breezed through a thread called '5th gen rear sets' and found the phrase 'be careful, right side center stand bolts are reverse thread'. As JZH states above, RTFM, or, in my case 'Read the thread F'ing thoroughly and carefully'. The thread detailed the swapping of cush brackets and was referring to 6th gen threading. I SWEAR the right side centerstand bolt on my 5th gen never even hinted that it wanted to stop turning as I carefully tightened it until it  snapped off. Oops.

5TH GEN CENTERSTAND BOLTS [AND THEREFORE 5TH GEN CUSH BRACKETS]  USE STANDARD THREADING ON BOTH SIDES.

Hope this can save someone the delightful exercise of drilling and, if you're luckier than I was, easy-outing a securely embedded, very hardened bolt. After suspending the back of the bike and dicking around with the removed cush bracket for a few days  - drilling, easy-outs, more drilling, machine shop, attempts to drill and drive the bolt from the inside back out, etc. -  I bought an eBay replacement cush bracket.

I am developing a set of plates which will allow bolt up of standard CBR rearsets (or any aftermarket for same model). The prototypes are done, I am looking for a cnc vendor with reasonable pricing before I can bring them offer here or anywhere else.

If I can't get them cnc machined, I could resort to my prototype method of fabrication. But, then the end result would not be as nice looking without also also adding powdercoat cost.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

I am developing a set of plates which will allow bolt up of standard CBR rearsets (or any aftermarket for same model). 

For 6th gen or 5th gen?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 8/21/2017 at 3:27 PM, JZH said:

Speaking of centre stands, though, it recently occurred to me that the 5th gen stand is probably different than the 6th gen stand.  Are they interchangeable?  Can you use a 6th gen stand on a 5th gen bike running the 6th gen cushion mount?  Or did the people who have done this mod in the past just not mentioned that it is incompatible with using a center stand?!?

Ciao,

It seems to me that the C stands are interchangeable, it's just the bolt that threads backerds in the 6th. But I don't recall if I've ever tried it. Probably most who want different pegs by this point are going sporty and want the C stand off anyway. 

Side Stands are definitely not interchangeable and you'll need a 6G stand for a 6G rear cushion. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Here is a pic of the prototype plate, paired with Sato kit for a CBR.

IMG_20170707_192857_887_zpsvktzi44u.jpg

There is quite a lot of interest in that picture... :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

Here is a pic of the prototype plate, paired with Sato kit for a CBR.

IMG_20170707_192857_887_zpsvktzi44u.jpg

So many unique details in your build, Seb, it's difficult to focus on just the rear set adapter plate. The pattern on the clutch pressure plate - only visible through your signature window, the exhaust primaries, collector, and canister fabrication, the oil cooler line, the master cylinder reservoir, and perhaps a full rain race tire? Just browsed your Facebook page - what a portfolio! It would be interesting to see images of the scorcerer and a few of his machining devices as well as his work. Then again, that might remove some of the magic.

Archived