10 amp fuse keeps blowing

soarider

so here is my problem i have a 2000 vfr 8001461798729186[1].jpg the fuse box right behind the tank is blowing the turn signal and horn fuse ,this happend in the morning ,so later that day i started taking apart the bike all the fairing down to the bare butt ,i had unpluged every thing on that circut ,it is a direct short to ground ,i know this cause i tested it with my light and no matter what i did it did not change ,so the short has to be after  the fuse box before it gets to the plug up front for the right hand control plug for the starter swith and the on and off swtich for the engine ,that much i do know now the bike still runs ,but i took a really thick jumper wire and put it where the fuse would go ,i left the key in the off postion when i put the wire in i left it in place and i very quickly switch the key on and off to see if i could see anything obvious ,well all the lites on the dash were dim both time when i switched the key on and off once i saw that i turned off the switch and removed the wire ,then i tried to start it one last time and nothing no fuel pump running no fuel pump relay just lites on dash and the fi lite was flashing codes it flASHED a 12 13 14 15 8 and 9 with all that being said i think i fried the ecm i screwed the pooch on this one so now i im pretty sure i have to buy a computuer for it ,im so pissed off at my self ,does any body have a computer for my bike that i could buy off of i need one :blush: im also going to buy a hole new harness for it ,to many issues with this one, does any body have any suggestions that i can do to confirm that the computer is dead for sure .this is my every day driver ,i dont even know how im getting to wk on tues :mad:   

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The issue I had on both my 09 and 01 was the front brake light switch was shorting out. What made it hard to suss out was that it didn't always blow the fuse when I squeezed the brake lever. It took a few times to find the issue but ultimately it was the wires being pressed against the clip-on. This happened because I like to rotate the levers as far forward as I can get them to have a less angle on wrist when I have my fingers on the levers.

As far as your ECU, can't help you there but can you reset the error codes? or at least found out what the codes mean?

Archived