Handicap Modifications, or bang your head slowy

bobbyn

Its been over a month since I bought the 8th gen VFR800  and I haven't turned a wheel yet. My mission is to modify the bike so I can ride it with one hand. This is my 10-11 bike so i know what i'm doing. Because I'm trying to do it a little differently, its taking much longer than I expected. 

The 8th gen comes with ABS on the USA deluxe model so the brake lines are both rubber and hard lines. This is great in modifying the brakes as I can tie into the junction blocks that connect the rubber & hard lines. The challenge is where to find the adapters that will makes this happen. Since my usual method was to remove all the lines and make my own steel braided lines, this area of expertise is new to me. This new approach saves me from ripping the new bike apart and the $$ to make the lines. 

I am using Goodridge prefitted lines and they did have an adapter that fit the rear brake junction block (see pic). My dilemma is finding an adapter that will join the front OEM hard line and the Goodridge line. I've already wasted $65 and two weeks waiting for the wrong parts from the UK. Now I'm looking at auto brake parts catalogs like www.jegs.com for help. Three units are on there way, but that's another 7 days down the tubes. A side plan is to machine an existing OEM brake line junction block. That part is on its way too.

Rear brake connection.jpg

Front brake line.jpg

Hard brake line male fitting..jpg

IMAG3703.jpg

Pic 1-Twin Master Cylinder.jpg

Pic 2-Finished rear brake connection with adapter.jpg

Pic 3-Wrong adapter.jpg

VFR in progress.jpg

• Member Contributer

this might be me being a retard and it getting late and my mind is fried, but what is the end goal here?

what brake mechanism are you using?

just trying to get more detail to what we are doing

Clue in this pic - dual lever / master cylinder mechanism.

I'd hazard a guess that Bobbyn is looking to run both clutch and brakes off the right bar - so the DCBS needs to run off one lever. Clutch is relatively straightforward.

Pic 1-Twin Master Cylinder.jpg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, bobbyn said:

I was born with only a right hand. 'Nuff said.

good luck then, was trying to figure out how you needed to operate brakes clutch ect. thought maybe with more detail on this we could help figure it out for you.  

• Member Contributer

Also from what I remember wants to run front brake from rear pedal and vice versa along with clutch etc.  

Take my hat off to you mate.  

Getting back back on thread.   Are there no riders with disability constructors in the states?  There are a few in the UK. Who are only took glad to pass on advice to folk.  

Cant remember names off off top of head but a Google search should provide info. Have seen a few modded bikes including a track bike. 

Looks to me like our man knows exactly what he needs to do and has the KNOWHOW and equipment to pull it off. If I'm not mistaken he is just looking for a joint piece to tap into the metal block on the existing system so he is looking for a lead on where to obtain the hardware. Right?

• Member Contributer

PM sent with details/links to a dutch VFR rider with only his right arm functioning.

Go for it!!!

As you may know, motorcycling in the USA is not treated as a serious mode of transportation. While almost every car manufacturer has a "mobility" program to help pay to modify their cars for customers with a physical disability, both Honda motorcycles & Harley-Davidson both told me to "have a nice day".

There are small companies that make devices, but essentially every modification will be unique. My 1997 & 2014 VFR's are very similar, but the application of my mods are unique to the 2014 because of the Honda's hard brake lines.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Looks to me like our man knows exactly what he needs to do and has the KNOWHOW and equipment to pull it off. If I'm not mistaken he is just looking for a joint piece to tap into the metal block on the existing system so he is looking for a lead on where to obtain the hardware. Right?

Correct.

2 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

There is an outfit or two here that specializes in disability stuff for motorcycles but you need to bring a fat wallet and/or hope you have a bike they're set up to deal with.

What are the names of the companies?

thanks

There is / was an old thread I passed along to my ex brother in law, with some info.

He had only a right arm, after an accident at a young age.

I tried his one handlebar recumbent bicycle once. That was wobbly.

I won't say hope this helps, it doesn't.

Enjoy the bike though. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Besides Jegs another source I've used for specialty products is Summit Racing.  Barring that, maybe give Wilwood a call - they may not have what you're looking for but surely know who would.  Looking forward to seeing photos of this install and how it all works.  Best of luck with it.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, bobbyn said:

What are the names of the companies?

thanks

Sorry to be a tease but I wish I could remember.  Several years ago I did some of the footwork for a friend with a mobility impairment.

I wish I saw this message earlier.  I spent the last two hours hanging out with a guy who had a suicide shift installed on his Gold Wing because his left leg is fooked.  Tomorrow I gotta ask him who pulled that stunt off.

A little Google work just now did turn up a thing or two.  Try searching on motorcycle modifications for disabled riders.

Also if you need stuff fabricated and you can learn a fairly simple CAD program, you can try out http://www.emachineshop.com.  The one-off rates aren't too bad as long as you're smart about the choice of type and the number of machining operations for the part you're designing.  They also offer anodizing.  Not sure about powder coating.  You can download their software for free to give it a whirl.  It gives you pricing for your creations right there in the software.

Modifying my Gen 8 has been a very slow process, mainly due to small items that take a while to find. It was three weeks before I found proper adapter between steel braided lines and a hard brake line. This morning I was elbow deep in a bolts bin at my local hardware store, but I found what I was looking for.

I still have to test ride it to see if everything works!

IMG-20160914-WA0000.jpeg

IMAG3741.jpg

On 9/7/2016 at 6:40 PM, TheGoldTooth said:

Sorry, no doubt I will feel dense for asking this, but what does "10-11 bike" mean?

I took that to mean "10th or 11th bike", I could be wrong....

Great stuff mate, love that you're all over it despite it being probably more than twice as hard as for the rest of us, would love to see the setup/more details when it's complete!

There's an Australian club racer over here calle Alan Kempster with only one arm & one leg, his race number is "1/2" :)

http://alankempsterracing.webs.com/

5 minutes ago, MVinOZ said:

I took that to mean "10th or 11th bike", I could be wrong....

Great stuff mate, love that you're all over it despite it being probably more than twice as hard as for the rest of us, would love to see the setup/more details when it's complete!

There's an Australian club racer over here calle Alan Kempster with only one arm & one leg, his race number is "1/2" :)

http://alankempsterracing.webs.com/

You are right, I did mean  the number of bikes I've modified.

I've followed Kempster. The fact that he road with Mick Doohan is amazing!

So the final part allowed all the modification parts to finally come together. I test road the bike around the block and the brakes work. There was a little weep from the bolts on the twin master cylinder but a little extra torque cured that. In trying to be extra careful to not damage the most expensive part of this conversion, I got a little too cautious. The threads on every tap on the twin master cylinder were different . Even the bolt holding the brake fluid reservoir was work as it was SAE (Imperial) and not metric.  I will register the bike for the road Friday and start riding it. 

I know my description of this conversion has been haphazard but I've never tried using existing brake systems before. Finding parts that work was the real chore.

Pass on any questions. I'll be happy to go over it.

IMAG3783.jpg

IMAG3784.jpg

IMAG3785.jpg

IMAG3786.jpg

IMAG3787_BURST001.jpg

IMAG3789.jpg

IMAG3790.jpg

IMAG3791.jpg

IMAG3792.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a very sharp looking install.  Nicely done.  I wish I understood its operation better.  I'm guessing here - but the longer lever is the brake and the shorter operates the clutch - or?  It would be very interesting if you'd care to share more about how it works.

Archived