Chinese air filter

Belfry

• Member Contributer

When I was doing my pre-season maintenance three months ago, I checked the air filter and decided that with some cleaning it would be okay.  However, I made a mental note to get a replacement before next summer.  While shopping for something unrelated on AliExpress, a site I've only recently started using, I typed in 'VFR 800 air filter' on a whim and came up with this.  The last time I bought an air filter it was OEM from my local Honda dealer and it was $66.74 CAD.  I figured that for $17.02 CAD (with free shipping), it was worth a gamble.  Most (if not all) the vendors on AliExpress are in China, so the shipping time was up to six weeks, but I wasn't in a hurry.  The filter arrived today, 22 days later.  It looks a lot like the OEM, but (I haven't taken the old one out to compare them yet), it feels lighter and thinner--which probably means less filter material.  I'm the suspicious type, having heard stories about factories in China that make the OEM part, then turn around a few days later and make the non-branded part (which sells for a fraction of the price) on the same equipment, using the same materials.  I don't believe that's the case with this filter, but it's a close knock-off in some respects including the metal screen on the bottom.  I'll make a closer comparison when I change the filter, but since I can get four Chinese filters for the price of one OEM, it begs the question as to whether it's better for the engine to put in a new Chinese filter every season, or run the OEM for two or three.  (Note: The price of the Chinese filter seems to have dropped to $16.74 CAD/$12.59 USD since I ordered three weeks ago.)  In any case, a few photos for your consideration:

Packaging.jpg

It came well packaged in a shipping bag with foam on all sides.

Plastic.jpg

Inside the packing, it was sealed in plastic.

Top_1.jpg

Top view--looks a lot like the OEM.

IMG_0103.jpg

Here's the last OEM filter I installed when it was new.

Bottom.jpg

Bottom of Chinese filter.  Looks similar to the OEM from what I can recall.

I don't know. An air filter is as important as an oil filter. Why risk it for $30 savings? 

The OEM filter is made in Japan and meets their specifications for failure rate, air flow, and filtering qualities. Other quality filters like K&N is pretty much near OEM level. I just can't trust Chinese quality and reliability when the price is low. It's low because they compromised on something. Not that they're incapable of building quality stuff but they are known for building low quality stuff to meet a price point that's all.

Not always is cheaper worse in quality. 

As example: Honda rr costs 250 euro

Shindengen rr costs 125 euro.

So the Homda stamp costs me actually 125 euro, because its exactly the same rr fabrikated  by Shindemgen. 

And nowaday's a lot of Japanese company's have their stuff produced in China, put their stamp on it and sell it as originally Japanese. 

Europese company's have their stuff mass produced in China, import it as half fabrikate, add a little thing and sell it as original European product. 

• Member Contributer

I held the 26 euro from louis.de next to the oem honda, looks like the same manufacturer.

40 euro difference is a 1 litre bottle of Laphroaig...

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

See this, we Chinese VFRCHINA rider is deprecated, because we buy in China the only needs 40 RMB(6$) , but his seal, and the size of the installation, it is very informal, and the quality of the paper, also can cause excessive dust filter out, the damage to the engine, so we are  use KN air filter or a British brand, followed by Japan original factory, air filter, filter is very important, we also give the Chinese riders use mobil 1, 10 w40 JASO MA oil, protect our engine, hope my reply to your help, thank you

• 5 months later...

Did this part ever get fitted and used?

I'd love to know if it was a worthy buy, Plus I love Aliexpress, I've been using it for years!

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, ChefDav said:

Did this part ever get fitted and used?

I'd love to know if it was a worthy buy, Plus I love Aliexpress, I've been using it for years!

Why are people so eager to put crappy Chinese parts on their bikes just to save under $30?!

6 hours ago, thtanner said:

Why are people so eager to put crappy Chinese parts on their bikes just to save under $30?!

It's those $10 head people. You know, the ones that buy $10 helmets. :squid:

• Member Contributer

Well,

I put a 1k helmet on my head,

P6210482.thumb.jpg.0e612c4388984b1beed37dadb1ea895c.jpg

but after comparing the airfilters side by side (for the 4th gen) I happily saved $35 buying a non-OEM through a mc supply chain from Germany (who most likely source in China) :goofy:

• Member Contributer

My guess would be that it either doesn't flow like the OEM or doesn't filter like it. Possibly both. 

If it "feels lighter", why do you think that is ? A revolutionary material unknown to Honda or a rubbish filter that will let all sorts of dust into the engine ?

There are decent aftermarket air filters that don't cost nearly as much as the OEM. I'd go for one of those if I were you but, hey ! It's your engine. :unsure:

• Member Contributer
On 9/3/2016 at 8:53 AM, Rogue_Biker said:

I don't know. An air filter is as important as an oil filter. Why risk it for $30 savings? 

The OEM filter is made in Japan and meets their specifications for failure rate, air flow, and filtering qualities. Other quality filters like K&N is pretty much near OEM level. I just can't trust Chinese quality and reliability when the price is low. It's low because they compromised on something. Not that they're incapable of building quality stuff but they are known for building low quality stuff to meet a price point that's all.

Pretty much sums it up well.  Considering the time, mental enjoyment, aftermarket stuff, tires, gasoline, and other things we invest in owning a bike, why cheap out on an air filter?  Reminds me of K&N filters.  How many people that have had K&N failures wish they had put an OEM filter on their bike?  

• Member Contributer

Just noticed this thread had been resurrected.  Unfortunately I can't contribute anything new.  When I did my annual filter check this year (shortish summer riding season here in the Great White North), I found the OEM filter was still in good condition.  I vacuumed it out and reinstalled it, so the Chinese knock-off is still on the shelf.  I'm generally a believer in OEM parts, I just couldn't resist taking a look at this filter at its price point.  I remain a bit suspicious of it and if I do use it next season I'll probably check it frequently and replace it with OEM if I have any doubts.  I still haven't weighed them (my arm-o-meter says the Chinese filter is a bit lighter), but the knock-off is almost identical in appearance to the OEM.  The only difference (it was visible in the Photobucket pics :mad:) is four little plastic 'arms' over the filter material on the top.  However, you can see the attachment points for the 'arms' molded into the plastic on the knock-off which makes me think VFRBert was correct and they may even be produced in the same factory.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Belfry said:

may even be produced in the same factory.

It is likely the tooling got sold, and was put back into use. I've seen it happen on a few things.

Original tooling is considered worn, so it's replaced. Old tooling sold (or.. "discarded",) and is later found resurrected in another warehouse pumping out knock offs. Fit and finish not as good as it was originally, but still technically the same thing as long as source materials are the same. Then again, do you trust the guys making the knock offs to source good materials?

• Member Contributer

I do trust the brand manufacturers to leverage their name at much as possible towards a price point the market will bear and maximises their ROI/profit.

Belfry: chuck the filter in the bin. You reached the point that you will be spending time checking a part more frequently because you no longer trust it...... Time you could be using riding the bike...  The saving you made will be negated by "time checking it" and fearing it will cause you to crash, burn and die! :goofy: 

I base my view on non-oem filters sourced from Germany, not Aliexpress

Archived