Is there an easy way to change the low beam relay?

• Member Contributer

If it's behind the headlight, then yes. I forget, is it next to the turn signal relay? 

If you've been in it a few times, there are some effort saving steps, but in general it's going to be a lot of work. You can leave the side fairings on, but it can be overall easier to take them off if you haven't done it much. 

I've got the art of stripping the side and rear fairings off down to well... an art.. So i guess i'll just strips the whole damn thing at the same time as there's some work i want to get done at the rear, too.

From my googlings; The relay i'm after is just behind the instrument cluster, one of a pair, on the right side. I may as well just replace both relays there while i'm doing it.

• Member Contributer

Never heard of a failed OEM headlight relay.  Never.  Are you sure that's the cause of your problem?

Ciao,

low beam and hi beam relays are actually behind the dash unit.

i was there couple of weeks ago, you'll have to remove the inner fairing around the dash, then remove the mirrors and front fairing's side bolts (3 on each side) that'll give you enough space to reach relays once the 3 nuts holding the dash are removed. its fun and easy, but i've seen bikes that are a lot harder

Well, it's not the bulbs or connectors. All fuses are fine, and i lost low beam just before i lost the reg/rec.

I shall try to access it via the dash. Good suggestion. And may as well order some LED bulbs, yeah. Yeah!

That'd be 12V 1.7W Wedge, or LED 286 Wedge, right? All in white?

i have the speedo and tach in stock incandescent bulbs but switched the 2 bulbs for LCD display with blue, and yes thats the size im using, but make sure you buy the short ones as its kinda shallow in, and if you put the bulb in and it dont work, take it out, rotate it 180 degrees then put it back in (LED's are sensitive to +/- polarity, incandescents aren't).

back to the bulb/ relay issue, when you're there you can try to swap the hi and lo beam relays around and see if it works, they're both the same type, if i remember correctly, hi beam relay is the one on the left (clutch) side, and lo beam one is the right (throttle) side.

also, before digging there, might as well take apart the handlebar switchgear and take a look there too, mine wasn't working on high beam because it was dirty and greasy in there, worked fine after i cleaned it, and also test continuity from the switch it self (i believe you're testing continuity between the Blue, Blue/White and White wires)

A fair point about switches. But i've already had them apart and cleaned them. But i shall indeed check the relays by switching them. If it's not that, it'd have to be continuity.

And if it's not that? I shall cleanse it with fire. Or maybe a new front loom...

Archived