Continental?

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any experience with Continental tires?  Specifically, the Sport Attack 3?

Looking for something that wears better than the dual-comp Michelins (PP2CT, PP4, PR2's PR3's) I've been throwing money at.  

You're not going to get any decent mileage out of a full sport tire. I don't have any experience with Continental but I've been enjoying the Bridgestone T30 Evo, and it's been wearing well. Also significantly cheaper than the Michelin's. If you're not out there trying to drag a knee through every corner I don't think you'll be wanting for grip going with a Sport Touring tire. 

But you asked about the Sport Attack 3's - here's Cycle World's take. 

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/09/11/continental-sport-attack-3-sportbike-motorcycle-tire-performance-review

• Member Contributer

MackerVFRR-  I've been considering the Bridgestone T30 as well... Based on price alone I think I'll give them a go.  I hated the factory tires, which were a BT021 if I remember correctly.  Been on Michelin's ever since, but wear them out pretty fast.  I have a 1500 mile trip coming up, and I think that will finally kill the PP3's I've got mounted.

The big concern is cold temp behavior, which admittedly, the Michelin's handle well.  I ride all year in Colorado if there's no snow on the ground, and it's hard to keep tires warm.  

I see your Colorado weather sir, and I up you East Coast Canadian weather ?

If you're riding PP3's now, you'll get better cold weather traction with the T30 Evo. If inclement weather is your primary concern the PR4 seems to be generally accepted as the best poor weather tire. The way I look at it though, if the weather is poor I'm not riding that hard anyway - tires are so good these days - I never had an issue with sport tires in inclement weather, and sport touring tires are going to be better again in those situations, so you're in better hands right off the bat in those conditions vs a PP3, or Attack 3.

Aside from some OEM hoops and maybe the Shinko's of the world, it's hard to buy a bad tire these days. Racing means something to me,  so based on Bridgestone's pedigree and price it was an easy choice for me. They have also reviewed well in shootouts if that means anything. For what it's worth I have had no gripes with them,  and while we can't ride all year round here no matter how brave we are, they have done well by me pushing the edges of the season. 

i like the Michelin PR4s ....great feel ....high in confidence.....mine are getting to the point where the dual compound wear grooves are starting to appear on the front tire,,,( over 6000 miles on them )...it's a weird thing because the tires are shot before it's really visible.....but you're still getting better longevity than a single compound tire which wears down the middle....it's kinda feels like throwing money away but it's really a break even thing......i'm about ready to replace the front.....hate to not replace them in pairs ,to get the utmost out of the new tires, but my rear isn't even close to worn out.....it's a dilemma.....i want to stay with the Michelins....maybe someday the PR5 will wear more evenly

On 01/09/2016 at 1:47 PM, bayarearider said:

Can't go wrong with the t30 evo GT for feel, bite and wear (plus current $50 refund thru end of Sept.)

Agree with all of this but I'm unsure of the "GT" fitment for our application. It's certainly a heavier sportbike, but I know for one it's a hell of a lot lighter than my ST which wears GT tires....  Bayarea  - did you check with Bridgestone to see what they recommend for our application? Not that your fitment of GT tires is incorrect, just I'm wondering if the 1200 really requires the stiffer sidewall/construction of a GT tire

2 hours ago, MackerVFRR said:

Agree with all of this but I'm unsure of the "GT" fitment for our application. It's certainly a heavier sportbike, but I know for one it's a hell of a lot lighter than my ST which wears GT tires....  Bayarea  - did you check with Bridgestone to see what they recommend for our application? Not that your fitment of GT tires is incorrect, just I'm wondering if the 1200 really requires the stiffer sidewall/construction of a GT tire

At 620+ it's the heaviest bike I've had in my garage in a while. Saw the GT listed as an option on a supplier site JakeWilson and when for it. I think if anything the stiffer carcass makes for  a quicker response and road feel with the other features listed as a bonus. Without luggage or pillion I just back off on the pre-load a bit and all's well.

We'll see about end of life mileage. 7k will make it a re-order.

• Member Contributer
On 8/31/2016 at 4:16 PM, lshark said:

i like the Michelin PR4s ....great feel ....high in confidence.....mine are getting to the point where the dual compound wear grooves are starting to appear on the front tire,,,( over 6000 miles on them )...it's a weird thing because the tires are shot before it's really visible.....but you're still getting better longevity than a single compound tire which wears down the middle....it's kinda feels like throwing money away but it's really a break even thing......i'm about ready to replace the front.....hate to not replace them in pairs ,to get the utmost out of the new tires, but my rear isn't even close to worn out.....it's a dilemma.....i want to stay with the Michelins....maybe someday the PR5 will wear more evenly

See, this is interesting.  I blow out my rear tire far before the front is cooked.  I don't know if I'm just heavy-handed with the throttle or am fat... take your pick.  The PR series squares off on the front to a huge degree for me.  (Maybe new suspenders will help with weight transfer... will be interested to see).  I get frustrated with dual compound fronts here in Colorado, since the sides wear prematurely, and the bike "falls" in to the turns.  The rear is just smoked by the time the front gets "twitchy".

4 hours ago, lshark said:

Michelin recommends the standard PR4  for the VFR1200F, NOT the GT

Thanks for the heads up. 

I wonder if it's an oversight for the vendor I purchased from (J.Wilson) to list the PR4 GT and T30 evo GT as a 1200 option, among others. 

I am liking the even wear/feel of the T30 GT (currently 4K mi) over the end of life look/feel of the Reg. PR4 or PP 2ct. 

The upgraded springs and valving probably didn't hurt. 

Archived