a member here??

No way I'd put my wife (or anyone else's for that matter) at risk of severe road rash, pain, permanent desfigurement, and head injury with brain damage and cognitive impairment for a momentaneous thrill and half-arsed photo.

Shamed to think it's a VFR owner.

• Member Contributer

It's the dress that bothers me.  Risks taken for a one-off photo-op are risks, but they are negligible, IMHO.  But you cannot control the way a garment such as that will behave in "real time", so there was an unknown level of risk that it would find its way into the rear wheel/sprocket/chain and (at the very minimum) be destroyed.  Apparently, not even that actually happened (though I'm not sure we would have been told!), but that would have been my risk assessment at the decision stage.

Ciao,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36283543

Life changing injuries from a seemingly harmless decision. People just don't think!!!

Thankfully she's back home in Scotland and on the long road to recovery now but it was touch and go for a while. She has the generosity of friends, family and strangers to thank after her insurance company let her down and all for a moments carelessness. 

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, Belfry said:

I see the pretty girl and think: Rock the Gear.

I'm with you there! I remember reading this a few years back. Posted it on another forum and one of the members started to belittle her situation and actually made fun it to a certain degree. Needless to say, a majority of the members slayed that troll right quick.

That being said, being in So Cal with our sunny weather and warm temps I see a lot of riders with their girls on the back wearing their bikini's or "short shorts" with t-shirt or tube top and the rider in t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes. I not only cringe but have to try and not to think about what would happen if they were involved in an accident! As a motorcyclist I have to put a lot of responsibility on the rider, as the passenger should be your #1 priority. I never let anyone ride on the back of my bike without full coverage. My wife is one to agree and gets really upset at seeing this too.

• Member Contributer

Loose clothing is dangerous indeed

old_motorcycle_woman5_zpsecamsinr.jpg

Smooth, tight leather is sooooo much better...

tumblr_o758apGBAa1skn4dco1_400.jpg

Right?

On 8/31/2016 at 11:11 AM, JZH said:

It's the dress that bothers me.  Risks taken for a one-off photo-op are risks, but they are negligible, IMHO.  But you cannot control the way a garment such as that will behave in "real time", so there was an unknown level of risk that it would find its way into the rear wheel/sprocket/chain and (at the very minimum) be destroyed.  Apparently, not even that actually happened (though I'm not sure we would have been told!), but that would have been my risk assessment at the decision stage.

Ciao,

You do speak like a real project/risk manager ;-) Anything to do with you real life job?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, bdouvill said:

You do speak like a real project/risk manager ;-) Anything to do with you real life job?

Nah, I just like BS.  :tongue:

Ciao,

Even I sometimes do ride whit jeans in the local city (that is a quiet Little town) I always if use helmet. I know the importance of a helmet even more now as I recover from a mtb accident from 10 days back where I went over the bars a head first in the base rock. Whit out a bicycle helmet I would not walk now, if live at all....

I remember reading about the Scottish girl whose skirt became entangled in the chain. I don't know what to say to or about people like that. I've ridden a motorbike in jeans and t-shirt, just the once, and never had I felt my own fragility and mortality upon myself so distinctly. I remember watching guys on crotch-rockets riding in flip-flops and boardies in San Diego and wanted to say something, if I thought it was my place to say. I would probably say that they'd only have to fall off once and they will never ever do that again. Foresight instead of hindsight. Maybe they'd agree? Probably not.

Dutchy's photo shows a couple having fun - even if it is a staged shot - but people like to live like that. Wind in the hair 'n' all that. In a way I envy them but I couldn't do that myself...

Archived