• Cardo Pactalk
    • Scala Rider
    • Interphone
    • Uclear
    • CB radio
    • Other (specify)

• Member Contributer
On 10/4/2016 at 8:50 AM, Rambler358 said:

Well, I may not need to switch over to a Packtalk unit now.  Sena has announced their new high-end Sena 30K unit with Mesh-Networking capability.  I'm curious how it'll work with non-Sena devices though, and no word on price or release date yet.

30K-antenna.jpg

Ironically it still means that you have to buy a new comm unit. If there were firmware to change your current unit to support mesh networking, that would cool!

17 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Ironically it still means that you have to buy a new comm unit. If there were firmware to change your current unit to support mesh networking, that would cool!

Very true.  But, I can use the 30K with my handlebar remote and Prism camera.  I was seriously considering moving to the Packtalk, but now I can still keep and use my other Sena gear with the 30K.

But I guess the big question is if the different branded mesh networks will talk to on another.

14 minutes ago, Rogue_Biker said:

I think at this point we can all agree that making different brands "talk to each other" is one of the biggest challenges.  They claim their devices can.  But in reality, we've often tried that feature and failed miserably. 

I've seen the different brands work together, so it can be done.  And most of the time that I saw they didn't work together was that one or both of the devices were an older model, or the process of connecting wasn't done correctly.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

I think at this point we can all agree that making different brands "talk to each other" is one of the biggest challenges.  They claim their devices can.  But in reality, we've often tried that feature and failed miserably. 

It does work, as I mentioned in my post, knowing what you have and how it works is the ticket. 

• 2 weeks later...

What if I'm not necessarily looking for a powerful, full-featured radio, just something to communicate with my wife's head 1-18 inches away, and plays well with my iPhone? Does my second requirement dictate an expensive set?

The Sena 10s works great and they aren't too expensive now. I love the bluetooth music on the long boring ride in at the end of the day. I've even called my wife and taken care of my checkin call before arrival at the hotel. She can't even tell I'm riding.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jhenley17 said:

What if I'm not necessarily looking for a powerful, full-featured radio, just something to communicate with my wife's head 1-18 inches away, and plays well with my iPhone? Does my second requirement dictate an expensive set?

In my opinion you could get away with the least expensive set there is that supports your requirements. Like I mentioned earlier, unless you are riding in large groups and like the convenience of instant connections to those part of the group or like being able to have multiple/simultaneous BT/Comm connections, any of the offerings from any of the key players should be sufficient for your needs.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jhenley17 said:

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the 10S dual pack someone was selling here. I'll have to shop again for lower-line stuff and probably wait for a sale.

I think that the Cardo entry level comms are on sale for 15% off at the moment. At least that's what I recall seeing the other day on Revzilla.com

Archived