• Sena
    • Cardo Pactalk
    • Scala Rider
    • Interphone
    • Uclear
    • CB radio
    • Other (specify)

• Member Contributer

I had the Cardo G9x but upgraded to the Packtalk last year. Myself, Rogue and another rider we ride with frequently have them and we use DMC mode. Probably the best feature of these comm units is the parallel audio mode. With the addition of DMC intercom, we can have one other device active, usually a radar detector, while our comm is still connected. This has saved our bacon numerous times! The best part of using DMC is the seamless connection between units. It's changed our riding quite a bit, no longer need to rely on hand and/or foot signals, just say what the road hazard is. Also allows for last minute direction changes, such as unplanned pit stops or slight change in route.

I recently got through reading a couple reviews about the Packtalk, and they look quite good - especially with the automatic reconnection feature.  I've got the 20S and like it a lot, but wish it had the automatic reconnection capability of the Packtalk.  But it does have the wireless handlebar remote, which allows me to control the 20S and Sena Prism camera without taking my hands off the bars.  I also like the new Chatterbox X2 Slim FRS/GMRS headset which has the greatest talking distance.  I'm hoping Sena soon adds the automatic reconnection feature, which is probably the biggest feature for those who ride in groups. 

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

So with the Packtalk - is it possible to listen to my iPhone's music via Bluetooth, Garmin GPS directions via Bluetooth, and have DMC group communication at the same time?

Yes and no. If you link your phone to your GPS, then yes. Otherwise only one Bluetooth channel plus intercom is allowed. The latter method seems to be the way most of them work anyway, if at all, unless some of the others have changed their feature set.

36 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Yes and no. If you link your phone to your GPS, then yes. Otherwise only one Bluetooth channel plus intercom is allowed. The latter method seems to be the way most of them work anyway, if at all, unless some of the others have changed their feature set.

With my 20S I can have all 3 working - GPS instructions will briefly lower music or intercom, and then will resume music and intercom to normal level once GPS instruction has finished.  This is how I currently have it setup, but there are other configurations.  And the 20S with a recent firmware update supports dual A2DP streams.  Still, automatic intercom connection of the Packtalk may outweigh the other advantages of the 20S.

• Member Contributer
18 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

With my 20S I can have all 3 working - GPS instructions will briefly lower music or intercom, and then will resume music and intercom to normal level once GPS instruction has finished.  This is how I currently have it setup, but there are other configurations.  And the 20S with a recent firmware update supports dual A2DP streams.  Still, automatic intercom connection of the Packtalk may outweigh the other advantages of the 20S.

You can have multiple Bluetooth connections with the Cardo but not simultaneously. Unless they've updated that as well.

• Member Contributer
On August 29, 2016 at 7:14 PM, 01ragtop said:

In DMC mode, isn't the mic always hot on the packtalk?  Nobody wants to hear the things I say inside my helmet, nor would I want them too, lol. 

Funny, on our ride Sunday, both Doug and Lance had both made a remark or noise at different times but then I lost contact (out of range). When the words "Oh $hit" and/or a large gunt then silence, your mind starts wondering! Did something happen, "Doug?, Doug? Are you OK?" "That was a large grunt there, are you OK?!" Anyone?, anyone?, Bueller?, Bueller? All was good of course but yeah, sometimes what you mean to keep yourself doesn't always stay that way.

On the other hand when getting caught off guard by a decreasing radius turn, it's good to be able to announce it to those following you!

On 8/29/2016 at 10:00 AM, BrianF said:

I talk to myself in my helmet, then gesture incoherently to other riders.

I'm old school. 

Same here. I gotta talk to someone that knows what I'm doing.

Most of the time nobody knows except me. :happy:

On August 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Duc2V4 said:

You can have multiple Bluetooth connections with the Cardo but not simultaneously. Unless they've updated that as well.

So I heard Cardo came out with an update to the Packtalk a few months back called "DMC-Bridge" mode that allows the use of DMC mode with other Bluetooth headsets. Have any Packtalk users tried this yet?

Here's a YouTube video of the new feature:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rambler358 said:

So I heard Cardo came out with an update to the Packtalk a few months back called "DMC-Bridge" mode that allows the use of DMC mode with other Bluetooth headsets. Have any Packtalk users tried this yet?

Here's a YouTube video of the new feature:

Have not tried it yet. Apart from maybe one or two other riders we have ride with consistently, we've only had the Packtalk riders connect with one another. If/when we get a chance I'll probably try it out.

8 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Have not tried it yet. Apart from maybe one or two other riders we have ride with consistently, we've only had the Packtalk riders connect with one another. If/when we get a chance I'll probably try it out.

The video shows the DMC Bridge feature being used with a Sena 20S, which is what I have.  When I ride with you again I'd like to try it out.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Rambler358 said:

The video shows the DMC Bridge feature being used with a Sena 20S, which is what I have.  When I ride with you again I'd like to try it out.

One thing we found out on Sunday, using the menu system seemed to work better than trying to do the push hold buttons and guess what mode the unit is in. Not sure when I'll be riding again, my big project has now kicked in and I might be traveling soon. For sure I'll be swamped for a while. Unless they have another delay but sure, if we can ride together I'd be willing to try it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really happy with my uClear. The boomless mic works great. I've literally had it on intercom for more than 10 hours and still had 50% of the battery remaining. 

• Member Contributer

I think for single rider or maybe up to 4 riders, the standard issue comms from any of the currents makers are fine. However going above the 4 rider connectivity, the new "mesh network" technology is where it's going and from the short time I've had the Packtalk, I'm going to say it's definitely great for multiple rider connectivity. The key is learning what you have and how to use it that makes a difference with your experience IMO. 

Archived