Recommended solutions to reduce wind noise

Hello all,

I experience pretty loud wind noise when riding my '02.  At first I thought it was due to my previous, low-budget helmet, but I've recently upgraded to a better one (HJC RPHA ST, which is supposed to be on the quiet side from what I read) but the noise level seems to be similar. 

I'm 5'8'', my bike has the stock windshield, and I wear earplugs whenever I ride.  From the bug splatter pattern, it looks like the wind is hitting me right in the visor or slightly above.  Should I look for a taller windshield to deflect the wind above my head?  Or a shorter one so it goes on my chest rather than my head? Or look into a laminar lip type spoiler?  If you have experimented and have some advice, please let me know!

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I'm the same height as you and have a 6 Gen as well but I have the GIVI touring windscreen and it does seem to work better than a stock windscreen but ultimately the helmet still plays a big part in the noise level. I bought into the Schuberth claim of being the quietest modular and can say yes, it is very quiet but I still wear ear plugs. I am actually surprised more helmet manufacturers do not post their decibel ratings, maybe it's a gimmick but so far both my Schuberth modular helmets (C3 and now C3Pro) are the quietest that I've have owned. The MRA deflector from a few I have heard from say the same thing, it helps but does not eliminate the wind noise.

Not sure if this helps you or not but figured I'd chime in with my experience.

I have a Bell RS-1 helmet and a double bubble windscreen.  The double bubble helps, you can probably find a really tall touring specific windscreen to go further but in the end the windnoise will always be there.  I'm not sure a helmet is going to cut windnoise that much further.

Thanks for the replies.  I just got back from a 4-day trip and I think for me, there will be three aspects to the solution:

• Discard earplugs earlier.  These things are super cheap and available everywhere.  They seem to lose their compression/expansion properties after a while.  I leave them in a box inside my jacket so I guess it's easy to forget about them, but I should make it part of my routine to change them after 1 or 2 days or riding.
  • Try to fit some kind of "skirt" at the base of my helmet.  My helmet was noticeably less noisy when I was wearing a neck tube, now I just have to find one that would also work for warm weather.
  • Taller/different angle windshield.  I've had the bike for almost 10 years so it's embarassing that I've only paid attention to this now, but when sitting in my normal riding position, the angle of the windscreen makes a straight line with my visor.  It basically channels all the wind and the bugs directly at my face.  It only takes about 15 minutes of riding for my visor to be full of bug guts.

I need to swing by my local bike shop for a tire change this week, I'll check if they have some kind of deflector I could experiment with for my upcoming weekend trip.

• Member Contributer

There are earplugs and there are earplugs, just like any other product out there.

Most (of the good ones) have the dB reduction figures on the outside of the packet which should give you an idea of just how much noise you can expect to get cut out. I used a company that sold a selection of all their plugs so you could try each out to find the best fit and noise reduction for you (we all have different ears) and since then, I have only bought the one type.

You could try investing in a set of noise-cancelling in-ear speakers (Bose). I've not tried them so don't know how the fit to the ear would work with the helmet liner but worth considering.

HTH

• Member Contributer

Although the helmet does play a big part in the wind noise factor, which you have discovered with how just adding the skirt made a difference, not all helmets fit everyone the same so a nice quiet helmet may not be where you can easily start. I did a lot of searching on the web for "quietest helmet" and really didn't get much further than Schuberth because they were the only one to publish their dB ratings. Webbikeworld.com and a few other places did help narrow down to a little more than a few choices with reviews and their opinions on sound level of helmets but ultimately it boiled down to ear plugs to help eliminate what the helmet could not.

For this I turned to these: Mighty Plugs What I like is that you can tailor the amount of level protection or sound damping if you like, by adding or removing a little bit of the ear plug material. I found that I could take one plug (as-is) cut it in half and use the two halves, one for each ear and have a decent amount of protection without sacrificing what I could hear through my comm system. They are a little more pricey but I buy them in bulks to save money. I don't often ride with foam ones anymore but will keep a spare set or two on hand just in case.

Although this should be a given, helmets that have good to great ventilation, usually will be louder, those that are quieter will have less or poor ventilation. However, most of the wind noise will come from underneath the chin bar, so helmets that have a tighter neck roll and/or good chin curtain will offer the best wind noise reduction. I am not a aerodynamic expert by any means but this is an observation I have experienced over the years.

• Member Contributer

I have this helmet, bought it at CycleGear, Icon Airmada . It requires a size bigger to fit most heads. Absolutely the quietest helmet I have ever owned .

Image result for icon airmada

• Member Contributer
Icon Airmada Elemental paint, Graphics and Overall Quality

It's been a long time since we reviewed an Icon helmet on webBikeWorld and I'm not sure why. Icon has what must be the largest collection of motorcycle helmet graphics anywhere and they seem to release new styles monthly.

Granted, some of the designs may be a bit over-the-top, but what the heck?

You can only do so many boring black, somber solids or same-old stripes before you've done it all. And besides, with graphics this colorful, surely there's a safety factor?

The overall fit and finish on this Airmada Elemental is top-drawer, no question about it. Not only do the graphics look great, the transfer (or however they did it) is perfectly applied...and that's no easy task with something this complicated.

I'm not sure what months of sunshine will do to it, but you're not going to leave this beauty out in the UV radiator, right? It's covered with a thick clearcoat anyway, which should protect.

But as we always say, graphics are one thing; performance is another (Do we really say that?).

The moving parts on the Airmada Elemental are also high-spec with a better feel -- more solid, quality style -- than anything I can think of in this price range and probably costing twice again.

I especially like the top vent design, with one smoothly operating, solid-feel slider that opens both vents. I don't like futzing with two rockers or sliders when I'm trying to ride, not when you can easily find one and flip it back to let in the air.

The chin vent feels just as good and -- surprise! -- the helmet has two big intakes behind the chin bar and each of those have their own sliders. But wait; there's more: just for good measure, they threw in a brow vent as well.

It and the face shield round out the quality stuff and all of it works much better than you'd think for a sub-$300 helmet.

Score: I'll rate the Airmada Elemental as "Outstanding" for the graphics and the feel of the moving parts. See the Summary Table at the end of this page for a description of our rating system.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/icon-airmada-elemental/review.htm

I was looking at different windscreen reviews (GIVI, ZG, MRA Vario) and it really seems to be a crapshoot. 

Has anyone tried fitting an "universal" clamp-on extension to their stock screen ?  Something like this:

Vario X-creen Touring clamp-on extension

This, maybe along with something like that: Windjammer

...seem like attractive options at the moment.

• Member Contributer

The Windjammer is pretty good at reducing noise. But: it also can be painful if you are taking your helmet off and putting back on again multiple times/day and it greatly reduces ventilation. I know that you can enlarge the opening for your head.

I have also run into hot weather issues with it losing its "stick."

But it is quieter!

Thanks for the info, digitallyhip. 

Anyway, I just went ahead and ordered an X-creen touring clamp-on extension and a Windjammer helmet skirt.  From what I read these two items seem to give results for most people, so I'm going to give it a shot.  I'll report back when I've had a chance to try both, which could only be at the very end of the season (the windjammer ships from England and I didn't feel like paying 90$ for express delivery of a 25$ item, and the X-creen is backordered). 

• 2 weeks later...

So...I put about 600 km on the bike yesterday with the X-Creen fitted on in "dual pivot" mode, and the verdict is a resounding "Meh": big disappointment.  I tried several heights / angles and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference - it actually makes matters worse when it is extended the highest (it seems to create a "tunnel" in the gap between the bike's windshield and the extension, resulting in more turbulence).  Best results were obtained when the extension was kept low and close to the stock screen and only used at a steeper angle to "break" the flow, but even then it is deafeningly loud at highway speed.  It does result in fewer bugs ending their lives on my visor, however.  The only big difference is when I'm leaning on the tank: Directly behind the x-creen, turbulence is reduced and the louder, "bass" component of helmet noise is eliminated...but this ain't my natural riding position, it puts an uncomfortable bend in the neck that I can only stand for a few minutes at a time.  Plus, I kinda feel ridiculous to be in a full MotoGp tuck when doing only 120 - 140 km/h on the highway! 

Anyways, I'm going to try it again but this time in "single pivot" mode, which should keep the extension closer to the edge of my stock screen, maybe results will be different then.  My windjammer should come in between now and first week of October, so I'm hoping this will have a bigger impact.  I'll look into high quality earplugs, too...maybe a -10 or -15 dB set for band rehearsals/gigs and a high-damping set for riding.  Any product suggestions are welcome, if you have any.  

If you're wondering why the sudden concern with noise level, let's say that my tinnitus has become more noticeable in the last 2 years.  I always protect my ears when I know I'm walking in "loud" situations, but helmet noise is the only thing that still feels uncomfortably loud despite the earplugs.  

...Or maybe I'm just officially getting older and need to look into less sporty / more utilitarian and/or touring-focused bikes with taller windshields.  I'll ask a friend of mine to take his V-Strom for a spin to see if it's less painful, noise wise.  If it comes to this, it will definitely break my heart to part with the VFR, but...I'll do whatever it takes to save my hearing!

Thanks for bearing with me.

• Member Contributer

Francois, as you know, don't mess with tinnitus.  A good set of custom ear plugs, plus additional neoprene installed by the ear sockets of the helmet can really help.  Most helmets have nothing in the ear pockets.  A single layer of neoprene can really help. :-)  For windscreens, it's a tough call as what works for one won't for others.  Having said that, I'll throw a vote in for the MRS variotouring screen.  The only issue is with stock bars and at speed you don't get the air lift off the bod as you do with stock.  My best to you in your efforts.

Dave

Have you tried the Bose Active Noise Cancelling earbuds? You want quiet, they do quiet. In fact I took them out after short test ride because it was scary quiet. I have a Sena Bluetooth with speakers in the helmet right now and it is tough to hear at 70 plus mph. Any thoughts on earbuds?

I just got a new shark spartan carbon fibre helmet.

Very, very light, very, very quiet, no buffeting (and this is on my mt09)

This and earplugs is brilliant. top end helmet, mid range price. Cheaper to buy one in the UK and ship it to aus than to buy a speed r2 on sale (the spartan wont be in Aus until november or so).

• Member Contributer
On 8/27/2016 at 10:39 PM, WalkThisWhey said:

I have a Bell RS-1 helmet and a double bubble windscreen. 

Sounds familiar! I have the same. :cool:

For those who use the Mighty Plugs, how do they work with comms? I have a Sena headset connected to my Zumo and was wondering if I can still hear that with the Mightys. I've been using the disposable for some time now, but I like the idea (and price) of the Mightys.

• Member Contributer
50 minutes ago, bryan217 said:

Sounds familiar! I have the same. :cool:

For those who use the Mighty Plugs, how do they work with comms? I have a Sena headset connected to my Zumo and was wondering if I can still hear that with the Mightys. I've been using the disposable for some time now, but I like the idea (and price) of the Mightys.

They work just fine for me. As I mentioned in my original post, you can use as much or as little as you want of the material and create you own level of sound damping. I use one "puck" and cut it in half and use each half for one ear. I found that the comfort level is what makes them more appealing to me. Essentially what I have found, the plugs will help filter the wind/road noise but still allow sound from the speakers to come through, I do however have the speakers at the loudest level when at highway speeds. I think this goes for most systems, as this is where the highest level of wind/road noise will be present.

• Member Contributer

The Givi Sport Touring screen pictured worked wonders for me and was incredibly helpful on extended rides. Rain, bugs, and wind all seemed much better and installation is a snap. I'm right at 6'-0" tall.   Long Haul Ready

23 hours ago, Hosspower said:

Have you tried the Bose Active Noise Cancelling earbuds? You want quiet, they do quiet. In fact I took them out after short test ride because it was scary quiet. I have a Sena Bluetooth with speakers in the helmet right now and it is tough to hear at 70 plus mph. Any thoughts on earbuds?

I have not...would they attenuate more than the 20-30 dB that good earplugs can achieve?

11 hours ago, The mailman said:

The Givi Sport Touring screen pictured worked wonders for me and was incredibly helpful on extended rides. Rain, bugs, and wind all seemed much better and installation is a snap. I'm right at 6'-0" tall.   Long Haul Ready

Just curious: With this screen and at your height, where does the airflow hit you?  Nice bike BTW.

On 2016-09-12 at 8:14 PM, dgordon said:

Francois, as you know, don't mess with tinnitus.  A good set of custom ear plugs, plus additional neoprene installed by the ear sockets of the helmet can really help.  Most helmets have nothing in the ear pockets.  A single layer of neoprene can really help. :-)  For windscreens, it's a tough call as what works for one won't for others.  Having said that, I'll throw a vote in for the MRS variotouring screen.  The only issue is with stock bars and at speed you don't get the air lift off the bod as you do with stock.  My best to you in your efforts.

Dave

Oh I know tinnitus is serious business.  To be honest, I feel fortunate that it's only starting to hit me now (I'll be 40 much sooner than I'd like) and that it's still at a very mild level all things considered.  Spent many years in my youth playing loud music in garages and basements, sometimes with concrete floors bouncing all the noise around, and more often than not standing right next to the drummer's kit with the cymbals ringing right next to me.  Then I worked in industrial environments where noise was usually present (always wore protection, but still, risk increases with exposure), and then there's motorcycling.  I still play in bands but nowhere near as loud as when I was younger - and we all take care of our hearing as much as possible.

I took delivery of my windjammer today: It arrived way sooner than the shipper's estimate.  I fit it on my helmet after work but I must say I'm somewhat skeptical at this point.  My helmet size is S and the windjammer doesn't seem to make putting my helmet on dramatically more difficult than before.  The neoprene skirt does extend further under my chin and around my neck but the "seal" is not as tight as I thought it would be.  If weather allows I'll take the bike out for a spin and give it a try.  I've also re-installed my MRA X-creen now in single pivot mode, the gap between the windshield and the extension is much smaller than before so I'm hoping to see (or rather hear) a difference. 

I don't know about the technical specs on the Bose. I do know they are amazing. I got them because our dog snores really loud and now I can sleep. If I were you I would pickup a set from best buy, you can return them if they don't perform as desired.

If you want, I will try them again this weekend at speed and report back.

23 minutes ago, Hosspower said:

If you want, I will try them again this weekend at speed and report back.

Do it for the greater good. :cool:

Archived