Tire Observations (8th Gen)

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

These are my observations at near 10,000 miles with an 8th Gen. As always your mileage will vary.

Rider: 185#, 10 or so trackdays under my belt (none on the VFR). I chant Keith Code's mantra all day.

Terrain: I live in a flat valley, so there's usually a bit of flat land between me and good curves therefore have a tendency to wear out the centers on tires.

D222:

The stock rubber the Interceptor comes with.

I did many long freeway runs with these tires, sometimes with a passenger. The centers were down to the wear bars at 4000 miles, the sides still had a lot of tread. These are probably the worst tires I've ridden with (on par with the OEM tires for the 2009 Ninja 250r and the 2012 CBR250). The profile is good, but they never get grippy. I adjusted the pressure up and down like I would at the track, but when they warm up they never really grip. Hitting VTEC in the corners would make the rear end kick out. In the rain the traction control would come on during gentle acceleration from the stop lights. When the centers hit the wear bars I was excited to get rid of them.

Avon AV79/80 (3D Ultrasport)

I got these on super sale for a killer deal when I had a CBR600RR but never mounted them. I'd never heard much of Avon so it was a gamble. I mounted these on the Interceptor. Tires were good and grippy within one heat cycle and 30 miles. 32f/38r tire pressure worked really well for single rider no cargo (34/46 with passenger and or cargo). I never reached the limit of traction on clean pavement with these, grippy all the way to the edge. The last 1/8th of an inch of the tire is a steep profile that I rarely get to on the street. In the wet they were confident feeling, but on the throttle in corners they would budge a little bit. I never rode hard enough in the wet to break them free. Unfortunately I spent a lot of time on the freeway riding to places with good curves so I burned the center out on the rear in 4500 miles, with still a lot on the sides left.

Pilot Power 2CT

I'm breaking the rules here by mounting a Michelin Rear with a halfway used Avon front. The PP had been sitting in my garage with the Avons since my last full track season. Wear in period is practically non existent with the Pilot Power and they feel grippy as soon as they warm up. I'm one weekend into the PP and I've worn it all the way to the edge. I love the profile on the PP (I ran a set on my CBR600RR on the street and track), very consistent feeling all the way to the edge (unlike the Dunlop Q2/3 which feels to me like a sudden drop when you get to the last inch of the tire). No loss of traction under heavy throttle. No wear info or wet weather info on this yet. I'm running the PP2CT at 38psi rear. Heat up time (its summer here and hot) is quick.

Archived