Rogue_Biker

Heard back from Jamie and he confirmed what you guys already knew. I needed to cut the spacers. Adjusted them by 55mm and it went back together in no time. I took it for a spin but it's raining and I didn't want to push it. I will give it a proper ride on Wednesday. Thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

And the results are?  I just did my first back roads scratch on my 98 VFR.  Not a very settling experience.  I have had so much track time that my brain is not used to so many things to look at.  Trees, gravel, cows, corners that you can't see all the way through, tractors, gravel, tons of wind, did I mention gravel?  I'm on the fence about keeping this thing as I want to do some long distance stuff.  I borrows a friends Concours1400 and that really spoiled me.  My current plan is to send my boingers to Jamie and then pay the bike the rest of the way off.  I'll rent a FJR for a weekend to see what I Think about it.  Then we will see where the cards land.  Someone may get a pretty damn nice VFR at the end of the day.  Or I will continue to have the all HRC garage..

• Member Contributer

Epyon, sounds somewhat off note to the original post.  You seem to be looking for something different from the VFR.  Track and road will definitely be different.  And frankly, if you're doing a lot of gravel and such, not sure if even a FJR will suit.  Your '98 is now 20 years old and the suspension, if original is very old and tired. That certainly won't help with the type of roads you are riding on.  Apologies to you if there is a further thread you have shared that detail on.  My best to you in seeking the best ride for YOU. :-) 

Dave

• Member Contributer

^^ +1.  I'm not sure from the post if it's about the gravel, trees, cows etc. or the VFR.  Whether it's the Connie, FJ or Viffer, that stuff's still going to be out there.   The Connie and FJ are fine long haul tools - gobs of power compared to the '98, but pack more heft.  You might be surprised with Jamie's linear rate spring / revalve upgrade on the VFR.  The bike is transformed in to a fine carving tool for the tight stuff.  But as pointed out above, it's all about finding the right tool for the way you ride.     

I tend to do a lot of varied riding. But I must admit I love gravel roads on the vfr. I've gone down logging roads which was single lane track, fire trails and wonderfully smooth graded dirt on which I was going highway speeds. Maybe the vfr just isn't what you are used to which is fine. Give it a bit longer my favourite saying is " the vfr does absolutely nothing well, it does everything average, it's well mannered and behaves in a gentlemanly way " and yes you can play with the fast boys but expect the pegs to be on the ground, dirt and you can have a stupid grin  power sliding around the corners. Why cause they are cheap and unbreakable. But of course I'm very bias cause I have one. Getting a full upgrade kit front and rear for mine at the moment, will see how that goes 

• Member Contributer

Old boy.  I have to disagree with you as I think they are the absolute best at what they are.  The best all round bike ever made.  My truth.  :cheerleader:

Dave

• Member Contributer

DMr did the suspension on my fifth gen and me experience is the same as Rogue.

The machine now steers by telepathy. Best mod I've done for handling.   

My gravel comments came from the fact that the ride I was just on had a bunch of road that were being redone, which was a surprise to us when we got there.  No off roading for me.  I'm sure that getting everything done by Jamie will be just awesome.  I have already spoken with him about it all and he is great to work with.  The thing that really eats me up about my bike is no Luggage with out adding all kinds of scaffolding, not to mention it looks goofy with luggage on.  The 6th gen (visually) give me the impression that its more Touring then Sports bike (even if only a little bit more).  I'm going to demo a local friends 6th gen this weekend for a longer ride to see what I think.  I'm ok with jumping generations if I can get luggage that is more intergraded and a wider fairing.  I don't need all the power that the big boys have, but I wouldn't say no HEH.

• Member Contributer

Epyon, the big difference with the 6th gen from what you have currently is the side bags integrate really nicely.  The steering is a touch sharper, and there's no cam gear whine.  I think the 6th gen looks more modern, sharper; and vtec is not an issue for me.  However, for what you are looking for it's a degree difference from the 5th gen you currently own.  It really depends on your luggage needs if I understand correctly  = I learned that a good top box and tank bag is best for solo.  But if you're loading up, and need the space for going duo, then a larger bike will be better.  My best to you and interesting to hear your thoughts after your test. :-) 

Dave

Alright, I've gotten acquainted with the new suspension and I'm in love. It kind of makes me wonder why I waited so damn long to do this. I know it's a little expensive but if you are on the fence I would not hesitate at all. The bike feels a lot better than before. Smoother ride and way more control. When leaned into a turn the bike holds its line like never before. No wondering or anything. I feel what the front wheel is doing a lot better than before. Oh and break dive, yeah that's been cut dramatically.

I couldn't imagine riding on the stock suspension now. It's that much of a difference. I did not raise the forks in the triple yet since I wanted an apples to apples comparison, but I might. I have heard good things about that. The new rear shock raised the rear a bit (my wife doesn't love that) but it rides better that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alrighty I was able to try that 6th gen out on Saturday.  Long and short of it is, not different enough to change (as you all said). 

There were some personality differences that I did like.  It seems to me that the 6th gen may have a heavier flywheel.  It may just be this particular bike but on the highway in 6th when you crank on it the engine vibrates from down low like a V-twin.  I LOVE twins so I really enjoyed that feeling on this bike.  He had a Sargent seat which was no good for my butt.  Do we know of the 5th gen and 6th gen Sargent seats are alike?  The previous owner swept the bars out so I was riding like superman, but he did bring the bars flush with the top of the forks.  That actually made it almost good.  I raised mine, that helped the back a lot actually.  Even the tiny amount of height increase helped.  Now I feel it more in my quads and Hamstrings.  With that said I do Crossfit 3 times a week so my legs are almost always tired haha.  If I was trying to decide which one to buy not having one already then I'd potentially go with the 6th gen (the VTEC is actually kinda nice).  I'll have to see when bonus time comes around how I do and what ST1300's are priced like.  If I can have a 98 VFR, an ST1300 and a 2000 RC51 I think I'll have a lovely collection.

Oh, and holy crap my suspension is SOoooo bad compared to his.  I know it needs to be refreshed but WOW what a difference.

• Member Contributer
.  If I can have a 98 VFR, an ST1300 and a 2000 RC51 I think I'll have a lovely collection.

Hard to argue with that thought; here is my fleet.

82e8552ea35979cefe2c4536df1d46b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is a fine collection!  I have wanted to try a Firestorm but they are petty hard to come by.  I love my SP1 to death, its such a fantastic track bike.

• Member Contributer
Now that is a fine collection!  I have wanted to try a Firestorm but they are petty hard to come by.  I love my SP1 to death, its such a fantastic track bike.

They were all so cheap, I couldn't afford NOT buy them.

The VTR is my preferred fun bike but not a great choice for the long haul. The ST is everything the VTR is not; still very enjoyable and comfy, and with some suspension mods it is quite a decent handler as long as you don't try and ride too fast.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Terry said:

Hard to argue with that thought; here is my fleet.

82e8552ea35979cefe2c4536df1d46b1.jpg

Some may argue the ST1100 is better than the 1300...

I would be one of those people. Selling my 1100 was a mistake.

• Member Contributer

Some may argue the ST1100 is better than the 1300...

I would be one of those people. Selling my 1100 was a mistake.

Glad to hear that. I bought the ST as a project, a non runner that had been parked up for 10 yrs, and had never ridden one, or the 1300. Took a little while to adapt my riding style and expectations to the ST, but it's the bike I've done the most riding on since I got it running.

I'm still working on getting the forks right but it is very sure footed and stable, and point to point I doubt I'm much slower than on the VFR. Getting 400km out of a tank is a bonus too, and I'm planning on doing some real touring over the summer break.

The dealership I bought my VFR from has a ST1300 now too.  So Saturday afternoon I'm headed up to see how it is!  I doubt that it would be the bike to take the touring and VFR spots of my garage though.  I'm looking forward to trying it though!!!

Archived