Silly question

Blake

I noticed that my 2014 pearl white has Amber running lights in the rear view mirrors. I've seen them with white light also. Why are they not all the same? 

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

Never seen those before, white are standard in UK as amber lights are specifically for turn signals only so those would be illegal here.

Wot e ses. :beer:

• Member Contributer

US legislation I'm afraid.  Thought you guys would have been up on that one as all your indicators are on as sidelights when running. 

Actually, on the 8th gen, those are led "running lights" that are separate from the turn indicators.  The larger portion of the lens that isn't illuminated is the turn signal (which is not LED...WTF Honda?).

On the 6th gen, your statement is accurate...front running light and turn signal are one in the same.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

Actually, on the 8th gen, those are led "running lights" that are separate from the turn indicators.  The larger portion of the lens that isn't illuminated is the turn signal (which is not LED...WTF Honda?).

Same indicators as the 7th Gen.

• Member Contributer

Kudos to Alan553, fatshoutybloke, fink and DriverDave.  All pretty much on the money.

Considering that bikes in the USA are required to have the headlights permanently on, white running/marker lamps would be a bit silly even if you think they look cool.  International homoligation remarks aside, where the US tends to be all talk and no action anyway, the idea is that in the absence of headlights, amber vs red helps motorists figure out if you're coming or going.

If you want to send your head spinning have a look at FMVSS 108.

And bear in mind that when the NYPD is a bit short on their ticket revenue, they like to stop and ticket folks who thought it would be really cool to replace the lighting hardware on their cars and bikes with non-DOT aftermarket goodies.  The douchebaggery here is reaching epic proportions.  One rider here was stopped earlier this month on his stock 2003 Victory V92 and ticketed because the license plate lamp faced up to the plate from the taillight assembly instead of down, and because it was integral to the tail lamp fixture.  Neither of which is not illegal (in fact NYS law requires it to be integral, which is an illegal law since it conflicts with DOT regulations which permit it to be separate) but you still have to waste time fighting it.  Then hopefully, as a citizen cognisant of his or her civic duty to rid this city of its many bad cops, waste more time discussing the matter with the folks in IAB.  :mad:

Archived