Yokel's VFR1200 re-fresh

Yokel

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_23869_7186_2146878.jpg

Well, I'm coming up on my five year anniversary.  

Over the summer, I've toyed with the idea of selling the VFR1200 and picking up a Ducati Multistrada.  I listed the old girl online, and had a few tire kickers call on it.  Nobody was serious for the money I wanted for it, so I guess it's a keeper!  This bike has some sentimental value in addition to being the nicest machine I've ever owned, so I'm not upset at all to be keeping it.

However, it is starting to show it's age.  There have been some parking lot scrapes, and the paint isn't perfect... but hey, I bought it to ride, not to sit in a museum.  I've literally taken it all over different parts of the country.  It's been treated like a pickup truck, Beverly Hillbillies style.

There are a few things that I've been putting off, seeing if I would pull the trigger on a new machine.  It needs some ergo fixes, the seat is getting pretty rough and the suspension feels like a wet fart sealed in a ziploc.  In other words, it's time to pay the price for putting off a few things.

A beer on the tank is a good indicator of work beginning.

medium.IMG_20160819_153940606.jpg.7fc934

medium.IMG_20160819_164220641.jpg.337296

The good news is, I've kept up with the bike mechanically, so the engine and driveline is stellar.  Good as new, I'd say.  

I spent the weekend cleaning and scrubbing, waxing out some paint imperfections, and wow!  What a difference!  I lubed up a few little bits like the centerstand and kickstand, put some fresh grease on some of the rolling bits, and  she's already appreciating the effort.  Next weekend, I'll blow apart the calipers and give them a good cleaning.

For those that know me, I've never cleaned the wheels on this bike.  It's a thing.  Well, I spent 5 HOURS yesterday cleaning them up, and it looks like the dirt and grime did it's job of protecting the paint finish.  They looked like they had been dipped in powdered horse-sh!t and sealed with tar.  What a difference!

medium.IMG_20160820_161920460.jpg.de99e5

medium.IMG_20160820_180238561.jpg.16bb28

Who knew there was paint under all that crap!?

So, that leads us to the list of things to get done.  I have a buddy coming out to Colorado for a weekend of motorcycle festivities the end of next month, since I'm not able to make the Arkansas ride this year.  

1) New Seat.

I've never really had too many complaints with the factory saddle.  It works for me.  But, it's aging, and the vinyl is failing.

medium.IMG_20160819_163928164.jpg.3e2b6d

I've gotten in touch with a custom seat maker here in Colorado by the name of Steve Gowing.  He really takes his time to get them right, and I'll be doing a ride-in ride-out on Tuesday this week.  Naturally, I'll take some shots of the process to fill you all in on what he does, as well as my feelings on the work quality and fit.  I met with him a few weeks ago for a preliminary appointment, and he's a bit fan of shaping the seat properly, which sounded good to me.  He's going to fill in some areas with high-density foam (no gel here, thanks.) and change the riding position slightly for me.  Stay tuned.  He does fantastic work.  Here are a few seats he's completed for a Ducati and Beemer.

medium.IMG_20160810_161930921.jpg.362a46

medium.IMG_20160810_161955979.jpg.3599c0

You can clearly see the re-shaping done on the Beemer seat.  Here's another one he was doing some shaping on when I stopped in, so you can see the insides and how he sculpts them for ass-inine amounts of happiness.  (See what I did there?)

medium.IMG_20160810_162134892.jpg.518c5c

He uses some pretty high-quality stuff too...  I'm going Vinyl instead of leather.  I'm keen to see how it turns out.

2) Bars.  

I've got a crappy back, so I've ordered the Spiegler Bar Conversion.  I am curious to see if it will work with my "Gunn Ram Mount".  I'll advise once I try installation after parts arrive.

medium.IMG_20160819_154521484.jpg.b08cb8

3) Suspension.

I've been shopping for a suspension for 2 years, and I've finally pulled the trigger on some upgrades.  I won't say it is the whole package, because I may wind up re-valving the front.  I've been on the phone a lot the last few weeks with the guys at Penske, and visited the crew chief for an AMA Superbike team that's based up in Loveland to get some pro tips on suspension setup and I've ordered a Penske 8983 and some fork springs.  I'll lose the remote pre-load (which is effing seized anyway).  The spring rates are fairly hefty, but so am I!  

I'm going 1.2KG/MM up front, and swapping from 5wt fork oil to 7.5wt.  Out back, we're going stock +12mm length, double adjustable shock (rebound and compression) with a 1400# spring.

Penske is building the shock, so no photos yet.  Curious how the spring rates work, and whether or not I decide to re-valve up front.

Over the winter, I'll be doing a few other things.  I think I'll send out the ECU to Guhl, going to put on heated grips, add a power point, volt meter, and some other toys.  All my installations will be put on this post, in the hopes that others looking to do similar work can learn from my colossal screw-ups.

Cheers!

-Jon

i had my 2012's forks resprung and revalved by DMr ....amazing difference.....DMr selected a 1.1 spring for me...i'm 250 lbs...that's the same as the Ohlins front spring that i had in my 2010 ..so i can say that a revalve makes a BIG difference....the front forks are perfect now....simply amazing..sporty firm but very smooth....i have an Ohlins in the rear ...took the 2012 to a local suspension shop to do the sag settings and dampening tuning....that made all the difference in the world...i put $2000 into my suspension...the last $70 at the tuning shop made it all worth it......go for the valve job and get it tuned !!!!   DMr got the spring rate exactly right....only had to add 1 turn to get my front sag right on and a touch of rebound....the Ohlins out of the box had the right spring installed but needed quite a bit of preload adjustment to get my sag specs.....don't assume that you can bolt on fancy parts and ride away.....the suspension tuning took 15 minutes ....changed the whole bike....it handles great now

with the suspension tune and Guhl reflash, it WILL be like having a new bike.....seriously !!!!!   night and day

my 2012 handles way better than my 2010 ever did, and the 2010 had an Ohlins rear shock and front springs..but never properly set up...there is a road up in the State park that i stopped riding on my first 1200 because it was a handful to negotiate ,..very tight, sharp turns and a little bumpy.....the 2010 just felt too big for that road.....decided to take it a couple weeks ago on the 2012 and the bike ate it up...i almost got a speeding ticket on it !!!!

• Member Contributer

Though not cheap, money invested in better suspension is money well spent on the 1200. 

Mine now feels more like my 800 (which has upgraded suspension), doesn't run wide exiting corners and steers really precisely.

Looking forward to the updates! :beer:

Nice updates! Sad to tell you that your Ram mount will not work with the Spiegler kit. I had the same mount. I swapped to a bar mount now with an adjustable arm to move it to the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, MotardMenace said:

Nice updates! Sad to tell you that your Ram mount will not work with the Spiegler kit. I had the same mount. I swapped to a bar mount now with an adjustable arm to move it to the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap.  I was afraid of this.

• Member Contributer

So, I'm in Ft. Collins, Colorado tonight in anticipation of my early morning appointment to have my seat done.  I pull in to the hotel and see a pair of FILTHY BMW's. A K1600GTL and a R1200T.  Turns out to be a really nice couple from New Jersey passing through on their way back home from Alaska.  Quite a trip they've been on!  They really liked the look of the VFR, and we spent some time visiting and having a laugh.

What a great community we motorcyclists make.

• Member Contributer

Well, this morning I'm at Steve Gowing's shop getting my seat worked over.  I would say fixed... but watching this guy work, there is a lot more to it.  

I arrived a bit early, and Steve was already waiting on me.  We spent a few minutes discussing what I would like changed in my seat, and this is what I'm looking for:

1) I want to sit a bit further back in the seat.  I notice that I slide forward a bit, and would prefer to be a bit further back.  Steve is going to level the riding position, and cup out a bit of the seat to keep my butt in place.

2) I want to still be able to move freely side to side.

3) I want to be a bit higher up... not much, but there you have it.

Those were my main goals, and Steve is recommending filling in a bit here and there to offer a more ergonomic feel for my hind-end.  He's the pro, so I'm letting him run along with what in his experience will be a good match for what I'm wanting.

Here are some pictures of the current situation, and the damage the seat has now.

medium.IMG_20160823_065613195.jpg.36b40c

You notice with the bike sitting level, that the seat is canted forward just slightly.  We are getting rid of that.  The vinyl is brittle, and adhered directly to the foam, which is causing a few headaches this morning.  Damage is obvious here...

medium.IMG_20160823_064532571.jpg.a0d4dc

There is also some tearing away at the front of the seat.

Step one was to pull the old vinyl off, without taking much of the factory foam.  That was a tough job since it is adhered to the layers underneath.

medium.IMG_20160823_071159015.jpg.106e72

medium.IMG_20160823_071317662_TOP.jpg.f7

After all the vinyl was removed, there was a fair bit of pull-away of the foam, which Steve warned me we would have to deal with, but all told, looks pretty good!

medium.IMG_20160823_074506525.jpg.d63393

He has to take some time now to repair and begin the rough shaping of the foam.  He uses a carving knife and some sanders to get things the way he wants, then fills in a few portions we discussed to change the shape even more.  I'm quite surprised how much he's able to do with foam, to be quite honest.

medium.IMG_20160823_075553395.jpg.d89928

medium.IMG_20160823_075620312.jpg.f1dc89

medium.IMG_20160823_081156503.jpg.5cf33f

medium.IMG_20160823_091347948.jpg.30a5ea

The repair portions on this particular seat are fairly significant from the damage, and we decided to "flesh out" a few parts of the seat a bit as well.

More photos as work progresses!

• Member Contributer

As a side note:  It says a lot for this guys patience to let me hang out and watch him work.  I'm sure I'm annoying him, but he doesn't seem to mind.  Maybe I should try harder.:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Well, Steve busted his butt yesterday (no pun intended), and there is still a bit of work to go.  We did 3-4 test fits to make sure the new position is what I'm looking for, and he did more adding/removing of foam to help get the best position.

medium.IMG_20160823_103011278.jpg.628bb4

medium.IMG_20160823_145253019.jpg.85435d

Finally ready for a cover!  I'm going with 2 types of vinyl, with red stitching for an accent.

medium.IMG_20160823_154041537.jpg.a19159

• Member Contributer

All finished!

medium.IMG_20160824_084053546.jpg.da89da

medium.IMG_20160824_084436085.jpg.f50434

medium.IMG_20160824_084452846.jpg.a9cec0

In my opinion, and every ass is different, this was money well spent.  The feel is totally different.  More supportive for sure, but will take some time to break it in properly.  What a difference better materials make.  Steve threw in some red Top Stitching, I think it looks great.

large.IMG_20160824_083930498.jpg.fededd9

That's one thing down.  Now to wait on the Bars and Springs/Shock...

• Member Contributer

Santa showed up in his big brown truck!

medium.IMG_20160824_185554879.jpg.80c01a

The LSL Bar conversion.  Took a few photos, but I don't have good lighting in the garage.  Suffice to say, taking things apart isn't that hard.

medium.IMG_20160824_193848472.jpg.3475ec

medium.IMG_20160824_200114815.jpg.d46f28

I did have to remove my Fred Gunn Ram Mount.  A sad day... 

Install will continue tomorrow, as I am whipped!  It's been a long day between the seat guy and work.

• Member Contributer

Almost forgot... this happened yesterday.  First major milestone, and trouble free.  Regular maintenance and she's still running like a champ!  :cheerleader:

medium.IMG_20160823_063308491.jpg.6aed1c

• Member Contributer

Installation of the LSL bars went well... there were a few head scratch moments when I had to cut off the locator pins on the banjo fittings for the brake and clutch, and relocate the lines for ease of movement.  Also, putting the locator holes in the correct spot was a bit of a trick.  I'm about 1/16 off on the left bar... but it's good enough!

Here's the head-on bar position before and after.  Pretty dramatic, feels great!

medium.IMG_20160819_164009949.jpg.cdac21

medium.IMG_20160825_171516170.jpg.70f5f3

medium.IMG_20160825_171101824.jpg.8e1bb5

large.IMG_20160825_171146756.jpg.d3476b9

Fork Springs and Shock arrive tomorrow...

• Member Contributer

Another word about the LSL kit for those looking in to it.  This IS something you can do, even if you don't have a great deal of mechanical aptitude.  Just be patient.

The kit itself is top notch.  Excellent quality of work.  I found a significant amount of adjustability in the new setup, and man alive does it take some pressure off my hands, and the new position perfected the seat position as well, just as I had hoped.  Two perfect changes.  

As I mentioned above, I have a weak back (and a gut, to boot), so this is hopefully a mod that will allow a few more miles in the saddle and help push the big girl through the turns a bit easier.

Archived