Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

• Member Contributer
On 8/22/2016 at 5:54 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Some of the parts on the rear wheel diagram are shown as not available. Even if they were it looks like several hundred dollars of parts. Bought new. Fak.  :comp13:

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/lookup#/Honda/VFR800FIAC_(98)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH2RC461-WM000001/REAR_WHEEL/VFR800FI-98-JPN-AC/2Y14MBGWE1AMBG4F1600AA

I believe this is the shift lever cover referenced above (used - $20)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Honda-VFR-800-Small-Shifter-Cover-Part-/361513652699?hash=item542be491db:g:Tg0AAOSwUuhXcFsE

Front sprocket cover if that's needed  (used $35)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-01-Honda-VFR-800-F1-Left-Side-Engine-Sprocket-Cover-Part-/381573506367?hash=item58d78da53f:g:15YAAOxykMpTHTOn

Hub - $25 (used - shipped)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Honda-VFR-vfr800fi-800-fi-Rear-Drive-Hub-/201315622381?hash=item2edf589ded:g:82QAAOxyoeBSATje&vxp=mtr

Other bits and pieces (cush's, bolts, nut, etc.) might be ordered from Partzilla, ProCaliber or similar and get the whole job done for a reasonable sum.  Sometimes when something like this happens I set it aside for a while so I can cool off and reflect on it before making a decision.  I hope you get it running again.  Best of luck with it. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 8/22/2016 at 2:27 PM, Mohawk said:

That was your problem you used the WRONG technique !

You are supposed to find the TIGHTEST part of the chain then adjust with that part on the lower run clearance, that guarantees that ALL of the chain will never be tighter than the tightest part. By adjusting to the loosest part you will either lock up or overload the bearings in the drive shaft or sprocket/cush, more so during suspension compression.

Kudos for Mohawk for catching my mistake. Yep. I said that backward  but did it correctly. the problem and the point was that my chain had more than a couple tight links and it and the rear sprocket were worn beyond safe service life.  My problem was a stretched out chain and rear sprocket teeth that were J'd out and they no longer meshed. Thanks for correctly pointing out proper technique. More important is to not over use a chain and sprocket set and double check your adjustment before riding. 

Lee pointed out to me his chain was still reasonably serviceable. So who knows. If the thing just felt like it jumped out of gear it had to be a very quick departure.

Lee, I for one would not blame you one bit if you decided to sell it off and maybe one of your Tuono's  and bought an 8 gen. Hell I may just join you after I sell my RC51. I think they are brilliant bikes and I do miss owning a VFR already. Super glad you didn't crash too brother from another mother. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Couple close ups of what's left at the rear wheel. Maybe will shed some light on it.

Are there bolts sheared off here? :unsure:

101_3229.JPG

101_3228.JPG

That's the inner part of the sprocket carrier.   It actually looks like it's just a bit scratched.  Here's some pics of my recently powder coated outer:

20160824_164432x.jpg

20160824_164617x.jpg

You can easily get the missing parts on eBay.  It's the front sprocket area that worries me...

Ciao,

Thanks for the links and pics. Very helpful.

I'm sure the axle threads are chewed up to some extent.

More to inspect. I'll have to get to it on the weekend.

Picked out some of the worst grunge. Got the chain guard off. Pulled out another piece of the broken inner cover with my fingers. Looks like the gasket was green. The thing appears wider than I thought. I guess the sprocket needs to come off to see more. The stand on the brake to prevent the sprocket turning while you remove bolt is obviously not working. Hmm...

101_3255.JPG

101_3254.JPG

• Member Contributer

Put it in first gear and try to make a quick pull of the wrench/socket. Obviously don't have the ignition on whe doing this!

• Member Contributer

a large crow bar or pry bar jammed into the teeth while pinned to the bottom of the swing and and the ground below may get it to hold while you torque it loose. 

• Member Contributer

DO NOT round off that bolt head!  Use a quality short socket and a long breaker bar.  You should be able to stick it in first gear, sit on the bike, put on the brakes and push the bar down with your foot.  With a long enough lever (and a place to stand, of course), you can move the world!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Rear brake or brace against the spokes won't work here if the chain isn't attached to the rear wheel...

First gear with an impact wrench or long breaker bar is the best bet.

• Member Contributer

You can also try and put a screwdriver through the chain links, basically make a closed loop and jam the screw driver against the foot peg. In all honesty, the number of post here telling you what you can do is actually taking longer than it should take you to do it! 

The key here is that you did Not Go Down!!!! :unsure:

This could have gotten real ugly real quick. 

Glad you have no issue coming to a stop. The bike is fixable, the cause is ???

BR

Leprechaun unscrewed the axle nut while I was riding? :unsure:

Last I saw it was staked like it should be, maybe 15,000 miles since the last chain and sprocket change.

It can be fixed. Whether it is economically feasible is another question which I am still looking at re: the engine case. :sleep:

I'll have another go at the sprocket soon, when it's cooler.

Normally I would not take this apart, I'd worry about breaking it or not being able to put it back together.

This time it's already broke, so nada to lose.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR4Lee said:

I'm stalling cuz I don't want to deal with it, and it's 102 degrees out now. :comp13:

Don't get me wrong I wasn't making fun of you for not doing the work yet, just the time it took for the number of post that have been made on how and what to do.

• Member Contributer

I have an idea. The weekend of the 10th and 11th I should be free to come have a look and help some. Lets take a ride up Little T to the Rock Inn for breakfast then head back to your garage and see what's AFU on your VFR.

On 8/30/2016 at 4:17 PM, Duc2V4 said:

put a screwdriver through the chain links, basically make a closed loop 

I  put a bolt through to prevent the chain turning. The chain lifts off the sprocket and the sprocket turns. No go.

Have not been able to find something to jam in there and prevent it turning. The sprocket wants to push it out.

Thought maybe I could take off the footpeg holder to get more room. Put a big effing pipe wrench on it.

It has a bolt larger than 19mm but smaller than 24mm. Those are the closest sockets I have. :wacko:

Thinking to change my policy.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it is broke, get it out of here now. :sleep:

Archived