Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Stand squat kneel squat stand repeat. You try it 200 or 300 times.

Exactly why I bought the HFT lift. One of the best $300 I ever spent. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MBrane said:

Exactly why I bought the HFT lift. One of the best $300 I ever spent. 

An absolute must have for a pro, and probably for a non pro frequent wrench turner as well I'm sure.

I was having that thought. At least I had knee pads.

11 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Lee, before you take it out for a test ride, do make sure you stake that nut!!

LoL

Already done. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Glad to see you got the bike all back together Lee.  I'm sure everything will be great and you still have your trusty steed.  I sold my 97 VFR just before my son was born, thinking that I just wasn't gonna get a lot of riding done, and the thought of the bike sitting in the garage unused would have driven me crazy.  As it turned out, once the bike was gone, I had a SEVERE case of separation anxiety.  I bought my current bike, a 2000 VFR, without blinking an eye, and before I even mentioned that I wanted another bike to my wife.  When I brought it home, I was half expecting to hear the, "You bought a bike without telling me........" speech, not so much for buying a bike but for spending a large amount of cash without mentioning anything.   Instead I got the, "Oh, Thank GAWD, I was hoping you'd come to your senses one day and realize you shouldn't have sold the last VFR."  LOL

Don't know where I would be if I didn't have my trusty steed to pass the time in the garage during the cold Canadian winters.  Have fun Lee and enjoy the new-ish ride.

2 hours ago, zoomzoom said:

Have fun Lee and enjoy the new-ish ride.

I intend to although a 19 year old bike is hardly newish.

Should have re looked at your pics of which bolts goes where, but got it figured out.

Might have to do some paying type work over the weekend.

Had a job pop up from a good paying client with an extra 40% for a rush fee a bit ago.

Being self employed and wanting to stave off dental bills, I leaped on it.

Dentists are expensive, but look into periodontal. Arrgh.

Implants, holy mother of my dental insurance sucks! :wacko:

Congrats VFR4Lee-- went over the thread again and happy everything worked out for ya---- need that axle nut socket but did go over my sprocket nuts with my (thanks D) torque wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

making a list for tomorrow.

Writing it twice.

Gotta prioritize, ya know.

Question. Do I need to flare the rivets on the new master link?

The guy helping me last week said no, press fit and that's it.

But I can't help wondering. :unsure:100_9938.thumb.JPG.b8c3cf2d94a1724fd1f886e9b107a248.JPG

Mmm well doh!   I'd like to believe it was done with the correct tool,  it has the ability to do just that,  one of the steps that's pretty important.

We used this tool which VFR CaptBob loaned me.

Not sure how to accomplish the flaring. I assume this tool can do it.

But I have no instructions for it, and there is no name on it.

Worked great for removing the pins.

I'm thinking use the flat thing to block the hole and the pin to mash it a little.

The vidoe I saw, their flare tool had a little nipple on the end that pushed on the rivet.100_9937.thumb.JPG.e4dc7545e337d546ed99ff003b36a88b.JPG

The master link that's made to be flared with this tool has a dimple in the center and thin walls that CAN flare. This link shown is solid steel and made to be flared in a press hydraulically. That tool will break before it even budges those pins.

links.jpg

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Hmm... :dry:

You can always buy a new masterlink that can be staked but the chain tool. Just match the chain type and pitch. I.e. X-Ring 530 or whatever chain type you have.

Hope to not go there. E mailed place I got the link. Maybe Bob will chime in about his tool. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Was it a clip link?  I've never heard of any chain manufacturer selling a master link that cannot be either flared or clipped.  I mean, how are you going to get that chain onto a press?  (Yes, on a 5th gen you could do it, but most bikes, no way without removing the swing arm.)

Ciao,

Not a clip link, a rivet link. Motochains reply does not answer if the tool I have will work, I sent them the pics, but their link seems to imply it will.

Hi
Once the sideplate is on, the next step is to flare the ends of the pins so the plate cant come back off. The flare should be *about* 12 to 15 thousandths of an inch larger than the the pin diameter is. Thats what the hollows / dimples in the end of the pin is for, so it can mushroom over.

Best Regards
Jay

Hi Lee

The pins are hardened steel, just like the other pins in the chain. That is the point of the dimple at the end of the pin. The tool to rivet is a strong tool, much stronger than a chain ‘breaker’ tool that just needs to push pins out. The one in your pic doesnt look like a weak tool and appears to have bits to crimp the ends – hold the chain and pins in place. A weak tool will break using the pressure required to rivet.

weak tool below

It would seem I am good to go, just adjust so the tools pin is as short as possible.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Not a clip link, a rivet link. Motochains reply does not answer if the tool I have will work, I sent them the pics, but their link seems to imply it will.

Er, yeah, but the pins you have don't have hollows/dimples!  At least, not as I know them.  The link should look like the top one in rc51jim's pic.  Do a Google search for "EK rivet link" and look at the pics.  EK appear to do a weird threaded master link as well, but the standard rivet link should have very obvious dimples--yours doesn't.

Ciao,

Question. Do I need to flare the rivets on the new master link?
The guy helping me last week said no, press fit and that's it.
But I can't help wondering. :unsure:100_9938.thumb.JPG.b8c3cf2d94a1724fd1f886e9b107a248.JPG

But... are they not already flared over in that picture?

Archived