Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

• Member Contributer

Heat gun is your friend Lee. That and leverage. May have locktite and heating up the nuts may end the resistance. Wish i was there to help. 

Busy with work and house and family drama here. 

I have a heat gun and air impact. Will see if i can schedule time to stop by.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposed to be nice this weekend. Will find time for this and to ride as well.

Meanwhile it's work work work work work. :comp13:

• Member Contributer
On 1/25/2017 at 8:25 PM, VFR4Lee said:

You're confusing me. The bolt heads are countersunk but a 12mm socket fits fine. 14mm for the nuts. If they break on removal it's OK. The replacement parts have those 4 bolts and nuts included.

It was a couple years back, after SumSum2 I believe, when I did it so my memory is not real clear but I believe I tried several different 12mm sockets and it seemed to want to carve or round off the bolt head. Perhaps it needed something extra like heat or penetrating oil.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever do it again. And I may have to have a word with my service advisor.  

3 hours ago, MBrane said:

The bolt heads are really shallow so a socket with lots of chamfer would not grip well. Might have to mod one to make it bite.

There's an idea.

chop a few mm off the end of a socket so it's absolutely square. 

I blocked it so I could put some force into the wrench and not have to hold the part.

That works fine. Removing the nuts not so much. Held the heat gun on one nut for a solid 3 minutes on high, allegedly 1100+ degrees F. Nope.

My cheater pipe is too fat to work with the wrench. But I was able to push it hard enough I was worried about pushing it off the center stand.

Wrench just started trying to round off the nut. :mad:

101_4619.JPG

Went and bought the $22 air impact wrench from Harbor Fright + sockets and tax a little over $34.

Got the little bastards off. Sam Adams time.  :beer:

19 hours ago, MBrane said:

Sometimes an impact is just the ticket for stubborn fasteners.

And people. :wink:

There's an idea.
chop a few mm off the end of a socket so it's absolutely square. 

You can get perfectly square edged sockets, without the chamfer or scalloping most have for "ease of use".

Those bolt heads are low profile so yes, you need the square edged sockets, an impact socket wrench and a big heavy mallet (plus steady hands and good hand-eye coordination). That's how I did it.

10 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

I see you got air... even easier.

All this suffering for $34?

Yeah. :goofy:

Oh well. Always look on the bright side of life. Doodoo doodoo doodoo. :comp13:

Slow progress, ugh. Another pair of hands would be helpful at times. Why do we only have 2?

Instead of having problems holding parts still to remove bolts, now I have problems torqueing them.

About ready to hire one of the mobile motorcycle mechanics of craigslist. :comp13:

At least I got some 4' tubes and replaced the burned out fluorescents  in the garage.

Now I can better see that I'm not sure what I'm doing. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, it lives!

I called a guy from Craigslist who turned out to be an excellent guy.

Got the most important stuff put back together, attach the Bolt power pack, and she fired right up.

Just gotta get a battery, put on the chain guard and side fairing, air tires, lube chain, figure why the odo and clock is not coming on, clean it up and ride. :beer:

On my knees, on my feet, where's that tool? Repeat 2 or 300 times over 6 1/2 hours. I'm worn out. :wacko:

100_9887.JPG

• Member Contributer

Congrats Lee! For me, it always feels good when I can do it myself, or maybe with a little help.

Hey, I'm ready to give you back the 46mm  socket. And Bob his chain tool and stuff.  Thanks again for those.  :beer:

No way I would have got this done by my lonesome. Gotta give some props to Jose Q whose number I found on Craiglist. He is better with this stuff than I am.

When he came and looked at it yesterday, he was not wanting to get involved with this basket case that he did not take apart, and did not know how to put back together w/o a lot of RTFM. I think he never worked on a VFR before either. But he agreed to help me, and I paid by the hour, since I knew mostly how it went together, and had the manual. So, the hard stuff is done. Too bad it's supposed to rain tomorrow. :wink:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Hey, I'm ready to give you back the 46mm  socket. And Bob his chain tool and stuff.  Thanks again for those.  :beer:

No way I would have got this done by my lonesome. Gotta give some props to Jose Q whose number I found on Craiglist. He is better with this stuff than I am.

When he came and looked at it yesterday, he was not wanting to get involved with this basket case that he did not take apart, and did not know how to put back together w/o a lot of RTFM. I think he never worked on a VFR before either. But he agreed to help me, and I paid by the hour, since I knew mostly how it went together, and had the manual. So, the hard stuff is done. Too bad it's supposed to rain tomorrow. :wink:

No worries, glad it came in handy for a VFR owner, as I bought it to work on a friend's Ducati Street Fighter. I also had to buy a 28MM socket for his front wheel, had to be the one socket I didn't already have! Not sure if Bob or I will be able to see you first but if possible it would be cool to meet for a ride and then get it from you directly. If Bob happens to be meeting up with you first, you can just hand it to him and I'll meet up with him. He's only a few miles from me.

• Member Contributer

Awesome Lee. So much has come up between work, home and the FZ1 electrical gremlin infestation I feel bad I couldn't come by and help finish the vfr with you.

Believe it or not you are well on your way to being a basic MC mechanic. Great idea to have a pro finish it so you know it is safe and sound. Let's ride soon.

Wow,  look at you, or the VFR  Nice, see, that wasn't so hard now was it ;)  congrats. anything worth it seems to take time.    Sorry to hear about the rain though,  in that I can't help you.    

No doubt there are tougher jobs. This was more than I really want to get into though.

But I'm glad it's getting fixed. Once the parts were bought, I was past the point of no return.

• Member Contributer

Congrats, man.  I've been following this thread from afar, and although it's beyond my skill level, it's very inspiring to see someone tackle a problem beyond their skill level and see it through.

Enjoy the ride!

Tom

I blame VFR Capt.Bob for luring me into the deep end when he came by and helped tear into it and see what all was needed.

But I also have to thank him for his help. Could not have done it alone.

If it was all down to me I probably would have sold it as is and been missing my VFR now.

Once I add a battery it will be close to a $600 repair, with mostly used parts, minimal labor cost.

Having a shop fix it probably would have cost close to and maybe more than it's worth as a running bike.

Will keep a couple fingers crossed until I get in a good length test ride, but I think / hope it will be fine.

Weather is supposed to be dry and good temps next weekend. Back into the garage to wrap up Saturday.

Legs should be not so damn sore by then. Stand squat kneel squat stand repeat. You try it 200 or 300 times. :huh:

Would love to take it out for a ride more than a test. Gotta put some miles on it to justify all the expense and trouble. A bunch of miles.  :wheel:

Archived