Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

I realized I did not know just how the inner cover comes off. There's a pretty good chunk missing below the sprocket, uhh shaft?

It's super grimy, hence the one use gloves.

Just like I had with that hole. Go see my post of 22 Aug. which shows the damaged cover removed.

You seem to have avoided the upper bolts being clouted and breaking out the holes.

Roll the shift rod to check straightness.

Well done so far.

1 hour ago, steve27bha said:

Roll the shift rod to check straightness.

I'll check that out next time I get to work on it. First I need to clean it up, then RTFM.

I guess also follow, I think it was Kev, suggestion to put back on sidestand and look for leaking oil.

Times like this is where it's good to have more than 1 bike.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFR4Lee said:

I'll check that out next time I get to work on it. First I need to clean it up, then RTFM.

I guess also follow, I think it was Kev, suggestion to put back on sidestand and look for leaking oil.

Times like this is where it's good to have more than 1 bike.

That and a good friend who lives close and loves to work on bikes! 

6 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

That and a good friend who lives close and loves to work on bikes! 

Don't have one of those. Applications accepted.

I'm wishing I liked it.  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to this. Sprayed on some Gumout since that's what I had. Helped clean off some of the grime. Put bike on side stand, oil begins to leak again.

Put back on center stand and unbolted a bunch of stuff, and got the inner cover off. The engine case appears OK to my eye. Not sure where the oil is escaping from exactly. Gearshift spindle? :comp13:

101_3472.JPG

So the oil seems to be coming from a ball bearing above the shift lever shaft and behind the yellowish metal thing in the above pic. Also from another bearing at the shift shaft. Sorry about the technical jargon. It looks like the broken inner cover normally contains oil in the lower part and that area is open to the engine oil. Anyway, on closer examination of the area around the front sprocket today. No apparent damage to the engine case. Oil that leaks out now does so because the inner cover thing is off and oil lives inside it under normal operation, and there is no problemo. Yes?

Also got a good look at the rear sprocket area, swingarm, axle, etc. Axle appears OK including the threads. Pulled that out along with the brake rotor and cleaned it up.

Did not remove the bearing due to no circlips plier and no special Honda tools. Did have some nice blue grease, so those are greased up good. They all turn nice and smooth, so hopefully is OK. The eccentric chain adjuster bit, bearing holder ion the book?   It did not want to turn easy, but some cleaning and grease eased that a bit. Proabably someone used a screwdriver or punch to adjust the chain at some time, not the special tool.

The farther I drag my feet along this path, the more fixable it looks. Gotta give a lot of credit to VFRCaptBob for coming over after a ride today and getting his hands way dirty helping me out. Also for bringing and loaning me a paper version of the service manual. Way way better than a pdf. The diagrams and pics are much clearer. Doubt I would have got this far on my own.  :fing02:

Zoomzoom, I be making a list, checking it twice for the parts I need from your part out.

101_3481.JPG

101_3479.JPG

101_3480.JPG

• Member Contributer

To answer your question, yes when the gearshift cover is in place oil will be contained in/around the detente mechanism and shift star area, as it is meant to, so I don't see a problem there. There is a seal on the shift lever shaft that keeps the oil inside that casing.

• Member Contributer

The engine case and related cover mounting points all look pristine. The threads look pretty good on the rear drive axle and everything there was usable that I can tell. I was a little concerned about the resistance on the cam adjuster hub but after discussing it with Lee and looking at it I think it is a minor issue unrelated to the driven hub departure. I think the staking tang simply broke away and allowed the nut to loosen. Everybody with a high mile VFR I would encourage to check that thing. 

I miss working on my VFR so it was nice to be back on the wrenches with this one. 

One good day of work should have it back on the road again once all the parts are there. I will make a DIY mechanic out of Lee yet. 

Scary to think all that was holding the rear wheel and axle in place was the brake disk and caliper. 

I thought for some reason the area behind the inner cover was dry normally.

Obviously I was wrong.

Need to make a parts list.

Ned to get back to work.

1 hour ago, zoomzoom said:

Glad the damage doesn't look as extensive as your first thought Lee.  The parts bike is awaiting your list of various bits and bobbles.  

I better get on that then. I will try to make it a complete list.  :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Lee, I have a set of rubber cush things still in the bag. Ordered them accidentally.

You can have them for free. pm me if interested.

Congratulations for your persistence. And if you need rear end parts I have a spare mc that will be more or less intact left over when I rebuild my other spare machine.

• Member Contributer

Complete swing arm with a complete hub assembly may be the ticket. Would hate to assemble everything then have the worn thread on Lees axle strip while torquing the nut.

What would shipping be to LosAngeles?

Parts List for the front sprocket area:

1. Gear shifter cover. 

2. Sprocket cover.

3. Chain guide plate

4. All the bolts to mount. Just in case.

5. New oil seal gasket for gea shift cover if old one is damaged.

Rear Hub area

1. The sprocket driven hub and all coller spacers and sprocket mounting bolts.

2. The cush drive rubber set.

3. Axle mounting nut and spring coil washer.

Recommend new gasket and spring coil washer from Honda. Especially if that is the staked item for the axle nut.

54 minutes ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Parts List for the front sprocket area:

1. Gear shifter cover. 

2. Sprocket cover.

3. Chain guide plate

4. All the bolts to mount. Just in case.

5. New oil seal gasket for gear shift cover if old one is damaged.

Rear Hub area

1. The sprocket driven hub and all coller spacers and sprocket mounting bolts.

2. The cush drive rubber set.

3. Axle mounting nut and spring coil washer.

Recommend new gasket and spring coil washer from Honda. Especially if that is the staked item for the axle nut.

This sounds about right. Or these plus the axle just in case. And axle nut cap.

If the swing arm has all that attached seems it would be heavy and pricey to ship from Canada.

Thanks for posting Bob. Just finished an irritating day of work, so nice to see this is bumped down the road.

but if the 17 mm pinch bolt that secures the eccentric on that rear hub is not tightened down properly after adjusting the tension on the chain, riding the bike makes the chain tighten even more on one model and loosens it on the other. Perhaps the mechanic who tightened your chain failed to tighten the pinch bolt adequately... Food for thought?

BTW, the pinch bolt was tight.

Add to list chain and sprocket set, probably best got new.

• Member Contributer

I found a side stand (which is no longer available as a new part) a at a junk yard on ebay. If you could find a wrecked fifth gen locally could you transfer a whole swing arm with hub and all. Perhaps finding out where insurance companies send their totaled bikes might yield results.   

• Member Contributer

I watch a lot of the wrecked auto auctions in the SoCal area. 5th gens are far and few between, and after auction fees, unless you're a dismantler, it's rarely worth it.

I occasionally see a few wrecked ones on craigslist where they buy it back from insurance, may be worth a look on the 'parts' section in various regions of CL.

• Member Contributer

Plenty of complete swing arms turn up cheap on UK eBay, but the shipping'll kill any eureka buzz, fer sure.  Come to think of it, I have all of the swing arm-related parts here, but unless someone has a free checked bag flying back from London, it wouldn't be economical for me to ship them, either.  I doubt the axle or bearing carrier would need to be replaced, but the peace of mind may be worth it. 

Ciao,

Looks like Zoomzoom has almost everything I need.

He gets to start the part out with a bunch of bits that are probably not high demand.

I can avoid buying 27 +- bits one by one on Partzilla, Ebay, etc.

Looking forward to running up the odometer some more.

Iirc the tow truck guy wrote 80,701 miles in his log.

Archived