Lost rear sprocket whle riding.

VFR4Lee

Sounds like at the least in the way of hassle get an electric / maybe battery impact.  air would be the first choice,  but at the least the electric version is a good second.  I know my son swears by em and in whats really needed they do their job    

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electric $40, Air $80 at Harbor Fright. Plus 9% tax. Not a big deal I guess.

But even if I get the thing off and get a better look, I don't think I  want the project.

Wrenching on machines is something I've done at times out of necessity.

Not because I liked it. I know some do, not my cup O tea.

Too much sweating and cursing, and time spent figuring out what do I do now? :unsure:

• Member Contributer
On 9/4/2016 at 10:51 PM, VFR4Lee said:

I  put a bolt through to prevent the chain turning. The chain lifts off the sprocket and the sprocket turns. No go.

Have not been able to find something to jam in there and prevent it turning. The sprocket wants to push it out.

Thought maybe I could take off the footpeg holder to get more room. Put a big effing pipe wrench on it.

It has a bolt larger than 19mm but smaller than 24mm. Those are the closest sockets I have. :wacko:

Thinking to change my policy.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it is broke, get it out of here now. :sleep:

Why aren't you putting the transmission into gear? 

The bolt head is 14mm.  Don't use a pipe wrench...

Ciao,

The bike is in gear. I try to loosen the bolt and the whole engine turns with the sprocket, it feels like.

The pipe wrench idea was to go on the sprocket to prevent it turning.

Not for the sprocket bolt.  :goofy:

• Forum CEO

Yea looks like your spindle bolt failed and came loose, or was not tightened properly during service.  It holds the cush drive bell onto the rear drive assembly.  The shifter cover looks damaged, its built to be a sacrificial piece in cause such an event where the chain goes.  Might have to get a new one and press in some new bearings and a gasket and your back in business. You recovered the bell housing I hope? Check the drive spindle it might have sheered or the threads torn off.  $200 or so in parts you can do the labor or $300 - $400 at a shop.  Its fixable for sure.  

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

The bike is in gear. I try to loosen the bolt and the whole engine turns with the sprocket, it feels like.

The pipe wrench idea was to go on the sprocket to prevent it turning.

Not for the sprocket bolt.  :goofy:

Ah, okay, missed that.  Is the transmission in first gear, or fifth?   The torque on the front sprocket bolt is "only" 51 Newtons, about half of that for the axle nut, so a breaker bar should crack it no problem.  There may be a way to jam it from the clutch side of the engine if you cannot figure out a way to jam the sprocket.  Good luck.

Ciao,

18 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

The shifter cover looks damaged, its built to be a sacrificial piece in cause such an event where the chain goes.

Yes, thanks Miguel. The inner cover is totaled. I did not hear that tidbit of info before. I like it, hopefully it took the major damage in that area. Whatever pieces came off are gone.

I'm gonna try again to remove the sprocket to get a look. But this project is beyond what I am willing to do and what I trust myself to do right.

Too expensive to give to a mechanic. So, it's going to have to go.

Maybe later I'll get an 8th gen. Looks and sounds like a VFR should imho, and good prices out there.

Too bad I bought a car last Feb, Another bike will have to wait. At least the car is a Honda V6. :sleep:

• Forum CEO

Dude seriously? It's a day long project at most. To get rid of her over this I'd a shame. Unless it's just a great excuse to get your wife to green light a new bike?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I guess my litany of stripped and broken bolts, things that did not get tightened enough, or too much, or just got borked by yours truly is not that long.

Nonetheless.... :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Rogue_Biker said:

Well the bike ain't worth much now.  So getting rid of her will yield you a few hundred dollars.  How many miles do you have in it?  I'll give you $300 for it.

Lowballer. :tongue:

10 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

I also got a car in Feb! Honda I4, but with a 6 speed manual.

Accord? Civic? Other?

I wanted the Accord V6 as antidote to my prior gutless Tacoma I4.

The '08 with 70k miles for $10.5k beat out a new one for $30k+ for me. :beer:

Nice. I haven't had a stick shift car in a long time.

Too much time crawling in traffic hell, it would be a pita sometimes.

If you've driven a stick shift Honda, it wouldn't be a chore at all.  The shifters are slick, the clutches smooth and light.  It's a pleasure to row that's for sure.  Honda stick shifts are the benchmark.  Just like Honda motorcycle gearboxes are slick and light. 

• Forum CEO

I was true for my 1993 civic sti hatcback. Not so for my 2008 civic coup. 2nd to 3rd the revs drop out and it's a chore to get into gear. Then pop the clutch and wham it's a big learch to 3rd gear. Not a very smooth 5 speed manual tranny on my coup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

If you've driven a stick shift Honda, it wouldn't be a chore at all.  The shifters are slick, the clutches smooth and light.  It's a pleasure to row that's for sure.  Honda stick shifts are the benchmark.  Just like Honda motorcycle gearboxes are slick and light. 

I'm not sure Honda motorcycle gearboxes are known for being "slick and light".  I almost only ride Hondas, so I can't compare them with anything else, but I don't think that's their general rep.  :blush:

Ciao,

I'm not sure Honda motorcycle gearboxes are known for being "slick and light".  I almost only ride Hondas, so I can't compare them with anything else, but I don't think that's their general rep.  blush.png

Ciao,

Nope. They aren't. But they are faithful if you're committed.

I've owned Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Buells, ridden Harley's, Ducati's, Guzzi's and BMW's.

The Honda's transmissions are the slickest and lightest of the bunch.  Currently have a CBR600RR and the transmission on that bike is simply, sublime.  It is seamless with or without a clutch.  It's also fast.  Only slight pressure is necessary and the transmission goes into the next gear.  Read any road test report of a Honda motorcycle and they all say the same similar thing about Honda's transmissions (cars and bikes).

I honestly don't care as long as the transmissions do what they're supposed to and doesn't grind, or miss gears.  I can even adopt to a clunky transmission (Harley Davidson, Guzzi's, and BMW).  Unless there is another brand out there that has better transmissions than Honda, please clue me in.

• Member Contributer

Re the bolt, use the chain to lock sprocket/transmission. Use a wire to connect a link to one of the rear hub bolt heads then the sprocket can't turn.

• Member Contributer
On 9/8/2016 at 9:53 PM, Baileyrock said:

This would have never happened if you would have had Vtec! :tongue:

Or a 1200...  :tongue:

Ciao,

12 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

Wrong forum Lee!!

You're a sick man. :laughing6-hehe:

Don't take this wrong.

I finally got it off! :laugh:

Got a piece of sturdy cable left over from something, Pushed it through the chain and tied it around the swing arm.

Literally. A double knot plus duct tape.

Jam that roofing tool thing in on top the sprocket to keep the chain from riding up off the sprocket, hold it and turn breaker bar and socket with the other hand. After a few turns to take the slack out of the cable, and changing the small extension on the wrench that broke, the bolt came loose.

I realized I did not know just how the inner cover comes off. There's a pretty good chunk missing below the sprocket, uhh shaft?

It's super grimy, hence the one use gloves.

Anyway at this point I went and got a battery for the 03 Tuono because it needed one.

It fired right up like it wants to ride. Then I went and got it a rear tire because it eats those. Damn these 190's are expensive.

At least I can go ride tomorrow.  :wheel:

101_3369.JPG

101_3364.JPG

Archived