New to the VF500 Interceptor, A few questions

flyinelvis

Hello to everyone, first post!  I'm on the cusp of purchasing an '86 VF500 and have a few questions of resto/moding.

First just a little background.  Purchased my first bike in 1981, a 1977 CB550K.  Great bike, I even tried my hand at cafe.  Came out pretty well, but with a wife and kids on the way, the justification of a motorcycle came to an end.  Now, on wife number 2 and (collectively) 5 kids thru school, t's time to get back in the game.  Over the past 5 years I have built 3 CX500's (cafe, resto, and a resto/mod).  All three were head turners and I learned a lot in the process.  Still have the resto/mod (fun bike) and it's quite a head turner for someone in the know. 

IMG_0992_zpsgzsfpd1o.jpg

Long story short, I ended up with a flock of four '88 - '90 Honda HawkGT647's.  Got one running and sold to a friend, parted one out, stripped a tired track bike of it's goodies and finished this build in early spring.  What a great ride!  It's an '88, with a '91 VFR rear wheel (hub modification) and an '09 CBR600RR front end among other items.  Replaced every seal (coolant and oil), did a Stage 3 carb upgrade and added a Delkavic can,clutch springs, you name it.  Beautiful bike that handles like a dream.

13418516_696723970469416_237071044262859

A good friend of mine (rides an SV650) has had his crashed '85 VF500 stashed in his garage for 10+ years.  Whenever the subject is breeched, he turns a cold shoulder to selling.  So thinking ahead to the winter months, I've started a search of one of my own.  Hopeful of finalizing the purchase of an '86 in the next day or so.  Personally i think that paint scheme is the best of the breed.

So I'm thinking a frame off cleaning/resto and possible mod. That would be in the form of a CBR front end, but not certain that's the way to go or not.  I have a feeling the majority here would lean toward the OEM forks (Showa's i would assume?) to keep it period correct.  What has been done to update these forks?  Emulators? Do they work with the Trak anti-dive, or is that scrapped for emulators, springs, spacers and proper fluids?

On to the rear, the GL500 used the same air can as the VF and I have access to seals.  But are there rear socks that would eliminate the need for the outdated rear pogo?  I put a Hagon on my Hawk, a tremendous step forward.  I'm sure the track monkeys would go to a Penske or Olins, but I don't think I need to go that far ($).

So I really don't want to stray too far from what the bike was (is).  Like many of you, I'm certain, I'm a huge fan of the vintage and somewhat overlooked small displacement Hondas.  IMO this bike is the pick of the litter (color scheme) and I know the little V4 is peppy and well designed.  Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

-tom

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Tom,

First time I've seen your thread, don't know why?
Quite a resume....and dedication to our first true love, an engine with a few bits added. I too put my love for bikes aside for too long, but am working on a VF750f.
We had the VF400f in South Africa with twin inboard front discs, quite peppy for a small unit.
The only negative I've come across of the 500 on this forum is something with pistons, think that may be rider related though.
Those I've seen here are sweet looking.

Craig

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Missed this also.....

As for my VF500F2..

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/81347-vf500f2-aka-mbd-incubation-period-at-least-52-years/

have RT emulators and an YSS rear shock

Thanks for the responses fellas.  Craig, do you have a build thread?  Dutchy, I have poured over your link, a very enjoyable read...

I did purchase the '86 VF500F.  Such a difference with it's high rev power band compared to the Hawk (I just parted ways with the CX500 - sniff, sniff).

It was in very good condition, engine runs like a top.  Did an oil/filter change (oil looked brand new), low mileage BattleAxe tires, newish battery.  The side stand was bent, making the leaning angle a little too extreme.  So I picked up a parts bike (it too was in great condition, but alas, no title) and started picking some parts (such as side stand) to complement the Mini-Ceptor.  

Much to the dismay of the purist (I'm certain), I replaced the bent and broken signals with LED's, which of course meant a new flasher.  I replaced the OEM headlight bulb with an OPT7 LED headlight.  Tried to install it on my Hawk, but with a rear fan and a small regulator(?) it wouldn't fit.  Haven't had it out at night as of yet, as I'm working thru a fairing repair and windshield replacement.  

The rear bottom left fairing mount was fractured and the PO had safety wire it into position.  Not a bad repair, but I wanted to do it right.  I Dremold'd away the fractured ABS and (hopefully) a fellow employee is going to design and 3D print a repair piece from ABS to be glued to the fairing using ABS pipe dope.

The bike arrived with a rinkydink fender eliminator which I swapped out to one designed for the Hawk (it mounts the flashers, too).  Much better.  I added a 6 - LED license tag surround that really makes the plate pop (a requirement here).

I probably won't get a ton on miles on it prior to the onset of colder weather (and having my Hawk to ride) and I'm planning on a valve adjustment (and coolant replacement) and a general cleaning.  I have ordered a Hagon rear shock to replace the air can and have contacted Jamie Daughtery about a fork rebuild with his emulators and new springs.  I'll be powder coating the wheels, peg mounts, grab bar, etc, to clean it up a bit.

Here's a couple of images of the bike on receipt.  If interested, I'll post up some pics with the new winkers and fender eliminator.

IMG_1843_zpszzhss6rw.jpg

IMG_1844_zpsebh65pc5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice!!!

And good to see that your collector box looks like mine. :goofy:

The PO of my VF500 had cheap, fake CF, normal bulb indicators so I kept my eye on local ebay and scored a set of OEM ones.

The rear went on no problemo.

Learned that the front bracket will not readily accept them; probably someone did something creative earleir.

Ach, I will fix that once my cast is gone/I have full strength/motion in my left hand again.

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Learned that the front bracket will not readily accept them...

It seems that over-travel of the fork lowers would contact the front winker mounts.  I have seen several Mini-Ceptors with scored lowers from contact with those mounts.  

I have been contacted by Hagon that my rear shock is now in the states.  Gonna put installation on ice 'til winter when I REALLY need to have a project.  I'll be pulling the front end for Jamie to weave his magic around the same timeframe.  He'll even re-powder coat the red lowers.  Cant beat that.

As for the collector box, other than some light surface rust it appears to be sound, as do the pipes.  I may remove it, bead blast and coat with high temp paint, but that really hasn't been my immediate focus.  This thing is soooo quiet.  Not a firm believer in the "loud pipes save lives" theory.  I like it...

• Member Contributer

Hi Tom, great decision on the purchase...as others have said before, once you have the v-four in your system you never lose the love of them. Had a 750 from '88 for a couple of years, no prizes for guessing the choice when deciding to get back on the bike! Even though there are super duper modern machines out there.
I have started a thread, "Beginning of my VF build", I do have a completely stock unit, which is giving me the 'license' if you will to play with the first project one I picked up. I have enough parts now to have three runners!! Time, time, time....
Still collecting parts now, build will kick of soon.
I have done my Australian bike license so have 12 months before I go full open to be able to ride these machines, that's my deadline....
Keep up the effort and interest.

Craig

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 8:31 AM, flyinelvis said:

The rear bottom left fairing mount was fractured and the PO had safety wire it into position.  Not a bad repair, but I wanted to do it right...

Just wanted to update you on the fairing repair:

As discussed, I marked and dremol'd out the broken tab.

IMG_2239_zps0daunz6y.jpg

IMG_2242_zpsdo17qrhx.jpg

Here's the 3D printed ABS plastic replacement tab.

IMG_2270_zpstvmoldd1.jpg

And here it is, glued into place.

IMG_2271_zpswl6uqweg.jpg

I used this acrylic cement to seal the deal.

The repair is unbelievably strong and I couldn't have been more pleased with the outcome.

I also added a Gustafsson windscreen.  I went with the 4-in longer than stock model and it does a nice job of deflecting the wind from my chest.  Not as sturdy as the OEM piece (which was pretty beat up) but it's a worthy replacement overall.  I'll post up some photos, soon...

While I have your attention, it seems that fuel filters are difficult to install on these bikes?  Seems the best place for them is after the "Y" (this is the '86 model).  Can anyone confirm?  Inquiring minds need to know...

On 10/3/2016 at 8:31 AM, flyinelvis said:

• Member Contributer

Nice!

There is a small filter in the fuel tap assembly.

Looked into adding a full size filter but indead, space is limitted. And living in NL, settled on if it aint broke (or designed to have one) dont fix it...

Archived