newrider

was wondering what everyone suggest for just general maintenance as well as had a few questions too!

I have a 1997 vfr and the previous owner had just water instead of coolant and I want to switch it to coolant:

1.) where is the coolant reservoir located?

2.) do I need to drain the water first or can I add coolant to it?

what can I add to the gas I read once about something that can keep it from getting gunked up I'm going to be away from the bike awhile, a friend is gonna take care of it and run it a bit but i still just want to be sure! 

I'm new to this so literally any advice would help! 

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

IIRC on your 4th gen the coolant reservoir is on the right side just in front of the clutch cover.  If all you have is water in the system you should indeed switch to a coolant mix and will need to get at more than just the reservoir.  It would be wise to drain the system as well as the reservoir, including pulling the small plug on the front of the block behind the headers to completely drain the block.  Once you've done that you can then refill the system with an appropriate mix of coolant.  You can buy it pre mixed if you want.  Be sure it does not contain silicates and is approved for use with aluminum radiators.

For the fuel, Stabil is often used to prevent fuel deterioration.   It only takes a few ounces for 5 gallons.  I use the Marine formula as it's more concentrated and I can keep less of it around.  I stopped at Stabil's booth at a show once and asked the rep about the difference between the regular (red) Stabil and the (green) Marine Formula.  He said "nothing - the Marine formula is just more concentrated and has a different dye".  They also make "Stabil 360", which supposedly emits vapors that cover the bare metal above the fuel in the tank to prevent rust - though I've never heard of any verification that it works.  You can find it everywhere - including Wal Mart.  The best price I've found for it is on Amazon.  If the bike will sit for an extended period, you can also drain the carbs.  I did that each winter when I had my 4th gen and never had any starting problems the following spring. 

9 hours ago, Cogswell said:

IIRC on your 4th gen the coolant reservoir is on the right side just in front of the clutch cover.  If all you have is water in the system you should indeed switch to a coolant mix and will need to get at more than just the reservoir.  It would be wise to drain the system as well as the reservoir, including pulling the small plug on the front of the block behind the headers to completely drain the block.  Once you've done that you can then refill the system with an appropriate mix of coolant.  You can buy it pre mixed if you want.  Be sure it does not contain silicates and is approved for use with aluminum radiators.

For the fuel, Stabil is often used to prevent fuel deterioration.   It only takes a few ounces for 5 gallons.  I use the Marine formula as it's more concentrated and I can keep less of it around.  I stopped at Stabil's booth at a show once and asked the rep about the difference between the regular (red) Stabil and the (green) Marine Formula.  He said "nothing - the Marine formula is just more concentrated and has a different dye".  They also make "Stabil 360", which supposedly emits vapors that cover the bare metal above the fuel in the tank to prevent rust - though I've never heard of any verification that it works.  You can find it everywhere - including Wal Mart.  The best price I've found for it is on Amazon.  If the bike will sit for an extended period, you can also drain the carbs.  I did that each winter when I had my 4th gen and never had any starting problems the following spring. 

Thanks for the response!! If you have the time could you include pictures of where to drain it and where to insert? Again, this is my first bike so i don't have much knowledge and really don't want to mess it up!

• Member Contributer

If you plan to DIY it, a good source is to download the factory service manual from the Downloads section (it's free).  That will give you step by step instructions as well as illustrations.

4th Gen FSM dowload

Here's a youtube video of it being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHk6_qJYnk

It does not appear to cover removing the block drain bolt.  If all you have is water in the system, you should do that.  It will be covered in the manual.  After refilling, as the engine warms, leave the cap loose (not off) to allow air to bleed from the system.  It needs to get warm enough to open the thermostat to circulate coolant.  You'll probably have to add coolant a couple of times as the air bleeds out.  Once full, let it cool then re-check the level a final time prior to closing the rad cap.  As you run it down the road any additional needed will be drawn from the overflow tank, so that should be checked after a few rides to be sure it's at the correct level. 

Archived