8th gen hard wire install for Garmin Zumo mount

Rambler358

I've just ordered a Garmin Zumo and should be receiving it next week.  I'd like to hard wire the mount harness to a switched power source, that turns on and off with the bike.  Having just received my 8th gen this past Sunday, I'm just getting familiar with it.  Does the fuse box have an accessory terminal that could be used, or is there a better way or place to wire it?

• 5 months later...

I routed the GPS wiring underneath the gas tank by lifting the front of the tank up and propping it. I spliced the battery terminal wires to a SAE Y-connector with terminal rings for the battery. So the GPS is basically hard-wired to the battery, and I also have another SAE connector (from the Y) that I use for trickle charging the battery. It was actually pretty easy, and took me about an hour. If doing it now, it would probably take me 10-15 minutes.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, googus said:

Does that mean you have to turn off the gps. Could you tap into the hot wire from the taillight?

While there is nothing wrong with how the OP wired it, I would have used a relay with a wire from the tail light connected to the #86 terminal.  That way power would be switched off with the ignition so you don't have to worry about drawing down the battery.

relays1.jpg

1 hour ago, Conedodger said:

While there is nothing wrong with how the OP wired it, I would have used a relay with a wire from the tail light connected to the #86 terminal.  That way power would be switched off with the ignition so you don't have to worry about drawing down the battery.

relays1.jpg

I initially thought about having the GPS power switched but opted not to due to a couple reasons.  One is the the power-up time for the GPS - when I do a quick stop for gas, or just turn off the bike for a moment.  Also, I use the Garmin SmartLink app and the GPS resets the Smart Link settings whenever the GPS is powered off and on again - I think this is a GPS bug that I need to address to Garmin.  And when at home, the bike is always on the trickle charger, so I don't have to worry about battery drain.  When I'm out riding around or on a trip and leave the bike for a period of time, I just remove the GPS from the mount for security and any power drain issue there might be.

5 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

There is a guy here in the UK that makes a harness that taps into the rear brake light switch.  I used one on my Gen 6 and it was easy.  His email is bikesparks@hotmail.co.uk if anyone needs one.  I think they are around £15.

Do you happen to have a picture handy?  

Art

Archived