OEM Panniers / Saddle Bags

XRM

Ordered the Honda panniers (long wait) and wondering if the water resistant inner bags are worth buying?  Appreciate comments from those with some experience using the panniers.

• Member Contributer

Nope From what I've heard of the vfr1200 ones (same size) you loose a lot of space and are not worth the cash. Far better off getting eagle creek packing cubes. 

Ordered the Honda panniers (long wait) and wondering if the water resistant inner bags are worth buying?  Appreciate comments from those with some experience using the panniers.

How did it take you to get your panniers after ordering? I ordered them as well, and the dealer's saying there's no ETA for them.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

After complaining to Honda America corporate, they have finally given me an ETA of 24 August "2016".  Safety in numbers, I suggest you also call them on 866 784 1870 and give them a friendly push, might help both of us.

good luck - let me know how you go!

• Member Contributer
On 8/9/2016 at 7:59 PM, XRM said:

Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

After complaining to Honda America corporate, they have finally given me an ETA of 24 August "2016".  Safety in numbers, I suggest you also call them on 866 784 1870 and give them a friendly push, might help both of us.

good luck - let me know how you go!

When I ordered my white ones back in April, Honda Canada didn't have any in inventory and gave me an ETA of "late August".  Honda US had 10 in stock so I ended up cancelling the order and getting them through a dealer in North Dakota.

I'll likely just have my dealer give the push. They're a top Powersports dealer and have contacts with corporate.

On 9 August 2016 at 9:56 PM, fink said:

Nope From what I've heard of the vfr1200 ones (same size) you loose a lot of space and are not worth the cash. Far better off getting eagle creek packing cubes. 

I have the Honda bags and agree, although when I took the bike to Spain I could fit stuff between the pannier and bag. Might get one of those packing cubes for the top box :mellow:

I dunno.  $1000 (USD) for the boxes is fine apparently, but $100 for the liners is too much???  Get them if you want them, I'd say.  I like that they fit perfectly, that they don't take up all the space, and that I don't look like a slob carrying grocery bags into a hotel...  They do undoubtedly use some space themselves, so that may be a factor if your needs are greater than mine.

• Member Contributer

The bag liners aren't worth it. You lose a lot of internal space as opposed to using something like tote bags that conform to the shape of the panniers.

• Member Contributer
On 8/12/2016 at 5:42 AM, Rambler358 said:

I'll likely just have my dealer give the push. They're a top Powersports dealer and have contacts with corporate.

Dude, you're in Torrance...why don't you just head on over to AmHon HQ and kick some ass?  :cool:

I've used GiVi bag liners for years, and some aftermarket ones for my ST1300's panniers.  The convenience of fitted liners that can simply be removed and used as soft luggage off the bike outweighs by far any other consideration for me (and, more importantly, for my wife...) 

Ciao,

How much space do you girls need? Can't fit the hairdryer AND the makeup in?

I can understand when wifey goes on the back but she gets one sidebag and the topbox, right?

I used the OEM fitted softbags in my sidecases or panniers if you will. Very convenient for carrying your stuff from bike to hotel or wherever. It's amazing what I was able to fit in there and I never had a topbox (wifey doesn't ride).

You just have to prioritize and simplify your needs and leave the kitchen sink behind.

• Member Contributer

Depends on how much stuff you need to take and how long you are going away for.  Also in the UK you will need to take waterproofs and a warmer layer or two. 

Suffice to say have managed 2 weeks kit plus "ipads", 35mm camera (which isn't going next time), the usual trip emergency repair necessities just in case.  with space left. just need careful packing.

• Member Contributer

am I the only one that will just take the whole saddlebag with me into hotel room? if I go to a place for more than 1 night I don't really want the bags on for more aggressive day rides from the hotel anyways. I have been in some pretty harsh rain with nothing getting wet in the bags.

5 hours ago, JZH said:

Dude, you're in Torrance...why don't you just head on over to AmHon HQ and kick some ass?  :cool:

I'm a lover not a fighter! Lol

I've talked to my dealer who has corporate contacts, and he's supposed to be getting back to me soon.  My thinking is that Honda assumed us state-siders would not be buying many VFRs, and as such, held off shipping many accessories for it here.  So they probably have to come from the motherland. 

am I the only one that will just take the whole saddlebag with me into hotel room? if I go to a place for more than 1 night I don't really want the bags on for more aggressive day rides from the hotel anyways. I have been in some pretty harsh rain with nothing getting wet in the bags.

I used to do that... until I got the soft inners. Then never again!!

I bought my panniers from Bike Bandit without any wait at a better price. Also bought the liners, claimed to have a 19 litre capacity as opposed to the pannier's 29 litre capacity. The liners are narrower so you can put shoes in between. I used to carry on my Kawasaki pannier's into the hotel. Don't want to do that anymore. Also, you risk scuffing them. Just my 2 cents' worth.

• Member Contributer

Obviously, there is a difference of opinion on this! 

FWIW, the rectangular, grey GiVi liners are so useful we've used them for years as normal luggage, stuffed into the car, or even as checked bags on an airplane.  I still have three or four of them in various states of repair.

Ciao,

On August 9, 2016 at 5:59 PM, XRM said:

Well, no word from my dealer yet.  Did you get your panniers on the 24 Aug 2016 ETA date?

I'm going to give Corporate Honda a call and see what they have to say.  Did you speak to any person or department in particular?

Archived