From RC36 to RC51

Guys,

I have a 4th gen VFR with 25k that I've had for 5 years now and I've done lots of upgrades to it (attached). I love the thing and can't imagine selling it. But I've always lusted the RC51 SP2 and finally in a place where I can possibly afford one that has not been abused. It's actually in MINT condition, first owner, factory everything down to tail light, including dealer brochures. Except for the Jardine full system and a PC3 (attached).

But I'm on the fence because all the white noise in my head. it's a 14 year old heavy bike with outdated machinery compared to newer stuff. Why am I spending so much for something this old when the 2017 CBR is supposed to kill everything. also the fact that I probably won't get much back for this bike in terms of resale value since it's a small market etc etc. Then on the other hand I am a VFR owner and there's a plethora of reasons for owning something so unique, beautifully engineered with a rich racing heritage.

So here's your chance to donate your 2¢.

IMG-20160509-WA0003.jpg

00000_iJ.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you can find one in good condition at a good price, buy it.  You will never be able to afford to scratch that itch in the future if you don't !

Return it to stock & it will just increase in value.

• Member Contributer

Owning a 1995 Ducati 900SS, which I had bought new back in 95, I can tell you there are a lot of other bikes that have more power, better handling and pretty much more technology than I could even imagine having but I would not give it up for anything out there at the moment. Maybe because I have an emotional attachment or perhaps it's because it is still fun to ride! It also attracts a lot of attention and I almost always get the "I should have never sold mine" remarks. I'm sure the RC51 has the same type of following.

To me, the RC51 is the bike that Ducati would have loved to build but didn't. Yes, it may be old school but take it for a test ride, I'm sure you'll feel the same bout the RC51 as I do about my Duc, the V-Twin roar and torque is something else and a joy to experience. If you don't have to sell your VFR, even better. I find that both V motors offer their own flavor and sometimes I actually find it hard to chose which one I would love to ride come ride time.

• Member Contributer

Or an organ grinder?  :wink:

Don't sell the VFR, though.  The RC51 is a great bike (it's on my list...), but it's no substitute for a VFR if you intend to use it like you would a VFR (e.g., all-arounder, sport tourer, two-up, etc.)

Ciao,

"The perfect pair" that sums it up for me as well. Thanks for sharing the bike pics. looks crisp clean.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:36 PM, St. Stephen said:

If you can own two they are the perfect pair. I faced the same decision a few months ago.  

IMG_2167.JPG

This bike was made before I thought I could ever buy a bike, it's way outdated, and is known to be as uncomfortable and hot as a Ducati. I really don't know what draws me to it, but I find it to be one of the most desirable bikes around. If I ever have the money when a clean SP2 pops up around me, I'll be snatching it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Oh, go ahead already !

You know you want to. :goofy:

There's one in my neighbourhood and it never fails to turn my head. Not something that can be said about the latest and fastest. That V-twin rumble... 

• Member Contributer

Wishing I still had the VFR everytime I ride my Street Triple to work. The FZ1 is better but not a VFR. The RC51 is a classic. I am told an absolute thrill to ridehard. I have only taken a couple freeway rides on the one I restored. Still haven't had time to register it. It is a about what inspires you to ride. The. brakes and motor are phenomenal. Mine was a crashed demo bike that was stored most of its time. Has less than 2000 miles on the odometer. Wife pestering me to sell it. Friends say I don't dare sell it.

20151030_170501.jpg

20160804_124046.jpg

20160724_110954.jpg

• Member Contributer

I love the front of that RC VFR. That tail section need work though.  Would be best if it had the RC51 front end conversion. The price of used RC51s are at an all time low. So many bikes on the market. Perfect time to pick up a really cared for one. 

On 8/13/2016 at 6:26 PM, timmythecop said:

Those silver surfers are groooovy!

I have toyed with this idea

EricKnutsonVFR800.jpg

• Member Contributer

Prices have already rebounded over here (unfortunately, pour moi)...

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived