New Bike!

Blake

Picked up my new 2014 deluxe pearl white yesterday, put a whopping 35 miles on already. Installed 1.25 motopump risers. Here are a few pics. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Yup, nice bike and welcome to the "D". I like those risers, very nice. 

• Member Contributer

Nice bike.  I'll never understand why Honda doesn't sell more VFR's.  I guess they're just too practical.  It really isn't price, IMO, because some dealer is always willing to come off substantially.  And, used ones are always out there.  

Thanks all. Really happy with the bike but still getting used to it. It's different from my previous CB500. The dealer mechanics really like the bike and everyone at the dealership can't understand way they're not selling more of them. Picture of my new interceptor and my previous CB500. 

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Bent said:

Nice bike.  I'll never understand why Honda doesn't sell more VFR's.  I guess they're just too practical.  It really isn't price, IMO, because some dealer is always willing to come off substantially.  And, used ones are always out there.  

I think if they could build them like they use to and win the "best of" categories in magazines again, that might help. Honestly, I think it's one of the must under rated motorcycles. Then again I'm am very biased towards them.

I'd be more inclined to buy it again if it dropped some weight. The suspension also seems a little low-end for a $10-$12k bike, but it definitely is an overall good package. The V4 and new styling were the only things that really hooked me.

This bike is not a full blown sport bike by any means. I find the weight adds stability in a cross wind and keeps it well planted. I bought it because it was a sport tourer and good all rounder. So I can ride the twisties and go some distance as well.  Seems like a decent trade off to me. Yeah it's a little bit heavy to move around the garage but not compared to all the HDs around here that are 700-800lbs. 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

This bike is not a full blown sport bike by any means. I find the weight adds stability in a cross wind and keeps it well planted. I bought it because it was a sport tourer and good all rounder. So I can ride the twisties and go some distance as well.  Seems like a decent trade off to me. Yeah it's a little bit heavy to move around the garage but not compared to all the HDs around here that are 700-800lbs. 

I  agree. I got rid of a 700 lb ST1100 and a 600 lb FJ1200.  Just could deal with them at low speeds, city use and parking lots. Just wasn't doing the hours in the saddle anymore. The VFR was clearly the next step because cruisers just didn't fit the bill. 

I just don't get that. I find it no easier to ride in crosswinds than a bike that weighs 100 pounds less. I can really only think of one time ever thay crosswinds bothered me. It doesn't have to be below 400 pounds and fighting RRs , but 450-460 would be nice.

My CB 500 was 424lbs wet and I could feel it being affected by the wind. I guess I didn't mean not able to handle the bike, just heavier seems more planted. Still I must agree, while the 500+ interceptor is not hard to handle at this weight it wouldn't be bad at 450-460.

Being able to handle a heavyish bike at slow speed is an important skill to have as motorcyclists so its not all bad. 

• Member Contributer
35 minutes ago, Blake said:

Being able to handle a heavyish bike at slow speed is an important skill to have as motorcyclists so its not all bad. 

Probably more important to us New Yorkers than someone in, say, rural Alabama...

• Member Contributer

@ Rectaltronics and Blake, where in NY did you guys go to buy your bikes and did they let you test ride. Curious to test ride one and see if it is significantly different than the similar 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

I bought my bike at NY Honda Yamaha in Queens (Long Island City) in 2014.  Their sales and service have been good to me, and to my nephew as well.  FWIW they had a Standard on the floor (which might still be there, LOL) but they didn't mind giving me a decent (at the time) price on a Deluxe.  About a year after I got my bike my nephew in Marlboro NJ bought his CBR there and they delivered it to his driveway for a pittance.

I didn't even ask for a test ride on the new VFR.  Bought it mostly on blind faith.

Test rides are historically hard to come by in NYC but BMW Manhattan, if you can stand the place, does offer liberal demo rides with at least some of their 2-wheeled lineup.

Jupiter's Motorcycles in Brooklyn closed recently.  They had a great bike rental business, which is another way to get "demo" rides on some stuff.  Oh well.

Interestingly, according to Honda you can get demo rides of some of Honda's bigger bikes (a la Gold Wing) at King Cycles in Brooklyn.  Who, by the way, I've never been too crazy about.  But that's just my opinion.

• Member Contributer

Yes, Kings is as we say in Brooklyn, Fugazy. I remember reading here that someone from NY was able to test ride their 8th gen so I believe it may be Blake. If you read this let me know if it was you and where. None the less nice to know of a Honda dealership nearby. NY Honda Yamaha may be where I purchased my first motorcycle in 1984, a brand new CB650SC Nighthawk from Paragon Honda in LIC. Might be the same place renamed.

Expvet - I bought my 2014 just a few days ago at Honda of Riverhead on the east end of LI. I also bought my cb500 from them last year  and they have done service on the bike. When I showed an interest in the Interceptor the owner said he'd let me test ride the floor model. I didn't test ride the CB by the way. 

the reason why they dont sell as well. is because people are uneducated... also adjusting the valves are a chore.. my local bike shop refuses to do them on the vtec engines... thats ok, i only have 500 miles on mine right now, long way to go

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, wannabfast said:

the reason why they dont sell as well. is because people are uneducated... also adjusting the valves are a chore.. my local bike shop refuses to do them on the vtec engines... thats ok, i only have 500 miles on mine right now, long way to go

True on people being uneducated.  That statement could be made in almost any context concerning the state of education and the population.  

As far as adjusting the valves, I don't ever plan on doing that unless there is an apparent reason to do it given the VFR's record for not needing valve adjustments.  Any local bike shop that refuses to do a VTEC valve adjustment is not where I would take work to.  They apparently know nothing about business.  All they have to do is quote the price they want instead of refusing to do it.  I suspect they aren't capable of doing it.  

Archived