Starter Vavle Sync issue

RC51Nick

• Member Contributer

I was in the process of syncing the starter valves on my 07.  #1, 3, and 4 were all running around 20in of mercury but #2 was running about 10.  I just adjusted it out (counterclockwise)and overshot it sightly (the vacuum came up to about 22.  I tried to screw it back in and all of a sudden I started getting an air leak sound and the vacuum dropped to less than 10in.  The leak is coming form the 2 small holes on top of the throttle body plate for cylinder #2.  I tried to screw the starter valve back in (clockwise)and no luck getting the vacuum up or the leak to stop.  It acts like the valve came out of the threads (don't know if that is possible or not) but it def won't tighten back up (and I had been turning it gently to feel it something seated).

Did I just totally hose a throttle body setup or did I make a simple goof and that can be easier fixed.  Not having any luck and could just some suggestions.

Thanks,

Nick

In the service manual it indicates for valve installation to install the valve, tighten the lock nut, then adjust the valve inward. Is the lock nut that seats the valve against the hole loose? The manual indicates only 1.3 ft-lb for that nut. Maybe it needs that bit of snugness before the thread catches?

• Member Contributer

Looks like it is tight.  I put a small wrench on it and it didn't want to move.  I'm not sure if I backed the valve out and can't get it back in or what.

• Member Contributer

Went back out to the garage and noticed you could not see the valve through the small hole on the top of the throttle body like the other cylinders.  Took off the brass adjusting nut and was able to wiggle to valve to where it would drop back into position.  Reinstalled the brass tuning nut and vacuum leak gone.  Was able to synch all 3 starter valves to the control valve.

Sometimes sleeping on a problem overnight helps,

I think I got lucky.

Archived