Changed the oil OMG!

Well, that was an adventure, but it took a few hours longer than it should have. 

At least I know how to remove the side fairings now! That is a lot of bodywork just to change the oil! 

Make sure you figure out how those little body panel clips work before you start. They are actually pretty cool but not exactly intuitive. 

Biggest problem, of course, is getting the oil filter off! I am NOT happy with whoever is responsible for that design! To make it much worse, the oil filter was tightened way too much. I had to use the Phillips screwdriver method to break it loose. 

How much does the Honda dealer charge to change oil? I Ann seriously considering it for next time...

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking the 6th gen is similar to the 5th gen when it comes to changing the oil. You only need to remove the left hand fairing panel, then you can get to the filter. IMO it's easier if you have the proper sized filter wrench that will fit over the end of the filter and uses a ratchet to loosen.

Hmmm...

Only the left side? That is good to know for the next time. 

I had a couple of tools to remove it, but the filter was just on too tight. Once I broke it loose, it wasn't too bad. But it is still awfully tight in there. 

One more thought. Would the side stand be better than the center stand for oil draining purposes? 

• Member Contributer

MrRC45 oil filter access is even in a tighter space than an VFR but its easy work employing this handy oil filter wrench... about 10$ at AutoZone...

image_17544.jpg

• Member Contributer

FJ, you are indeed right, they are basically the same.  Left side comes off.  Don't take the front off, or anything else, just the left side panel.  Then off with the filter, after draining.  Definitely use a filter wrench either the Honda one or the one BLS has laid out.  The one good thing about the Honda wrench is your 3/4 ratchet will fit right into it giving you the space you need.  You can also snug it up nicely too.  (And not overtighten)   I'm sharing only for Tony as both FJ and BLS are long recognized voices on this list. (And know this and way more than I do already) 

Dave

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, duccmann said:

No---always on the center stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please expound since it would seem to me that more of the used oil will drain out if the bike is on the on the side stand vs the center stand.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Tonylmiller said:

Well, that was an adventure, but it took a few hours longer than it should have. 

At least I know how to remove the side fairings now! That is a lot of bodywork just to change the oil! 

Make sure you figure out how those little body panel clips work before you start. They are actually pretty cool but not exactly intuitive. 

Biggest problem, of course, is getting the oil filter off! I am NOT happy with whoever is responsible for that design! To make it much worse, the oil filter was tightened way too much. I had to use the Phillips screwdriver method to break it loose. 

How much does the Honda dealer charge to change oil? I Ann seriously considering it for next time...

Be thankful you don't have sliders...

• Member Contributer

Myself for only oil changes I remove the inner half cowl (piece in front of the exhaust headers) to get access to the filter. The drain bolt is accessible without any cowl removal at all, just need a deep socket.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, LangoPTC said:

Please expound since it would seem to me that more of the used oil will drain out if the bike is on the on the side stand vs the center stand.  Thanks.

If the bike is on the sidestand then oil will puddle away from the main drain plug and won't drain out. Centerstand works best. You probably won't leave much in there on the sidestand, but why leave any?

Yes, I'm sure the bike would be more stable on the center stand; that alone might be enough reason. But my drain plug is on the left, so I thought that a slight lean to the left might make the oil drain better. Not a big deal...

• Member Contributer

You don

13 hours ago, expvet said:

Myself for only oil changes I remove the inner half cowl (piece in front of the exhaust headers) to get access to the filter. The drain bolt is accessible without any cowl removal at all, just need a deep socket.

You don't even need to do that. I just changed the oil in my 2006 with zero bodywork removal.

To get the filter out, you use one of these. To get the new filter in, you pour in some new oil, tip the filter to the side and rotate it to allow the oil to seep in. Then simply thread the filter through the cowl and fit it on the threads. It really is easy!fc-04.jpg

• Member Contributer

A 2006 must be quite a bit different from a 1999. There's no way to access the filter without removing the side fairing on my '99. Heck, you can't even see it. LOL

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Tonylmiller said:

If you don't remove any fairings, doesn't the oil from the filter run down into the bottom of the fairings?

Nope. A tiny bit on the headers, but you can wipe or burn it off.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

A 2006 must be quite a bit different from a 1999. There's no way to access the filter without removing the side fairing on my '99. Heck, you can't even see it. LOL

You can't really see it on the 6th gen either, but you can feel it. I don't have small hands and it can be done.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Tonylmiller said:

If you don't remove any fairings, doesn't the oil from the filter run down into the bottom of the fairings?

Its all about technique so not a drop drips on to your prize... Fashion a bib out of tin foil so the oil travels in the pan and not on the bike... crack the filter loose to meter the flow to only a slow trickle... once the filter is clear of the threads turn the open end up so the rest of the oil is trapped... remove filter...

20 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Its all about technique so not a drop drips on to your prize... Fashion a bib out of tin foil so the oil travels in the pan and not on the bike... crack the filter loose to meter the flow to only a slow trickle... once the filter is clear of the threads turn the open end up so the rest of the oil is trapped... remove filter...

I'll try that next time. Thanks. 

• Member Contributer
On 7/31/2016 at 10:43 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

If the bike is on the sidestand then oil will puddle away from the main drain plug and won't drain out. Centerstand works best. You probably won't leave much in there on the sidestand, but why leave any?

So you're saying with the bike on the side stand the oil pools in the front left portion of the pan (since the drain plug is located on the left rear on 6th gen)? Could very well be.  Next time I change the oil I will drain it from the center stand, put the plug back in and put the bike on the side stand and see how much more, if any, comes out).

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

OK changed the oil last weekend and drained it on the center stand and let it drain until there was a drip about every 4 seconds.  Put the drain plug back in and put the bike on the sidestand and let it drain into a Red Solo cup (let's have a party) until there was a drip about every four seconds.  Extracted approximately 3 additional ounces of used oil.

Archived