Just installed an LED in the front parking light as a DRL - Works well!

Got myself one of these from good old ebay.

The idea was to turn the parking light in to a daytime running light, and maybe a more effective parking light for the same power draw. Not that i've ever needed the parking light... (required in the UK when parking on a road with a speed limit of 40mph or more, but i'd just park off the road).

I also bought one of this type of LED to try. Couldn't really get it back in to the headlight without dislodging it from the housing, and i had concerns about the top mounted LED causing heat problems as it'd be less than 5mm from a plastic part directly above the bulb.

Next up: Brake light LEDs.

2016-07-27_DRL.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've long been an advocate of ultra-bright "sidelights"/"parking lights"/"position lights" on motorcycles, due to the propensity of the low beam cut-off to appear to oncoming drivers as a "please turn in front of me" flashing headlight signal if the brakes are applied and fork-dive causes the front of the bike to dip.  The sidelight does not have a cut-off mechanism, so is not subject to this potentially dangerous misunderstanding.  I have used high-wattage wedge bulbs (21w 921, I think) from autolumination in the past, but these require a slight enlargement of the mounting hole, due to the larger diameter of the bulb.  I haven't looked at LEDs for this application, but they may be ideal for it.

Ciao,

They seem pretty ideal from a visibility stand-point.

Might look into some kind of wiring alteration to have the front side/parking, and rear lights on when either no lights or side-lights are selected, to bring it up to modern standards. Though i'll end-up needing some technical direction for that one before i set about my wiring loom...

Archived