134 members have voted

1. 1. What age range are you.

• 18 - 29
    • 30 - 39
    • 41 - 49
    • 50 - 59
    • 60 +

• Member Contributer

Woo Hoo I am in the majority! Physically old, Mentally an infant : )

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Being solidly in the "baby boomer" generation, I can honestly say that riding my VFR is my fountain of youth.  Nothing makes me feel 19 again like a spirited ride.  The kicker is that my son rides a Harley.  That's how dysfunctional my family has become!

Love this thread.... All so true.... Not really sure how being 60 should feel, but when I'm on my bike I feel a shit load younger with a ear ta ear grin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were not the results I expected when creating this thread.  Being 58 myself, it's nice to see I'm in the majority of the rider ages here.  So for those riders in the last 2 groups, does the bike's egos fit you well for longer or touring type rides - or have you modified the ergos (Heli-bars, peg lowering, etc.) to better fit you?  I bought a new '03 VFR and had it for a year before trading it in for a '04 ST1300.  I traded it in then because the ST was better suited for 2-up riding which my wife wanted to do.  But I loved that VFR and added Heli-bars and a Corbin seat - at 6'1" with a 33" inseam, the bike then fit me perfectly and comfortably.

Now I'm getting ready to pick up a new 2015 VFR and I'm thinking I'll be needing the bar risers for sure.  I'm ordering the Honda risers, but I also plan on getting the 1.25" risers being sold by a member here.  So I'm curious how the bike's ergos fit the 45+ age riders here.

I've owned VFRs since '06 - at the ripe old age of 23. 32 these days, so definitely on the young end.

If you like going far and going fast there's no better alternative. Jury's out on whether I'll make it to the next age bracket haha

• Member Contributer
On 2016-07-26 at 3:27 PM, mello dude said:

Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional

Peter Pan has always been my biggest hero: Never Grow Up

If I had only known, would have owned a motorcycle many, many, many years before I made the mid-life plunge in 2008. Have just entered the majority age group in this poll.  so much lost time to make up for  ; )

This needs more polling IMO, like age, number of bikes, age of bikes, DIY or dealer serviced, commuter/tourer/racer/coffeegetter, garage kept/outside kept :P

• Member Contributer
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Rambler358 said:

These were not the results I expected when creating this thread.  Being 58 myself, it's nice to see I'm in the majority of the rider ages here.  So for those riders in the last 2 groups, does the bike's egos fit you well for longer or touring type rides - or have you modified the ergos (Heli-bars, peg lowering, etc.) to better fit you?  I bought a new '03 VFR and had it for a year before trading it in for a '04 ST1300.  I traded it in then because the ST was better suited for 2-up riding which my wife wanted to do.  But I loved that VFR and added Heli-bars and a Corbin seat - at 6'1" with a 33" inseam, the bike then fit me perfectly and comfortably.

Now I'm getting ready to pick up a new 2015 VFR and I'm thinking I'll be needing the bar risers for sure.  I'm ordering the Honda risers, but I also plan on getting the 1.25" risers being sold by a member here.  So I'm curious how the bike's ergos fit the 45+ age riders here.

2000 VFR fifth gen, stock ergos, no mods.  Came to the VFR from a Honda Pacific Coast (definitely an upright riding position.)  I like the riding position of the VFR.  Done several 600 mile, 13 hour+ days on my bike.  Not saying I didn't feel it by the end of the day, but not enough to make me want to go out and buy risers, aftermarket seat, etc.

10 minutes ago, jeffyjeff said:

2000 VFR fifth gen, stock ergos, no mods.  Came to the VFR from a Honda Pacific Coast (definitely an upright riding position.)  I like the riding position of the VFR.  Done several 600 mile, 13 hour+ days on my bike.  Not saying I didn't feel it by the end of the day, but not enough to make me want to go out and buy risers, aftermarket seat, etc.

Good to hear.  I'd guess you don't have any back pain issues or such.  I get some minor back pain when hunched over for a time (gardening, shoveling, etc.), so that's why I went with the risers.

I have arthritis in my back (at only 28, I'm not looking forward to old age), I have to plan my life around it and always careful how I move, but I've never found the riding position to be hard on my back. After about 80 minutes, though, my ass is starting to really bother me.

• Member Contributer

at 56 years young, I prefer the position on 4th or 5th gen with heli's over the too upright fz09 (for sale). But I must say, the fjr1300 (sold) had ideal iron butt ergo's. Many 1000+ mile days on it, but a tad heavy... 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I have arthritis in my back (at only 28, I'm not looking forward to old age), I have to plan my life around it and always careful how I move, but I've never found the riding position to be hard on my back. After about 80 minutes, though, my ass is starting to really bother me.

I have the same back problem but at much more than 28 y. o.  I feel for you man.  I found a good chiropractor (rare thing) and she did wonders.  Don't go under the knife until you can't live another day with it.  The stock riding position is good for my back and likely would be for anyone if they built up core and leg muscles.  I think Honda did a great job, at least for me of designing the ergos on the bike.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

At 5 foot seven inches, this 2001 in stock form fits me well. It takes a little time in the spring to build my core back up but once in shape it actually improves my bad back issues. At 67, 500 mi days are rare but 300 comes pretty easy. But being retired, I'm in no hurry, so shorter days are just fine. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I wonder how many VFR riders are 40?  I wonder, because there's no "40" in the options!  ("Senior moment" on the part of the OP?)  :goofy:

I was reading about Ben Bostrom's recent finish of the Kona Ironman triathalon (the world's toughest and most prestigious such event--entry by qualification only), which he did in part as a tribute to his late training partner, Dave Mirra, and noticed that the oldest finisher this year was EIGHTY THREE years old: A Japanese guy called Hiromu Inada.  Way to grow old, Hiromu-san!

Anyway, I've decided that I shall henceforth be counting my birthdays by tens, which means I intend to stay "about 50" for the next nine years.  Who says I can't?  :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Everyone always calls my VFRs old man bikes, but I just think that they don't have as refined of taste is all. :D

I'm early 30s and wouldn't really consider any other motorbike at this stage.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, thtanner said:

Everyone always calls my VFRs old man bikes, but I just think that they don't have as refined of taste is all. :D

Well said young man. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

54 and on my 2nd stock 6th gen. Like many, started on a Kawasaki G5 100, then shipped overseas and bought a new '83 Yamaha 750 Seca, then a '76 Yamaha XT500. Loooong dry spell until I could get the VFR I'd been drooling over for years. Best.Money.I.Ever.Spent. Am younger now than when I first threw a leg over it. At times wish I could pop wheelies or had a quicker start, but it's exactly as fast as I need it to be, and can ride as long as my two touring brothers with a BMW R1200RT and FJR1300, and I look cooler doing it, lol. I am averaging about 10,000 miles a year - I have a short commute but ride at every opportunity. A brother and I always make a good long (1200-1500 mile) ride every year and I hate pulling in the driveway at the end.

KAW G5100 2.JPG

Yamaha XJ750 Seca 2.JPG

Yamaha XT500 1.JPG

P1020646.JPG

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, TedJake said:

54 and on my 2nd stock 6th gen. Like many, started on a Kawasaki G5 100, then shipped overseas and bought a new '83 Yamaha 750 Seca, then a '76 Yamaha XT500. Loooong dry spell until I could get the VFR I'd been drooling over for years. Best.Money.I.Ever.Spent. Am younger now than when I first threw a leg over it. At times wish I could pop wheelies or had a quicker start, but it's exactly as fast as I need it to be, and can ride as long as my two touring brothers with a BMW R1200RT and FJR1300, and I look cooler doing it, lol. I am averaging about 10,000 miles a year - I have a short commute but ride at every opportunity. A brother and I always make a good long (1200-1500 mile) ride every year and I hate pulling in the driveway at the end.

KAW G5100 2.JPG

Those were the days!  Poppin' a wheelie wearing bell bottom jeans, no helmet and no license!  I always felt like a total hooligan.  It's amazing I survived it.  

As for the VFR - they think it's an "old man's bike" - that is until they hear it.  Then they all want to know what it is.  He who laughs last laughs best! 

• Member Contributer

33 this month. Took me 11 motorcycles before I finally figured out that I should own a VFR. I sure do like it!

Incidentally, I bought mine on my birthday.

Archived