Oil Level increased after oil change ?!!

raoufhakam

Quick background: bike has 82,000km (51,000Miles), have had it for over 2 years and put on it 25,000km myself and have been used Motul 5100 (Synthetic-Blend) since bought it Oil Level always been razor sharp between oil changes and never increased or decreased at all. changed oil yesterday with engine warm after a ride with Shell Advance Ultra (Fully-Synthetic), start it up, warm it, turn off, waited few minutes then filled it to the upper line as usual, took the bike out for a ride today about 50 km, when i got home, put the bike on centre-stand, waited on oil to settle while i take my helmet and gear off, checked the oil level and it was about 1/8" (3-4 mm) above the upper line !! :O

IMG_20160724_202907.jpg

grabbed the MityVac and sucked out around 250-300mL to bring it back to the upper line (check images attached):

IMG_20160724_204029.jpg

oil vacuumed out smelled like fresh oil, doesn't smell or look like its contaminated with fuel or coolant, or not that i was able to notice at least. any idea whats going on here, bike runs and works fine, no signs or feel of anything abnormal

• Member Contributer

The volume of 4 quarts of motor oil at 60F will increase by  0.2184 quarts when raised to 200F.

The oil does not get hot just running at idle a few minutes. Riding 50 KM the oil WILL be hot and probably expands enough from the heat to raise the level 1/8th inch.

• Member Contributer

The oil level should be checked with the engine cold. If as you state you ran the bike then topped up before riding again, then waited a few minutes whilst de-knitting before checking again, then that's your problem. The oil expands when hot & you checked it after a ride, which means it will always be a little higher than when cold. Did you check the oil level the following morning ?  Always check with bike cold, on level ground.

only bikes I know that should be checked after a few minutes running are dry sump bikes that leak down so have to be run before checking the level in the oil tank !

Hmmm, guess you were right folks, just went to check my oil level now, its been sitting and cooled down for about 7-8 hours, and oil level went down from upper line (second image in original post) to roughly 2mm below that. ..! :/

IMG_20160725_034216.jpg

Looks like i just wasted some of my fresh oil then.

Its weird that its the first time i notice that actually, i've been always checking oil level on the VFR and any bike i've owned before or after rides,hot or cold and never noticed any noticeable change in oil level due to being hot or cold like that. You learn a new thing everyday i guess ...

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

The oil level should be checked with the engine cold. If as you state you ran the bike then topped up before riding again, then waited a few minutes whilst de-knitting before checking again, then that's your problem. The oil expands when hot & you checked it after a ride, which means it will always be a little higher than when cold. Did you check the oil level the following morning ?  Always check with bike cold, on level ground.

only bikes I know that should be checked after a few minutes running are dry sump bikes that leak down so have to be run before checking the level in the oil tank !

The owners manual and service manual specifically state to run the bike for several minutes, let it settle for a couple minutes, then check the oil. It appears that Honda wants the hot state, with the oil galleys somewhat filled, as the reference point.

Archived