Aerostitch Elkskin Gloves

Bent

• Member Contributer

Anyone have and use Aerostitch Elkskin Gloves?  If so, what do you think?  Are they hot, cold, comfortable, etc.?  

I've been riding a long time and have yet to find gloves I really like.  Thanks! 

• Member Contributer

I have the gauntlets with the touch screen finger.  I like them for commuting because they are easy on easy off.  Trackdays I use trackday gloves ~$200 gloves...but I like the Elkskin for feel and comfort.  There's minimal padding on the knuckle and I've crashed a pair--pinched my pinky...they are tough, but not the protection of an armored glove...pick your poison.  They aren't cold or warm...they breathe well for leather gloves, the finger cut is not tight, so there's always a little room to prespire and it helps keep things from getting too hot.  Mine are slightly big for my hands (I have big hands) and if I put a thin liner on I can wear these down to 45-50F with heated grips...keeps the back of my hands from getting too cold.  

Does that help?

Matt

Haymarket, VA

I've been using the same pair of Aerostich Elkskin Ropers for ~15 years.

I commute in all weather.   When the temperature gets below freezing I will use a different brand of insulated, gore-tex gloves for my commute.  With my heated grips, I am comfortable in the Elkskin Ropers down to freezing for my 15 mile, all-highway commute.   For longer trips, I keep both pairs handy.  I absolutely love my Elkskin Ropers.  I've never tried the gauntlet length.   In my opinion, my gloves got better and better as time and years and wet-dry cycles went on.   They fit somewhat loosely when I initially bought them.   But after all these years, they literally "fit like a glove" should.  To me, the thickness is confidence inspiring.   If you are looking for padding and armor on your gloves then these are not for you.   But you will get tons of abrasion resistance from these gloves.

I condition my Elkskin Ropers with Lexol at least once a year (usually more) to keep them supple.  I also melt in Sno-Seal as needed to give them some (minor) degree of waterproofing.   To my mind the Lexol is very important, as I feel the gloves dry out over time due to the wet, dry cycle that I subject them to.  Over the years the gloves have gained a beautiful patina and smell that I have grown to love.   

I took a spill at SumSum3 in Montrose, CO last year.  I slid ~40 or 50 foot.   The gloves were not breached and I have continued to ride with them, but after finally settling with insurance I have ordered a new pair that will be delivered with my new Aerostich suit.  I'll be honest, I will not be as happy with my new gloves as I am with my old ones.   But I figure in about 3-5 years, I will be back to the patina that I love.

Aerostich has a very liberal return policy.  If it were me, I would order them, get a pair on your hands and look them over and then make your decision.

• Member Contributer

I have been using Competition Elkskin Ropers for years.  They are my go to gloves for almost every ride. The competition variant have some extra padding with modest gauntlets.

gallery_2144_7292_2707665.jpg

I am on my second pair after I lost my first pair on a dual sport trip in Death Valley. I did not consider alternative gloves and went back to the Aerostich well.  I have some "higher tech" race ventilated gloves but never wear them anymore including in very hot conditions.  On tour I also take my Gore Tex insulated gloves for harsh wet & very cold conditions but for everything else I ride with the ropers.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys.  That's kind of what I expected to hear about them.  Aerostitch makes some good stuff but have just never experienced elkskin.  In with them, out with the old.  Thanks!

Archived