VFR800 test ride review

Blake

Just got back from a test ride on a 2014 standard vfr800. Total ride was about 40 min. I'm 6'2" 195 with longish limbs.

I felt the weight of the bike immediately but it was easy enough to get used to and not really a problem. I understand what I've heard about moving it around in the garage, gotta be careful.  Oh the seat was set at the high setting, that seems to be the default.

So ergonomics for me we're pretty good, I must admit that I was concerned about it before the test ride. My legs were fine and didn't feel cramped even though they're longish, folding my legs tight doesn't seem to bother me, knees are still pretty good. Reach to bars was longer than I'm used to and did put some pressure mostly on my right hand and wrist, but not too bad really. A set of riser blocks would deal with this I think. I did find I could move around fore and aft on the seat which changed both leg and arm position. Motorcycle ergonomics sure are subjective and you have to make adjustments depending on your body. 

I thought the ride was really good the suspension was a little firm but not sharp and handled the bumps well. I rode some sweeping curves at a good speed and the bike was well planted and confidence inspiring. The crosswind during the turn didn't upset the bike at all. Cool! Really well composed. I had a few minutes to take it over to an empty parking lot for some figure 8s and the turning radius seemed good. The bike handled well at slow speeds no problems. 

The transmission was really nice, I was really impressed. The short precise throw made up and down shifting dreamy. Rev matching on downshifts seemed easier and more precise. Really liked that. The front brake was really good but didn't seem exceptional, the rear break seemed really feckless when I first used it but after a while seemed to work better. I'm not sure if this was me getting used to it or it working better. Clutch was a little hard. 

I hand and a chance during the ride to " give it some beans" and found it to be fast enough for me. Vtec kicks in and off it goes up to 90 in no time. I don't require a bike that's any faster, but that's me of course. 

I'm probably going to buy a 2014 deluxe the dealer has in a warehouse. 2015 is 12000 with no budging on price. Things in New York are higher than elsewhere so it's $11200 plus sales tax and registration fee. No other add ons by dealer. I think I'll buy it, seems a decent deal and I really like the bike. don't have the time to look for a better deal in another part of the country. 

Would apprecate your comments as always

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, thecat said:

Go with the delux.. Adjustable suspension front and rear will pay off.

+1 

I came to my VFR from a BMW F800ST, the bouncy forks on that drove me crazy compared my 20yr old CBR600 forks

With a bit of quick adjustment my suspension is now perfect, if there had been no adjustment on the VFR I wouldn't have bought it 

23 hours ago, Blake said:

I rode some sweeping curves at a good speed and the bike was well planted and confidence inspiring.

Just wait until you put some decent tires on it.  I just put some Q3's on today after riding the stock Dunlops for 4k.  All I did was ride it home from the shop about 15 miles, and I took it easy since the tires were new...but OMG, I can already say it is like a different bike. 

I will definitely buy the deluxe model. I like having ABS and heated grips, center stand etc. I'll get the pearl white, it looks really good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just sold my 98. Am ready to test ride this new VFR and the Ninja 1000 as a possible replacement. 

My FZ1 is amazing but I am only getting 98 miles between fuel up due to it's state of tune.

I sort of am drawn to bikes with enough range and comfort to ride all day.

Hi Capt. Bob

you won't be unhappy with the new vfr's range. 21 liter tank, I got 4.9l per 100 km average carrying a pillion and 22 plus kg in bag on tail rack  during a close to 2000 km ride over 11 days earlier this year. 

• Member Contributer

I have about 2100 miles on mine now. The only gripe I have is the hydraulic clutch. It is tough. I was caught in stop and go traffic the other day for a ways, I thought my hand was gonna fall off! Lol

I get about 51 mpg commuting 80 mile round trip. I was impressed, this is as good as my FZ6.

• Member Contributer

In the comparos they ranked it below the Ninja 1000 because it was down on power compared to it. I was like ya, it's an 800 v 1000. If I buy one it is for sport touring and commuting. I have two awesome play bikes in the FZ1 and Street Triple. So mileage between fill ups and comfort as well as competence is more of an immediate concern.  50 mpg is amazing in a bike of this size and capabilities. I will test ride a new one then maybe by the time I can afford to buy one a lightly used and loved one will come up on the market for me to snap up.  

On 2 August 2016 at 11:41 PM, thecat said:

Hi Capt. Bob

you won't be unhappy with the new vfr's range. 21 liter tank, I got 4.9l per 100 km average carrying a pillion and 22 plus kg in bag on tail rack  during a close to 2000 km ride over 11 days earlier this year. 

We get 52MPG (US Gallons) doing +70mph 

Archived