hello! im new here and actually new to posting on forms completely for that matter! i search and read thru them allot. and have gotten some good info from here so i figured i would give it a shot and see if i can get some extra direction or info! i bought a 1997 vfr 750 from a friend that owns a local bike shop. it was dropped off a U-Haul truck while trying to load it and bent the tail pretty bad so it was a perfect start for what i wanted to do, i already planned on building a custom tail. im a welder fabricator for work and went to technical collage for motorcycle technology and have owned many bikes and still own all types of bike so im not new to any of this but can always use advice from people who have more knowledge on a specific bike. so some info on the bike... when i got it home first thing i did was charge the battery fresh fuel and fired it up ran great! good start, then i striped it of all of its outdated ugly plastics! haha went over the whole bike completely i mean EVERYTHING! found the forks are bent son they came off one of the clipons was cracked so i ordered risers and dirtbike bars and went that rout because that was the plan anyways. did the pair blockoff and got fid of all of that crap. and started on the tail. i started with a ducati monster seat. had to get a little creative on bending the square tubing for the tail ;) but it came out great. i then made the undertail skin and box. im now in the middle of thinning out wiring and figuring all of that out. taht brings me here. right now im planning the dash. i wanna do a minimalistic dash few led lighsts thats it. dont think im going to do any gauges. all i want is a low fuel light signal light high beam light side stand maybe... i cant figure out the low fuel light.. so this is where im stuck. i have SOOOOO many more pictures i will probably add in the morning just wanted to start it up and see if i get any responses. THANKS!!!!

vfr8.jpg

vfr9.jpg

vfr7.jpg

vfr6.jpg

vfr4.jpg

vfr3.jpg

vfr5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Looking good so far. There have been a few builds on here that went the naked/street fighter look. I'm sure if you search you can find those build threads and PM the builder for info. Fellow member Sebspeed built a kick ass ride and it was even featured in a magazine, I think he actually just put it up for sale too. Good luck with your build and of course, keep posting those pics!

the pictures will continue to roll in. all these pictures where a few weeks old. where i am now at a standstill with some of the wiring. deciding what to keep and what to ditch. ive searched and searched but cant find the exact diagram or pinout i need from the dash. i need to know the high beam indicator wire, turn signal indicator, neutral indicator wire sidestand indicator, and hoping for a low fuel light wondering if anyone has had luck running a low fuel light? any info will help so much!

3 hours ago, royboy347 said:

the pictures will continue to roll in. all these pictures where a few weeks old. where i am now at a standstill with some of the wiring. deciding what to keep and what to ditch. ive searched and searched but cant find the exact diagram or pinout i need from the dash. i need to know the high beam indicator wire, turn signal indicator, neutral indicator wire sidestand indicator, and hoping for a low fuel light wondering if anyone has had luck running a low fuel light? any info will help so much!

Welcome! Great project. Keep the pictures coming. I'll attach a picture of the dash wiring. If you can't make out the wire colours, let me know.

Cheers,

Glenn

94+ Dash Wiring.jpg

94+ Wiring Legend.jpg

Wow awsome! Now my concern is making them work worth leds. Because it's listing specific watts wondering if it will work with led? I know

Sometimes it has to be a certain draw to work?

7 hours ago, royboy347 said:

Wow awsome! Now my concern is making them work worth leds. Because it's listing specific watts wondering if it will work with led? I know

Sometimes it has to be a certain draw to work?

LED's will work fine. The wattage values relate to the brightness. You want the highest lumens you can get in the bulb size - T5 or T10 type? - not sure which, but suspect T5. The exception may be the one for High Beam - too bright may be annoying at night. Don't buy white bulbs. Get the correct red, blue, green and amber for the bulb lenses.

Cheers,

Glenn

also.  with these bars im running i can make everything work except the throttle cables. i searched but also couldn't find much. i need maybe 3-4" longer cables. anyone have suggestions on what cables would work?? Thanks!!

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, royboy347 said:

also.  with these bars im running i can make everything work except the throttle cables. i searched but also couldn't find much. i need maybe 3-4" longer cables. anyone have suggestions on what cables would work?? Thanks!!

Honda ST-1100 cables i believe are the ones that will work.

• Member Contributer

I don't think the ST1100 changed much over the years, nor the ST1300. 

Ciao,

13 hours ago, royboy347 said:

i just read i think it was sebspeed said he couldn't get the low fuel light to work. just wondering what the problem was? 

I just remembered that when I was putting LED's in my Trophy I was told if I had a low fuel light (actually the previous generation Trophy) I would need to put in a regular incandescent bulb for that. I don't know now if the LED issue was the light not coming on or not shutting off.

Archived