ECN Down

• Member Contributer

I’m very sorry to report that Ed ‘ECN’ crashed badly this past July 3rd.  I was not on the ride but reports are that the road they were on had a lot of construction and lane-closures/shifts.  Apparently (and this information may be incorrect) an oncoming driver in an SUV failed to go back to their lane and remained in the oncoming lane as Ed (the lead rider) entered a right-hand blind turn.  They impacted head-on and he was seriously injured.  

I do not know the specifics or extent of his injuries, but I do know he was airlifted to a trauma center and was comatose (I do NOT know if it was induced)...but to my understanding he is breathing on his own and the very nice nurse in the ICU advised that he was in surgery so I hope that suggests he’s on the mend and out of immediate danger.  

A fellow rider and online friend of Ed’s posted a GoFundMe page to help Ed’s family through this crisis.  If you’re able to kick in a few bucks it would be appreciated.  

I met Ed on VFRD and he’s a friendly, kind, funny and warm guy that I really enjoy riding with.  He’s quick with a laugh and has a dry, clever sense of humor that makes him a hoot to be around.  

https://www.gofundme.com/2cpfmpwu

This one hits close to me - he was on a pre-July 4th ride and his life changed in an instant.  Please everyone - ride / drive safe and tell your friends and family to THINK about what’s around that next corner.  I’m sure that SUV driver didn’t intend anything wrong, but if things happened as reported their moment of inattention or poor driving had tragic consequences.  

Thanks for hearing me out. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks for letting us know. I rode with Ed on two occasions and we even shared a camp site on one of our Sirerra rides. I hope he can pull through and heals up quick. Any updates you can provide over time would be much appreciated.

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Thanks for letting us know. I rode with Ed on two occasions and we even shared a camp site on one of our Sirerra rides. I hope he can pull through and heals up quick. Any updates you can provide over time would be much appreciated.

I’ll try - I want to tread lightly and not badger his caregivers or family but I’ll try to keep the VFRD community up to date.  

• Member Contributer

We're all so close to this every time we ride.

Thank goodness it sounds hopeful.

• Member Contributer

Here's hoping he heals up fast. This could happen to any of us. Very disconcerting.

• Member Contributer

Dammitsomuch, hope Ed heals completely. 

• Member Contributer

I have been on three rides with Ed and he is one of the nicest guys on two wheels. My thoughts are with him, hope he pulls through, quickly!

• Member Contributer

This was posted on another board last week summarizing Ed’s condition:

Yesterday Ed has a surgery to take care of the major breaks he sustained in the accident. This includes his femur, ankle, lower leg, and shoulder. His face, base of his skull, and hands are another story. Ed is out of surgery. The orthopedic surgeon took care of everything that he wanted to. So that includes his femur, lower leg, ankle and shoulder. This is good news. He was elevated the whole time and whenever his icp went up it went back down without need for additional medication. Hopefully this means that they can move forward with giving him food sand removing the breathing tube within the next week. The surgeon and his associates will be checking up on ed every day for the next 4 -5 days to check his ankle which is still swollen from surgery and has a rather large incision Another added benefit of this surgery being complete is that he will be much more easily transportable due to the traction no longer being needed. And after his ankle incision has closed, he will be less susceptible to infection. The road ahead for ed is still very rocky but this is good news. He is still in a coma and on life support but his cat scan this morning was similar to yesterdays. This is good because that means his brain trauma hasn't gotten worse. His bleeding has decreased dramatically as well. I'll try to continue to update you as soon as I get time to

I’ve not heard any further specifics, but it’s clear this is not a short-term recovery Ed’s facing.  

Again, if you have the means and are so inclined please consider donating to the GoFundMe link as I’m sure it will help.  Thank you.  

Son of a... This is terrible news. Not sure how I missed this thread.

Ridden with Ed on at least 10 rides. Nicest guy in the world.

Hate to hear this.

" An hour earlier, another crash happened east of Sprig Lake, where a 2014 Honda Pilot heading west in an eastbound lane collided head-on with a 1998 Honda motorcycle, CHP officials said. The motorcyclist, a 60-year-old San Jose man, suffered major injuries and was transported to Regional Medical Center of San Jose. The SUV driver, a 32-year-old Van Nuys woman, was not hurt in the collision. "

Be safe out there everybody. That could've been any of us. Wishing Ed (and his wife) the very best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow, I just met Ed on the last highway 120/4 ride. Yes, super nice guy, we rode back with Greg since we are all Southbay dwellers. My thoughts and prayers are with he and his family, as I hope he pulls through this and can ride again.

• Member Contributer

Just heard about Ed's unfortunate accident.  Let me echo the others;  Ed is a great guy.  So sorry to hear of his crash, and hopeful for a speedy and complete recovery.  Anybody know if he has gained consciousness yet?  It's been a little over 3 weeks since his accident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone hear anything more on Ed's situation? I hope and pray he is improving, and makes a full recovery! I was at Bass Pro Shops this weekend to get some Carhartt pants with my son, and it struck me that's where I first met Ed before our ride. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So sad to hear about Ed... I hope he's OK and heals quickly. He is a regular on our Nor-Cal rides... We've ridden with Ed several times and hope to have many more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Everyone,

I’m sorry for the silence - we were out of town for a while and I frankly had not heard much in the way of news to share.  Ed was released from the hospital some weeks ago and has been at a rehabilitation facility.  One of the guys on that fateful ride has been keeping in touch with his family and just sent me this:

The doctors updated us on his condition this weekend. They have determined that he is in a "minimally conscious state". That means he has progressed past a coma and vegatative state. He cannot talk but he does seem to be able to follow some commands (but not consistently.) He seems to be able to see people and sometimes he can look at the person who is talking. He is still stuck in his bed and his movement is limited to his eyes and right hand. But the doctors are able to get him in a wheelchair for a couple hours a day. Doctors give his worst case scenario as him staying like he is now. And the best case as him becoming semi independent. Needing a caretaker during the day. He wouldn't be the same. Different personality and capabilities. But depending on the recovery of the right half of his brain he may be able to get around on his own (with supervision). The next two weeks are going to be tell tale in the likely outcome of his recovery. We are looking for some sign that the right half of his brain (which controls the left half his body which has yet to move) makes some recovery Whatever the case is, I'm excited and hopeful. This is some pretty good news.

While not the recovery news I’d hoped for, it’s wonderful to hear that he’s improving and I’m sure his family and loved ones appreciate any good vibes you can send their way.  As others have said, Ed is the kind of rider folks love being around and just a great guy.  

• Member Contributer

Thanks Porrada. Really hoping he'll get better over time. Glad to hear that he is at least out of a coma. Wishing him all the best!

• Member Contributer

I tried to send him some money on the GoFundMe account in the first post, but got an error message telling me to contact the orgainzer.  Porrada, could you please mention this to his family? 

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

+1

I woke up around 3am this morning, my broken wrist in its cast giving me grief.

So I fired up vfrd for some relief, coming across this topic again.

I am not a self pity man to begin with,  but in light of ECN I vouch I never will be.

I will gladly support him.

What transpired with my crash in Lithuania was pure luck/chance...

Porrada thank you, I know all of us NorCal guys have had Ed in our collective thoughts.

Great news, for sure. Sounds like it will be a helluva recovery, but all things considered it sounds like progress.

• Member Contributer

Yes, thanks for the news! Good to hear he is going in the right direction, and I hope his progress continues. Ed is one heck of a guy, and he will be missed by all during our ride and we will certainly raise a pint or two in his honor!

• Member Contributer

Dutchy / JZH - thanks for the heads up.  I am not personally involved with the GoFundMe aside from donating, but the guy that did start it is on another board.  I’ll let him know of the issue.  

Edit: I just tried the link (https://www.gofundme.com/2cpfmpwu) and it worked for me...can you please PM me with what you’re seeing (or maybe it’s fixed).  

• Member Contributer

Pm sent

Same error message as before....

Keen to help a VFRD brother (I've never met but that is of no importance)

Archived