1000F run without fuel pump?

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

I had a bit of an accident with my attempts to fix a POs bodge, and consequently I snapped the outlet off the fuel pump. While I wait for a replacement I was wondering if these bikes will run without it, just relying on gravity if I keep plenty of fuel in the tank?

cheers

• Member Contributer

It's not fuel injected, so as long as there's sufficient weight of petrol in the tank to create enough pressure to fill the float bowls I don't see why not.  It's worth a go with some fuel line, methinks.

Ciao,

I believe the STANDARD answer to this common question is, yes, but the lines must be routed without sharp bends or kinks, and the last 1/3 of the tank might not pick up.

• 1 month later...

I recently replaced the fuel pump on by FF with a generic pattern one. Any place that does older Honda stuff should have one.

I used some elbow connectors and changed the fuel filter too and with some very flexible fuel hose, managed to get it all to fit in the space.

That said, I'm told that Yamahas of the same period (mid to late 80s) have fuel pumps with the elbow bends onboard, but they may have a different connector.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that. I ended up also getting an aftermarket unit, and it seems to be working fine. Peace of mind at least.

cheers

ian

One other thing I established in my little experience is that the fuel cut off relay from the VF the CF304 is interchangeable with the CF318 which is featured on the earl CBR6 and VFR750s and so are much more plentiful.

Archived