Range of the 8th Gen

Ok, a bit of a latecomer to this thread but, here goes.

Just picked up my new (to me) 2015 VFR800F and am commuting 140 miles a day on it. Question is, has anyone got less than 210 miles in normal riding (ie some fast, some busy town stuff but not track)? I ask as I am trying to decide whether to be brave and not fill up before I set off home tonight!

Oh, loving the bike :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Katie said:

Ok, a bit of a latecomer to this thread but, here goes.

Just picked up my new (to me) 2015 VFR800F and am commuting 140 miles a day on it. Question is, has anyone got less than 210 miles in normal riding (ie some fast, some busy town stuff but not track)? I ask as I am trying to decide whether to be brave and not fill up before I set off home tonight!

Oh, loving the bike :)

Where you live there are always loads of fuel stations so I wouldn't worry. You will get at least 30 miles after the light comes on.

11 minutes ago, fink said:

Where you live there are always loads of fuel stations so I wouldn't worry.

Ha, you wish! We have lots of roads and lots of vehicles but the other bit is mostly missing from my route. If I get this wrong I could be looking at a 10-15 mile walk...

Talking of which, when does the fuel gauge start flashing? Is it when there is one bar left or is when that bar has gone and the bit that has 'E' on it flashes? 

As soon as it's finished the second-to-last bar, the last bar starts flashing and the fuel light comes on. Got to that point this morning as it happens, 203 miles after the previous fill-up. I reckon on a max of 30 miles after that but I've never put it to the test. 

• Member Contributer

Is there no Average Fuel Consumption readout on the dash of the F model? There is on the X model. Makes it easy to work out tank range, irrespective of when the last bar starts flashing. Mine has always been pretty accurate so I can easily work out when to fill up, which is usually with around 10 miles left on my 101-mile commute.

3 minutes ago, Skids said:

Is there no Average Fuel Consumption readout on the dash of the F model? There is on the X model. Makes it easy to work out tank range, irrespective of when the last bar starts flashing. Mine has always been pretty accurate so I can easily work out when to fill up, which is usually with around 10 miles left on my 101-mile commute.

Heyup Skids,

I didn't get the owners manual with mine so I don't know what features I'm missing out on.  How are you work it out - just using the average against how much you put in!

1 hour ago, fatshoutybloke said:

As soon as it's finished the second-to-last bar, the last bar starts flashing and the fuel light comes on. Got to that point this morning as it happens, 203 miles after the previous fill-up. I reckon on a max of 30 miles after that but I've never put it to the test. 

Okay, that's helpful. I've been watching the gauge go down ( :wink: ) and it seems to be about 30 miles for every bar so I may have to stop before I hit the 210 miles mark. Now, where's that google search for petrol stations...

40 minutes ago, StubyDoo said:

Heyup Skids,

I didn't get the owners manual with mine so I don't know what features I'm missing out on.  How are you work it out - just using the average against how much you put in!

Here you go...

https://www.manualagent.com/honda/2014-vfr800fe/owners-manual

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Katie said:

Ha, you wish! We have lots of roads and lots of vehicles but the other bit is mostly missing from my route. If I get this wrong I could be looking at a 10-15 mile walk...

Counted at least 13 in a 10 mile radius of Oxford.   Sure beats my closest of 44miles. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, fatshoutybloke said:

It's about that reckon I had just about half a litre left in from a rideout last year. Can't remember the mileage exactly but counting down from the light flashing was scary.  It's the only time on a group rideout where I skipped the "stop every 100 miles "for fuel rule. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

Heyup Skids,

If you go to Honda Australia you can download an owners manual from there. In fact google 2014 vfr owners manual and the link will come up. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

Heyup Skids,

Easy m8....10 miles/litre average consumption is 208 miles on the X (20.8 litre tank). For every .1 mile/litre above that, it's an extra mile on the tank.

Clearly these are very rough figures which vary the further away you get from 10mi/lt but they're good enough.

Tomorrow, I will fill up with 204 miles done and 9 miles remaining. I only ever fill to full.

6 hours ago, Skids said:

Yes, there is an Average Fuel Consumption readout (in addition to the utterly useless Instant Fuel Consumption readout).

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

Yes, there is an Average Fuel Consumption readout (in addition to the utterly useless Instant Fuel Consumption readout).

Well in that case, it's easy!   :beer:

Ok, went for it and reached 193 before the light came on. Must say,it was a relief to see it was so clear when hitting reserve, I imagined myself hammeriing along the fast lane of the M40 and feeling that 'oh shit' lurch that tells you there is roughly 3 seconds of fuel left...

Filled up at 200 miles and got 18.4 litres in so more than happy with that :)

• Member Contributer
On 4/12/2017 at 5:27 AM, Katie said:

Talking of which, when does the fuel gauge start flashing? Is it when there is one bar left or is when that bar has gone and the bit that has 'E' on it flashes? 

In my experience the low fuel warning comes on reliably at about one gallon remaining.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:52 AM, Skids said:

Mine has that.  It resets when I reset the A trip meter.

• Member Contributer

In that case I don't understand why folk are having difficulty.

Noticed a possible misunderstanding on my quote above....my commute is 101 miles per day so I fill up every 2 days at around 203 miles giving me around 10 miles to empty using 10.5 miles per litre average fuel consumption.

How many litres does the 8th gen tank hold? If you got 18.4 litres in that means you had how much left?

On my old 6th gen I could swear if not stuck in traffic or hammering it on a hot day I could probably stretch the reserve out anywhere from 60-70 km. It's a 22 litre tank, officially 3 litres left when reserve starts flashing and the only time I was ever worried was somewhere in a desert landscape in Spain, the petrol station we planned to use was closed... and we made it to the next and I still had a litre left. The bowser my mate used to fill his 4th gen actually marked 21.2 litres served. 4th gens have a 21 litre tank.

• Member Contributer

F-model is 21.5 litres, X-model is 20.8 litres.

So at 10 miles/litre average, the F should do 215 miles, the X 208 miles.

Archived