CHARGING SYSTEM... HELP!!!!!

So riding my new to me 5th gen for the first real road test battery went dead......Need to know how to go about repairing charging system. I am sure there is a topic already started on this but looked for a long time and did not find what I was looking for. I know the the 5th gens have an issue with the rectifier but how do I test it and how do I fix this issue, my first 5th gen I put 56,000 miles on and never had a issue outside of replacing a battery. I need to get this fixed asap. So if any of you fine people out there can kindly show me the way that would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you in advance 

• Member Contributer

Look at your stator connector and go buy a multi meter and check voltage across the battery at idle and 5000 rpm as a first step.

What is the mileage on this one?

So I removed the rear cowl today check all of the connectors, all are fine. Charged battery and test output and found output to be 12.5 volts that is not enough... What do I test next and does that mean the rec. is bad?

• Member Contributer

When you say "charged battery", I assume you mean with a battery charger.  How did you measure that 12.5v?  Is that just the battery, not connected to anything?  Was the bike running?  If so, how many RPM?

• Member Contributer

A dead battery does not necessarily mean the charging system is shot. Batteries die with age, vibration and normal wear and tear even if being charged properly while riding.  They have a life span like anything else.   The baseline of all charging system diagnosis is a healthy battery.  Have it load tested - Autozone, Batteries Plus and many others will do this for you for free.  If bad, replace.  Once the new one is installed, check your voltage across the battery at idle and 5,000 rpm.  If less than the low 14v area, go to the electrical forum and see the pinned threads on diagnosis and repair.  It's not really all that bad if you are methodical and follow the instructions step by step.  Good luck with it.

First battery went dead in traffic ran into wall mart got new one, took bike for ride and all gauges went to zero then bike stopped running. Had bike towed home, (the next morning found that they had bent my handle bars good times) charged battery, reinstalled in bike started bike, started bike, put tester on battery while running at idle and at 5000 rpm still only got 12.5 volts out of it..... 

• Member Contributer

So no charging at all . . . Time for "The drill" in the pinned posts - stator tests, inspect connectors, the works.  Oxgard is a big help in keeping connectors healthy.  Good hardware stores often have it.  

• Member Contributer

Well, the good news is that your battery should be fine!  (Both of them...)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Good luck with the well-known electrical issues with your fifth gen. Wire My Bike dot com sells a VFRness that is a good start along with a better r/r. That's the basis for my well performing fifth.

+1 for for "The Drill".

When you replace the regulator, note that most of the 2000 model VFR's will have 8 wires. ( 3 yellow, 2 red, 2 green and 1 black)

Also, install a volt meter. 

It becomes a simple VFR pleasure to see 14.8V looking back at you on a long ride in the middle of nowhere.

• Member Contributer

I got an R/R from roadster cycle.com, the shinedengen FH020AA. You will need to do some soldering and I drilled out two new holes in the factory mounting location to mount it. You should check into stator output as well as the stator may have overheated as the one in my 1999 did. 

On 7/4/2016 at 0:31 PM, zx9vfr800 said:

Has anyone ever use a rectifier from Eletrosport out of cali?

Yes, they (electrosport) charge around 18 volts, this is excelent if you want to turn your bike into a mobile camp fire, but not a good idea if you want to keep riding your bike.

You definitely want to stick with oem stators and newer shindengen rr's like the fh020aa or the sh847.

The RR's can be purchased from www.roadstercycle.com

The stator can be purchased from www.servicehonda.com

Stay away from chinese garbage like electrosport

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/7/2016 at 3:40 PM, zx9vfr800 said:

Thanks for the info everyone, now to just to free up the funds to buy parts....

A $20 Ebay RR from a Yamaha R1 cured my 99 VFR chargiing problems. It did require a custom wiring harness but that is a good idea anyway

So riding my new to me 5th gen for the first real road test battery went dead......Need to know how to go about repairing charging system. I am sure there is a topic already started on this but looked for a long time and did not find what I was looking for. I know the the 5th gens have an issue with the rectifier but how do I test it and how do I fix this issue, my first 5th gen I put 56,000 miles on and never had a issue outside of replacing a battery. I need to get this fixed asap. So if any of you fine people out there can kindly show me the way that would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you in advance 

I dealt with this a few years back.  Pretty much a pain in the but until i bought a vfrness from wire my bike and also replaced my r/r with an updated one from Rick's motorsports.  I also hooked up a voltmeter so i can see voltage all the time. My bike charges at 14.2 right around 4000 rpm.  I have long since forgotten all the charging issues.  A moderately expesive upgrade but well worth the time and energy troubleshooting.

• Member Contributer

Leeroth, go to the Electrical section under Modifications and take a look at the first 3-4 pinned threads.  That should refresh your memory!  Good luck.

Archived