VFR1200 Chrome Wheels

BLIGHT

Hi Guys,

I bought a set of used rims for my VFR1200 on ebay and had them chromed.

I like the look, and think they make the porky VFR look a lot lighter and a bit 'sportier'.

Here's a link to some more pics:  https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOA-Kns44H9K-5_rvWlNM-ofCDvUTB07zoBE9an

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

Major chicken strips, just put the new Conti-Attacks on, and rode around the block before the photos.

BLIGHT

Thanks! It's not for everybody, but it looks nice with the silver bodywork IMO

I had polished wheels on my 91 VFR750F years ago, and it was a beauty!

I still miss that little 750!

BLIGHT

PS: Photo doesn't really show the shiny wheels... I'll look for another!

VFR750 Beach.JPG

VFR750 Shiny Wheel.JPG

More important than the chrome bling, Left exit exhausts! Moar pics pls!

Time for a fender eliminator.
The link to more pics doesn't seem to be working for me.

9 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Hmmm, try this link to mo pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/107171422769758768095/albums/6299980649163107665

Also, here are some left exit pics (different muff): https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNzKgbbGsGfxM3SgjKngDJtOwbq89mtxpYZDOn5

I had to lower the muffler on the left to clear my OEM hard bags... I had it on there at a more jaunty angle before I got the panniers.

There is no muffler 'clearance' pocket on the left bag so I had to make a heat shield and drop the muffler a couple of inches.

I can't bob the fender (as much as I'd like) because those rectangular holes are where the bags hook on.

I did unbolt the unsightly OEM license plate bracket and made my own... just compare the pics to a stocker and you'll see what I did.

BLIGHT

14 hours ago, BLIGHT said:

Also, here are some left exit pics (different muff): https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNzKgbbGsGfxM3SgjKngDJtOwbq89mtxpYZDOn5

That link isn't working either. The bike looks really good though.

On 6/30/2016 at 6:16 AM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Try this one: https://goo.gl/photos/durS4rK1PNoysrbj6

And this one: https://goo.gl/photos/qCuSXswTboL51f7x5

Thanks.... hope these links above work.

Google Photos keep changing their 'share' methods and I'm totally frustrated with them.

It shouldn't be different every time I go to use it.

BTW, when are you going to make a Rapid unit for the VFR1200?

I have a Bazazz plug-in unit for the 1-2 gear power limitation removal.... works well, except the gear indicator shows 3rd gear in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Also put in a plug-in unit (enrichener) that connects to the airbox temp probe and has an external temp probe mounted in the airstream.

Really wakes up the bike, but I KNOW there is correct fueling and ignition map and ECU for this bike that would make it totally outrageous.

It already has 95 ft-lbs of torque which is monstrous. Guess I don't really need more power. :tongue:

BLIGHT

Did any of those photo links above work.... anybody?

Just curious. I may need to use PhotoBucket or another service for forum posts.

BLIGHT

4 hours ago, Tracer said:

They both worked for me.

Regards

Tracer

Thanks.... good to know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Was that a DanMoto exhaust on the left side I saw there prior to the Chrome Bling wheels? I had the same exhaust on my Tuono...a bit loud for my taste (went back to cored out stock Aprilia exhaust...)

Very nice!

-Dan

On 7/13/2016 at 10:50 AM, Rider14 said:

Was that a DanMoto exhaust on the left side I saw there prior to the Chrome Bling wheels? I had the same exhaust on my Tuono...a bit loud for my taste (went back to cored out stock Aprilia exhaust...)

Very nice!

-Dan

Thanks... I've tried 3 or 4 different muffler styles. I think it was a DanMoto GP style you were referring to. (curved outlet on the megaphone)

I usually buy my mufflers on AliExpress, a sort of Chinese ebay for manufacturers. Decent quality stuff at low prices.IMG_4887.JPG

All of the mufflers I've tried are pretty quiet with the 'db killers' (baffle) inserted.

However, with the baffles in, the VFR1200 really takes a hit on power output. It's quite noticeable.

So, for max power I settled on the current pipe shown above without the baffle... loud V4 snarl and nasty sounding but I like it a lot... with earplugs.

Someday I'd like to eliminate the cat-con and put a 2 into 1 collector in it's place. If you look at the cat-con it has 2 inlets and one large outlet.

I bet there is some restriction in the converter with the exhaust gas having to go through the honeycomb catalyst material inside.

I know... it would 'harm the planet'... but not as much as my Kawasaki 500 two-stroke triple! Or a small volcanic burp.

BLIGHT

On 7/15/2016 at 9:49 AM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Yes decatted and guhl tuned 1200's make stupid amounts of power. +160whp

This is how I would de-cat (below) with adding a third 2 into 1 collector.... not just gut the cat chamber like some have done.

DECAT VFR1200 PIPE.jpg.

That is K5Dave's exhaust pic.

I took slightly different route and removed a lot of rusty stuff form mine and I kept the stock cat can in place. 

Also fabricated some new parts so the system is now 100% stainless. Some pics:

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

exh0.jpg

On 7/18/2016 at 11:07 AM, veeefour said:

That is K5Dave's exhaust pic.

I took slightly different route and removed a lot of rusty stuff form mine and I kept the stock cat can in place. 

Also fabricated some new parts so the system is now 100% stainless. Some pics:

ex1.jpg

Very nice work!!! But why keep the catalytic box, unless you want to stay "green"?

Even if you gutted it, it's still not the best for power production ...no scavenging in the box.

Just one more two-into-one would give that final bit of efficiency I would think...that's what the aftermarket NC30 and RC30 pipes had IIRC

One more question... isn't the whole system stainless steel already?

On 7/18/2016 at 6:38 AM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Man that is beautiful work. Who's header is that, is there a build thread for it? Are those race cats or resonators??

Those little chambers are on the OEM VFR1200 headers. I think they are resonators since they have a perforated inner tube.

They can be eliminated or left in place with little or no effect on performance. Honda uses them on many of their motorcycle header systems.

Not sure who built these pipes, but they are stockers simply with the cat chamber removed, and a 2 into 1 S.S. collector welded into it's place.

They also welded in a single O2 sensor after that final collector. Nice!

BLIGHT

53 minutes ago, BLIGHT said:

Very nice work!!! But why keep the catalytic box, unless you want to stay "green"?

Even if you gutted it, it's still not the best for power production ...no scavenging in the box.

Just one more two-into-one would give that final bit of efficiency I would think...that's what the aftermarket NC30 and RC30 pipes had IIRC

One more question... isn't the whole system stainless steel already?

The can was left if place to stay "green" as noted - just to stay "civil" with authorities :tour:

It's faux in this moment - the outer shell only. The real "straight" pipes are inside. Pic no.4 shows it's 2>1 collector.

It's mostly stainless. Rear pipes, flanges, stop rings and those little "chamber" mufflers are mild steel.

Mine stop rings already started to rust. Pic. no. 3 shows mild steel parts.

Also, I changed the outer pipe dia. to 2" to match my Akrapovic. Akrapovic actually has 2" inlet but it was reduced with

5mm thick gasket to mach the OEM cat outlet pipe. Stock outlet pipe is like 43 mm(50,8 mm now).

6 hours ago, BLIGHT said:

Those little chambers are on the OEM VFR1200 headers. I think they are resonators since they have a perforated inner tube.

They can be eliminated or left in place with little or no effect on performance. Honda uses them on many of their motorcycle header systems.

Not sure who built these pipes, but they are stockers simply with the cat chamber removed, and a 2 into 1 S.S. collector welded into it's place.

They also welded in a single O2 sensor after that final collector. Nice!

BLIGHT

Okay that makes sense. I know that the 3rd gen had a resonator box, I think the 98/99 non catted headers were resonated and even the aftermarket Motad headers have the inner diameter of the collector wrapped in a steel chicken wire like mesh. My Two Brothers Racing headers have no sound deadening material and man can you tell, they have much more resonance and rasp to them than any other VFR. I can imagine that the resonators and catalytic converter on the 1200 probably cancels out some resonance and rasp as well. I would like to hear one with a modified header.

10 hours ago, veeefour said:

The can was left if place to stay "green" as noted - just to stay "civil" with authorities :tour:

It's faux in this moment - the outer shell only. The real "straight" pipes are inside. Pic no.4 shows it's 2>1 collector.

It's mostly stainless. Rear pipes, flanges, stop rings and those little "chamber" mufflers are mild steel.

Mine stop rings already started to rust. Pic. no. 3 shows mild steel parts.

Also, I changed the outer pipe dia. to 2" to match my Akrapovic. Akrapovic actually has 2" inlet but it was reduced with

5mm thick gasket to mach the OEM cat outlet pipe. Stock outlet pipe is like 43 mm(50,8 mm now).

Thanks for the info... I can see clearly now the rear header tubes are carbon steel up to the joints.

I forgot they had the 2 clamps there.... I was trying to see how Honda had welded carbon and stainless successfully.

I've never tried it, but I hear it's possible using a compatible filler like 309L SS between 304L and carbon steel.

Clever to put your 3rd 2 into 1 collector inside the lunch-box! Nice work!

BLIGHT

Archived